NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 02:28 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fractured Leg! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eric.R.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Vancouver, BC
Are the 7's game and the DB final sanctioned for ranking? I was under the impression that only the standard game could be sanctioned.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 - 01:28 PM

Canada
      Eric.R. wrote:
Are the 7's game and the DB final sanctioned for ranking? I was under the impression that only the standard game could be sanctioned.

Yes and yes and I dunno.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Tournies can use any rules. If the tourney's sanctioned, all the games count. You could do a whole 7's tourney, or Streetbowl, or Beachbowl....

Cheers,
Maureen

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2006 - 04:11 AM

All Games count towards your NAF ranking. The Death Bowl round is a little tricky at times to figure out exactly who you'll be ranked against but it is still ranked. Basically for the DB round who you get ranked against depends on where you finished in that match. 1st gets ranked against 3rd and 2nd against 4th. Finishing place is determined by TD's scored, then casualties, then overall tourney points.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2006 - 07:01 PM

United States of America
should actually be 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, because you could end up with 2nd and 3rd tieing and 4th still losing.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 04:19 AM

1st should be paired up with the 4th place player at the table because it might be preserving a 2nd and 3rd place tie? Sorry ken but I'm not quite following the logic there. It might also be giving 1st place an easy win or 2nd an unfair loss. The two top players at the table get paired up with the two bottom players in order of occurance. How else could it possibly be fair? Everyone at the table can end in a tie so basing anything on the possibility that there could be a tie isn't getting ahead.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 05:43 AM

United States of America
Final score 2-1-1-0

2 is first player, 1 is 2nd + 3rd, 0 is 4th.

so first player should get win vs fourth. 2nd/3rd should get ties.

final round shouldn't be based on prior points unless used as a tie breaker.

if it happened to be 1-0-0-0. then first should get a win against the lowest rated team with the other two getting ties.

or if it's 2-1-0-0. 1st should get the win vs last and 2 vs 3rd.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 06:09 AM

That's not fair at all Ken. There has to be a fixed rule as to against whom you're going to be ranked. It can't be something "on the fly". That's begging for a problem.

gken1 wrote:
final round shouldn't be based on prior points unless used as a tie breaker.

Prior points are only used as a tie breaker, a second tie breaker after Cas Wink

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 08:04 AM

Canada
meh, i fyou don't win the game, you lost it, you didn't come 2nd in a deathbowl. Smile

What if a game was 1-1-1-0? Who gets the win and who gets stuck with a tie?

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Paul wrote:
What if a game was 1-1-1-0? Who gets the win and who gets stuck with a tie?

Depending on Cas and perhaps previous rankings the "winner" and "third" place coaches probably get a tie.

There could 100 what of scenarios and you can't make special rules for all of them. The only way that's fair across the board is to state how it'll be calculated up front and let people decide if they are playing for ranking or not from there.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 10:14 AM

Canada
Brian,

as long as the formula for a tie breaker is known to everyone (or at least everyone who bothers to read the rules) up front, whatever way you decide works for me.

Personally, I agree with gKen though, that the 1st and 4th place players should get matched up.

ie, if the game ended in a three way tie (ie the 1-1-1-0 scenerio I presented) the player with the most cas (or previous rankings) would finish first, but he only gets a tie, while the player who finishes second gets a win but he didn't do as well in the actual deathbowl game.

Can you imagine the fallout if Rod managed to finish in a three way tie and he got credit with a tie and not a win over the person who was shut out? He'd errupt in the forums.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Paul wrote:
as long as the formula for a tie breaker is known to everyone (or at least everyone who bothers to read the rules) up front, whatever way you decide works for me.

It's all in the rules on the website and in the TRB. Also I'm not the sole person who decided on the way it would be figured out. I had to get the ok from the NAF staff back when I ran the first Death Bowl. It's not as simple as deciding to change it now. It's not complicated either but it's not simply a matter of me wanting it one way or another. A precident has been set by the 3 previous events and there'd need to be a reason to change it.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 10:58 AM

In the Q'ermit thread Ken wrote..

gken1 wrote:
Death bowl is a slight maybe...it's right around when I leave so may not be possible---plus I don't like the Riot rule.....hate driving 10+ hours to lose 3 turns of a game to one dice roll and basically the game---which happened to me last DB.

And he's not the only person who expressed concern to me about last years kickoff table. So in light of that we'll be using the 4.0 kickoff table this year at Death Bowl. I know there were some issues with the kickoff table and the 7's round last year. Poor Glen got the shaft on turn one and it was downhill from there. Hopefully the 4.0 table will help fix that a little and we'll see from there if any further adjusting is needed.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2006 - 04:44 PM

We're starting to get a good sized crowd registered for Death Bowl inculding a few new faces which is always nice to see. Fresh blood and all Smile There's still plenty of space so get on over and register. Remember that coaches who pre-register will get a set of Death Bowl IV limited edition dice.

As you can probably tell by the Impact Miniatures banner now up on the website we've gotten some prize support from them. They've been kind enough to donate an Ice Troll, a Beer Garden Beauty w/Barrel Pyramid and an Imp Team (10 figures).

A few other small prizes thus far include a Res. gutter runner, a topless female FF player holding a helmet from Hassle Free (HFF001) and one each of the 2004 & 2005 Death Bowl tourney figs. I'm still working on getting a full game again.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Ok time to kick this into overdrive. We've got just under 2 months until Death Bowl! Yeah Baby!!

Prize support update..

I've got a little prize support in thus far and I'm expecting a fair amount more in the near future. Not wanting to count any chickens before they hatch though I'll just mention what I have in hand.

From Impact Miniatures we have
- 1 Snow Troll
- 1 Wench with Barrel pyramid
- 1 Imp pack of ten

From House Rulez thus far we have
- 2 signed BB novels, one signed by both JJ and Matt Forbeck
- 1 res gutter runner
- 1 Impact! mini's 10 pack of Deadlings
- 1 Street bowl board from Impact! mini's
- 1 HR 2004 tourney fig
- 1 HR 2005 tourney fig
- 2 female fantasy football figs from Hassle Free mini's
- 1 of the Chaos Cup "official figs"
- 1 aluminum team carrying case (better than last years)
- 1 aluminum team carrying case (same as last years)

I haven't heard back yet from GW or any of the local shops so I'm expecting that list to grow over the next 8 weeks.

Of course as always we have our lineup of custom trophies. This years first second & third place trophy figs have been upgraded to the special edition version of the figs. She's topless. Hey a little gratuitous nudity never hurts. Especially in Montreal Cool As always most of the trophies are hand made custom trophies with oak bases, tumbled marble tops and custom figs. We've got,

- 1st place
- 2nd place
- 3rd place
- Most TD's
- Most CAS
- Most Sporting
- Best Team

The Best Painted trophy this year will be getting a bit of a change to be the "Best Team" trophy. Having given Ben enough trophies Wink I figured this year we'd switch it up a bit and go with the best overall team based on theme, painting and originality.

And of course there's the most coveted trophy of all. The glorious Death Bowl Wooden Spoon. Now as fate would have it the spoon has been lost to a tragic house fire. Poor Steve got out with nothing more than the clothes on his back. Obviously, the spoon being just about the last thing someone is thinking about when getting out of a house fire, it went up in flames. At the moment I'm on the lookout for a replacement spoon. I've got a few leads and hopefully we'll have an equally large spoon for this years event. If not I'll hand out a temporary "mini spoon".

Also this year we've got the special awards for "The year of the Halfling" These include the silver plated Halfling Dinner Tray which the best Halfling team will get to take home for one year. Year of the Halfling awards include,

- The Halfling Dinner Tray
- Most Halflings killed in 1 turn
- Most Halflings killed in 1 half
- Most Halflings killed in 1 game

The Most Flings Killed awards will receive certificates and a prize pick.

Now of course I hate to leave anyone out when handing out prizes. This year I want to try and have as many pre-registered coaches as possible. It'll make planning the event so much easier. To that end I've had special edition Death Bowl IV dice made up and each coach who pre-registers for the Death Bowl will receive a free set when they sign in at the event. As is custom at the Death Bowl I'm also trying to get my hands on the 2006 HR fig but as of yet it's not in my hands. I'll give out more details on that when it shows up.

Thus far we've got 17 people pre-registered in the system an if everyone shows up who's said they will we should easily be 30 + coaches again this year. Gen Con had 44 this year boys and it would be sweet indeed if we could top that. I've still heard almost nothing from the American coaches. Mo's got here name on the list but I'm looking at the rest of you Boston/New York lads who could help us get those numbers up over 44.

Special Projects

Well I haven't had much time for special projects this year so there will be no repeat of last years new Death Bowl stadium this year. I am working on a new Halfling field that I hope will be ready in time but it won't be on the scale of Phantom Field or Carnage Colosseum. This years big special project has been the Death Bowl web site. The web site will take Death Bowl to the next level in terms of statistics management, team development and community building. It already has the ability to display teams and rosters as well as scheduled matches and results. The scripts for the web site are a lot simper to modify and create than scripts used in the "Nuke" style web sites. Once completed I hope to make it available for anyone who wants to upgrade their event web site.

Well that's about it for now. As always at Death Bowl you are our guests for the weekend and we aim to please. Water, soft-drinks & a brown liquid we like to call coffee are always available free of charge all weekend long and lunch is included in the entry fee for both days. Being the year of the Flings we'll also trey to have a supply of sticky buns available for our little friends with a sweet tooth.

Don't forget. Get yourself pre-registered today to ensure you get a set of Death Bowl dice.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic