NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:27 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dwarves are SO boring rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aerofoolOffline
Post subject: 3 questions...  PostPosted: May 13, 2003 - 08:41 AM

United States
There's been a bit of confusion in my league on a few things. I've tried to look up these in the LRB. Some seem obvious (though still causing confusion) and some just leave me scratching my head.

1 - AV/Injury Rolls - When someone is knocked down, the opposing coach rolls against the players AV. The LRB states that this roll is an attempt to beat the players AV. Somehow we've got players wanting to roll as a meet or beat situation instead of a beat only. Which is it? Example: A wood elf is knocked down and an AV roll is made against the WE's AV of 7. Would a roll of 7+ force the injury roll, or does it have to be an 8+?

2 - Following Up A Block - When you push someone down or back with a block and choose to follow up, do you have to make an AG roll to successfully make the follow up move if your player is in one or more opposing TZ's?

3 - Inaccurate Passes - When you throw an inaccurate pass, you must roll for scatter three times. Is this just rolling the D8 three times for the scatter template, or do you have to roll both a D8 AND a D6 (like kickoff) three times?

Thanks guys!

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: Re: 3 questions...  PostPosted: May 13, 2003 - 08:51 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      aerofool wrote:
1 - AV/Injury Rolls - When someone is knocked down, the opposing coach rolls against the players AV. The LRB states that this roll is an attempt to beat the players AV. Somehow we've got players wanting to roll as a meet or beat situation instead of a beat only. Which is it? Example: A wood elf is knocked down and an AV roll is made against the WE's AV of 7. Would a roll of 7+ force the injury roll, or does it have to be an 8+?

Beat means beat. So its an 8.

aerofool wrote:
2 - Following Up A Block - When you push someone down or back with a block and choose to follow up, do you have to make an AG roll to successfully make the follow up move if your player is in one or more opposing TZ's?

No, its a free move.

aerofool wrote:
3 - Inaccurate Passes - When you throw an inaccurate pass, you must roll for scatter three times. Is this just rolling the D8 three times for the scatter template, or do you have to roll both a D8 AND a D6 (like kickoff) three times?

Just the D8.

AgentrockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2003 - 09:10 AM

Agree on all 3 answers above!

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2003 - 12:29 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
amen

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2003 - 01:35 PM

United States
thanks guys! Ya really helped clear things up!

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 01:35 AM

Even I knew those answers, silly person Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 01:51 AM

Undisclosed
C'mon, Squig, be nice to the Bulldog people - they can't help it! Wink

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 09:02 AM

United States
Yeah, I'm a Bulldog and proud of it (MSU Class of 2000!)

As for the rules, yes the answers seem so obvious. But in a discussion with other guys from my gaming group shows there has been some mix-ups. We have a majority of newbies (out of 6 players, only 2 of us are not in our first season). Needless to say I have seen some wierd interperetations of the rules at times. These were the only three that made me step back and think am I even doing it right. I'm relieved to see that I was.
I admit that my lack of attending big tourneys, and sticking to playing only those in my home town whom I can see is a disadvantage for me. Especially when I'm playing with 4 people who are still learning the basics. Not to mention the Javabowl and PBeM are a little beyond me at the moment (how does this thing work again?? lol!) One day I promise to go to a tourney of some form!!

triplepow.com

AgentrockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 09:07 AM

aerofool wrote:
Needless to say I have seen some wierd interperetations of the rules at times. These were the only three that made me step back and think am I even doing it right. I'm relieved to see that I was.

Yeah...it happens quite a bit when you get different people in the rules looking at them from different points of view. It's a good thing though...it really tests the sturdiness of set rules at times.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 09:27 AM

Undisclosed
Hey, Aerodog, no harm here - we SEC people have got to stick together,
(especially if the ACC grows the way it looking like). Very Happy

We uncovered at least three rules before we got our league back up again that we were playing incorrectly and corrected this by reading the various posts and asking around. Perhaps you can make it up to DragonCon in Atlanta in August, if not GenCon in July. Your artwork stuff is first rate - don't worry so much about the rules, they'll come - just have a good time! Smile

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 12:14 PM

I never, ever interpret rules faulty. Really! I just roll a lot of 1s and lose THAT way! That's much more difficult to accomplish, you see... Like tomorrow, my proud 1000 points Majestic Horde of Father Nurgle's Finest Warriors (or should that be "small group of about 15 pock-marked guys, some tiny, fat, flea-bitten imps and a bunch of spotty Vikings"?) is gonna get butchered by a stupid Empire army, which will outnumber my Majestic Snotty-Nosed Losers by about 3 to 1 (and still claim to be only a 1000 points strong!). And I'm gonna roll a lot of 1s 'cause that's what I'm good at! But there's no way I will lose because I misunderstood the rules! Well, at least not more than one misunderstood rule per turn. Perhaps make that 2. Or three... But four at most!
But off course, we all know that Bulldogs have a lot less brain capacity than Squigs (Einstein was actually a sweeper's assistant until the day he got that Squig Brain Transplant and became the smartest man ever, which I cannot say about my classmate's french bulldog who just drools all day and bumps his head into walls if he isn't sleeping) so your questions may have seen too simple for a Squig-brained pointdexter like me, but in fact I did not realize about your canine cerebellum. My sincere apologies! From now on I'll be nice to bulldog people (even those that paint Wood Elf teams!) Razz
(I really should be doing useful stuff right now - like reading the Warhammer Rulebook - instead of typing junkmail like this Very Happy)

Martijn

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 12:16 PM

That must have been one of my longest posts ever...
Next time I'll write an essay about Why I Suck At Playing Tennis At Friday Morning, With A Severe Hangover... Cool

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2003 - 01:43 PM

United States
Hey OMM, you've gotta point there. Us SEC fellas do need to hang tight~
I'm already looking to paint an ogre team in M-State Maroon n White!

Yes, it always seems like a learning process. Especially every time you introduce new people into the fold. Each one will find a way to interperet at least one rule in a new perspective.

Atlanta in August seems a lot more possible for me than the "big one" in Chicago. It just comes down to if I can afford the trip. I just got married this past April, and we're still in the "budgeting" phase. We'll see. let's just leave it at I'm making plans to be there...

Thanks for the comments on my work. I'm a freelance graphic artist when I'm not working my day job (no it's not finding more things for Squiggoth to insult me on, lol). I'll make it a point to post some team logos and more of my painted models in the near future.

Hey Squig, I never lose to not knowing the rules either. I keep the rulebook not only at hand but open the whole game. My BB losses come from turns where I don't get a chance to move (first block thrown botches or a guy falls flat on his face on the first GFI roll). As for WHFB, my HE have been holding up a lot better than my TK who had their butts handed to them this past weekend by a ravening horde of stinky rats. I'll admit I was just plain out-classed in magic. Imagine that.....

triplepow.com

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2003 - 01:22 AM

aerofool wrote:
Hey Squig, I never lose to not knowing the rules either. I keep the rulebook not only at hand but open the whole game. My BB losses come from turns where I don't get a chance to move (first block thrown botches or a guy falls flat on his face on the first GFI roll). As for WHFB, my HE have been holding up a lot better than my TK who had their butts handed to them this past weekend by a ravening horde of stinky rats. I'll admit I was just plain out-classed in magic. Imagine that.....

Eh? Tomb Kings being outclassed in Magic by the only race (except Dwarfs of course) that doesn't even have proper hero-level mages? WOW! You're as unlucky as me! I can't even afford a sorceror in a 1000 points army because otherwise I would be down to 30 models in my army, so my pustulent ass is gonna get fried tonight by some stupid fire wizards (and people say Empire Armies suck...) Very Happy

Anyway, I have once managed to fail to pick up a ball with sure hands four turns in a row (and off course every time I tried it was the start of turn because it's one of the least risky actions you can ever try to make with an Orc team). I lost that match 0-5 for some reason. And last Sunday I fouled a High Elf with 6 assists, barely managed to beat the armour value (rolled a 3), and rolled another 3 for the Injury Roll. And off course the ref sent the Goblin off and my opponent's pointy-eared Linemen KILLED 3 of my players in the next 2 turns. Try to beat that!
Where's a shamrock when you need one,

Martijn

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2003 - 01:23 AM

By the way, I DID win against them stupid High Elves... There's always an Ogre and some spare Goblins when you need them Wink

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic