NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:09 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Borak knows Blood Bowl. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WallyTWestOffline
Post subject: Pitch Definition.  PostPosted: Dec 25, 2007 - 10:23 AM

Nottingham, NH

What constitutes an official NAF pitch?

Dimentions?
Square Sizes?

I noticed other sport organizations have detailed regulations on what dimensions and materials make a pitch. (Games like Ping Pong and Football) Even if it was a sarcastic document I think it would mean a lot. An official NAF document or somthing.)

(Saying this as I look down at 25mm squares on a friends custom pitch. What is an "aceptable" pitch square?)

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Pitch Definition.  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2007 - 04:36 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The pitch is 26 squares long and 15 wide, with the widezones 4 squares wide and the endzone 1 square and the LOS down the middle. You can probably pick one up second hand off eBay quite cheaply (or maybe even buy one from the GW HQ shop in Lenton).

The size of the squares isn't important - except in relation to the range ruler used to measure passing. If you are building a custom board I'd recommend an oversized pitch - 30-35mm squares.

WallyTWestOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 27, 2007 - 09:58 PM

Nottingham, NH

Meh,

What is the BB pitch square size? (In the box.) Custom pitches in my area seem to range from anywhere between 25mm to 30mm. I understand the value of a oversize pitch square, but it comes down to material costs.

I am trying to create 6 pitches for a local league that is starting up between me and some friends. I would like to use sheets of 2'x4' MDF board as a source material for the Pitches. @ 23mm per square I can fit the full BB grid in, and initially I thought that this was the standard size of a BB pitch. My source information came from a pitch PDF that I had downloaded.

However it became painfully obvious in the Pre Season (learning) games I had played last Friday that the pitch squares where indeed too small for the larger prices in game play. Worse yet a test pitch that had been crafted was on the 23mm scale and failed to accommodate play. (My understanding is that these big guys have always been a sore spot in game play and grids.)

This is a real concern for me, I had planed to craft boards and attempt to trade them for teams online. ($ is a little problem for this coach.) But to craft boards with 30mm squares creates 2 problems.

1. The pitches become huge! (not really a problem for play, but storage.)
2. The material cost increases.

At 23mm the pitches end up being 2' long, at 30mm the pitches ends up at 32" by 18". I???m literally looking at 3 times the construction cost. Are 23mm pitches something that someone would even want to trade for?

I guess my question is this, are these ???23mm??? pitch squares cricket with NAF play?

thechosengobboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 09:02 AM

Warrington, England
According to my tape measure, a standard BB board has 30mm squares.

As for trading teams for boards, I think it's a nice idea. In fact, send me a PM when you're done, and I'll probably want to cut a deal with you myself (REALLY need a spare board). I'm sure I'll be sick of my orcs by then Wink

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 11:59 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I personally would not purchase a pitch with 23mm squares. A standard base would not even fit in the square let alone a Big Guy one. If you cannot handle a normal base diameter ... just not my cup of tea.

Galak

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2007 - 03:50 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The official board squares are uneven size! IIRC 29mm is about the average

Like Galak said 23mm is too small for normal minis so won't be popular.

There are plenty of people who have created folding mdf boards with hinges. Maybe that helps with storage?

WallyTWestOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 12:06 AM

Nottingham, NH

I will be modeling these boards in two halves. How they would be put together is still under some local debate. 28mm squares and a fully textured pitch with flock, likely would fold in half and have some kind of turn marker built into it.

I do like the idea of trading pitches for teams. Anyone interested in this prospect is welcome to PM me. (Interest does not bind you to anything, its just to help me calculate the number of boards and interest in the project.) I am willing to create up to 6 additional pitches. Surplus teams will help New England coaches starving for some senseless violence.

It is unfair to say what would be expected in trade. (The trade equation looks a little like this. 1 Pitch + Pitch Shipping = X Pewter/Teams + Team Shipping.) The value of the pitch and the teams are speculative in nature and its unfair to judge what the exact value of the trade until the first new-size prototypes are created and photographed. I would like to avoid shipping outside of North America.

On the bright side; Cut the first pieces of MDF today, I???m feeling very good about this project.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 02:52 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
So your aren't in Nottingham, England then? LOL.

WallyTWestOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Nottingham, NH

Nope, Nottingham NH. (Trying to make that go away, cant figure out what I did wrong with setup.)

These would ship out of New England (as opposed to Old England). Thus shipping to Canada is actually not too expensive.

But if you where inquiring about what Nottingham looks like across the pond? It lies 30 minutes from the New Hampshire coast. It is home 120 cows and 5000 people (200 of who are nudists in a gated community, a section of town to be avoided.). We have a town hall where we argue a lot, an elementary school, 5 stores (1 Herbal Shop, 1 Hardware Store and 3 General Stores) and a Timber Mill. Founded May 10, 1722.

And a great deal of wood. Seriously, you could get lost out there and eatten by wolfs/ coy dogs.

And no GW headquarters.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2007 - 11:15 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
LOL.

You can change the Location field if you go to Profile, then to Change Post Nuke profile and right near the bottom is the Location field.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2007 - 06:08 AM
Former President

England
Go for 29mm. Here's why:

Deathwing wrote:

"Again, I'd use the overall board size and divide. Measuring one square is not the way to go IMO, cumulative error and all that.
Board length is somewhere close to 756mm..divide that by 26 and it gives you 29.07.
Do 28mm squares and 28*26 gives you 728...a 28mm difference. Or equivalent to a square shorter in overall length. Use 30 and you'll be 24mm or equivalent to most of a square longer.
Width is 440mm. Divide that by 15 and you get 29.33. If you use 29mm squares you'll get a total width of 435..a difference of 5mm which is perfectly fine.

Of course it all depends how anal you want to be in replicating the original size, but I'd go about in by starting with a 752 x 435 rectangle and mark off the squares at 29mm. HTH. "

I guess most of us could live with 4mm overall shorter and 5mm overall narrower. Smile

QuadrasonicOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Tokyo

I am with Galak and Deathwing. If you go much smaller than 29MM, you will need to use smaller models.

In the extreme case:

thechosengobboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Warrington, England
That's actually pretty impressive...

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2008 - 08:13 AM

Canada
That is ace quadrasonic. Those are Epic models right?

jtb

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2008 - 10:48 AM

Canada
If magnetized, such a board could be used to play BB on plane or car trips. I may have to see if I can make one of these.

Cramy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic