NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Skaven team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Undisclosed
Igor has it correct, and it's not even a bending of the rules. It might not be 100% within the spirit of the rules, but it's definetly not a bending.

As Galak said on the SG forum, if a coach wastesa WA Blitz to move the player, then it's one less player getting hit by a ST5/6 Mighty Blow block.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2006 - 11:36 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'm personnally of the opinon that it isn't even cheesy. Losing your one blitz a turn just to get a 2+ roll instead of a 4+ roll doesn't strike me as problematic in the slightest. How really can you abuse it? There are so few turns that you don't desperately need your blitz I can't see it be a significant unbalancing factor.

It might be against the spirit of a blitz but its certainly not abusive. Anyway the rules have changed so all the special actions are now optiona (you don't have to hand off, or foul or pass).

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Canada
What about the mentioned situation where the ball carrier has the ball and is able to go in for a TD, but there is nobody around for him to hit? By using this rule, they could abuse that ruling.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2006 - 08:25 AM

Undisclosed
Same this goes...they lose the blitz by using it this way. I think this is perfectly acceptable...

Do you think that an Elf player will mind about possibly not being the target of any hits in a given turn? I don't think so. All that AG4....there will be plenty of turns where no one is engaged...using your blitz to move the WA won't bother them in the least.

NAF Member #5236
---

Igor_TahavanaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Worcestershire
Cor lummey guv'ner, its not often that something gets this place excited, its like a graveyard around here most of the time Laughing Quick, someone mention ball stalling being totally acceptable and in the spirit of the game, that's always a good one Twisted Evil

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2006 - 05:42 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Spazzfist wrote:
What about the mentioned situation where the ball carrier has the ball and is able to go in for a TD, but there is nobody around for him to hit? By using this rule, they could abuse that ruling.

You've completely lost me there. Can you explain what you mean in more detail? Do you use Balrog's glory rule or something?

Igor_TahavanaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Worcestershire
      Quote:
Its not abuse, its treating the rules as its written. I tend to to play wild animals 'in the spirit of the game' and have only used the wording once to 'abuse' the rule, but that doesn't make it any less legal.

A blitz action may contain block, it doesn't have to. The word is may, not must.

Therefore it is still totally legal if your Rat Ogre has the ball six squares from the endzone to decalre a blitz, not hit anyone, and just run over the line. The benefit being you can now take that action on a 2 rather than a 4. The penalty being you have no 'propper' blitz action this turn.

The problem seems to be that you aren't letting go of the fact that you have to hit someone after declaring a blitz action. You don't. The same way you don't have to throw the ball after declaring a pass action. Yeah its a bit of a fudge (well actually it isn't, but it feels like one to the roleplayer in me), but you pay the price by not getting a 'hitting' blitz (lets be honest, how often do you give your WA the ball in a scoring position anyhow?)

antipixiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Bedford, UK
Boy did I open a can of worms!! Shocked

As I said before I thnk that it is perfectly acceptable, but would not usually use it since a wild animal is usually not a ball carrying sprinter, but more of a stave your opponents head in kinda of player.

But to really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.... what's wrong with stalling? (Again I don't tend to do it, although I would wait rather than GFI if I didn't have a reroll. I know my luck well!) But a bit of show boating when out of reach and rubbing your adversary's nose in his defeat. What's not in the spirit of the game? It not cricket you know!

Besides, if an Elf team who can easily score in 2 turns is your opponent and your score would take you to 2-1 with 2 or 3 turns left, then if you don't pause you're likely giving away a victory! If the Elf can't threaten your ball carrier then his defence is lacking. (Admittedly probably due to the damage recieved through out the match) Personally I don't see the difference between charging forward qucikly and then sitting near the line and an 8 turn 1 or 2 squares a turn rolling cage. Both have to be broken in pretty much the same way and can take just as many turns!

NOTE: As I have said, I don't do it, but if it done against me I try to work out how to make them pay for stoping! And if I can't I look at my defencive set up and look to how can I avoid it happening again.

Igor_TahavanaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Worcestershire
      Quote:
But to really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.... what's wrong with stalling?
Nah, I already tried that one, it just doesn't seem to work anymore Wink

I love ball stalling!!Bleedin' Elf pansies, you want it?Come and get it!! Twisted Evil

El_TimOffline
Post subject: Ball Stalling  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2006 - 12:35 PM

England

Ball stalling is a frowned on tactic, but in my opinion a perfectly viable one. Some teams need to stall in order to cut down on the number of turns their opponent gets to try and score back. It's not fun to play against but when winning is important (like in a tourney or cup game) then why not? It's not illegal or abusive, so I dont see any problem.

As for the wild animal using the blitz action to move on a 2+, whats the problem there? They're giving up their one blitz action for the turn to move, rather than smack someone. Also, how often do wild animals get the ball? Not very. Anyone that builds their attack around a wild animal either is optimistic or just mad. It kinda fits in with the stalling tactic, use only when winning is important to you.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Canada
Actually there was an interesting development at the Canadian Open where I stalled the ball, but at my own end zone!

I was playing my goblins vs. vampires, and managed to stop a breakaway vampire by knocking him on his butt,and then fouling him into oblivion. The accompanying thrall was disposed of by the fans with a tidy push.

As I was up 1-0 at this point, I did not see the point of picking up the ball and walking past the centre of the field where the rest of my team was being beaten to a pulp by the remainder of the vampire team. Apparently my opponent was having too much fun kick the crap out of me to notice that he was losing.

Evetually he did make a rush for the ball, but I had manageed to free a couple of my players from the middle and held him off.

But I figured if he was not going to come and get it, why should I hand deliver it to him?

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Canada
I did the same thing with my Skaven against Chaos Dwarfs. I was up 2-0, my Thrower just stood in my end zone for a couple turns while my linerats and stormvirmine just held up his fast players. Eventually a bull centaur made his way towards my thrower so I decided to move the ball abit and tossed it to a Gutter Runner to score again.

Kinda fun moving the ball from one end of the field to the other in 1 turn really.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic