NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:09 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Deathwing is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Suggestions for wood elves  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 12:01 AM

United States of America

I've been thinking about trying this sometime in the future:

1 Wardancer
1 Thrower
1 Treeman
8 Lineelves

2 rerolls
Free fan factor 5

I like the idea of a linebreaker tree that can tie up other team players and force dodge rolls, and considering how slowly they develop I think having them from game 1 may be a bonus. I also have two great looking models too...

Any suggestions?

Reply with quote Back to top
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Suggestions for wood elves  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 12:23 AM

United States of America
play a different team

lol

Great Job on the Spring season
I thought you were gonna repeat

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject: RE: Suggestions for wood elves  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Glasgow UK
I don't think starting with a thrower is optimal.

A catcher is a far better player for your 90k than a thrower.

Other than that, a tree in starting league roster is not a bad choice.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: RE: Suggestions for wood elves  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Undisclosed
Doesn't the tree slow the team down?

Sure he can be a huge sponge for punishment, but on a team that might get outnumbered easily anyway...why would you want to start with such a slow player? He is easily avoided by the teams with the most to fear from the strength and he may even take root making him completely useless. (At least on the fling team he can still throw team mate. Here he can become nullified by a roll that you have to make each turn. So does any big guy? Sure they all have to make the roll, but if they fail it does not last the entire drive.)

I would spend that money elsewhere in order to keep the team fluid. Especially on D when you will need to be able to react to a shift from your opponent...or to exploit the ball-popping heroics of the wardancers.

NAF Member #5236
---

FranticOffline
Post subject: RE: Suggestions for wood elves  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2008 - 03:36 AM

Sweden
I have never played the wood elves, but if i´m going to do so i will probebly try the eleven linemen theory. And buy RR and FF for the rest of the money.

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2008 - 09:03 PM

Port Hope Ontario
I know the reasons behind a treeman but I have never fully seen their usefulness. All I've seen a treeman do is stand on the line of scrimmage and then get left behind as everyone goes right past it. It might be better to spend the money on more positionals to keep the fluidity that KarlLagerbottom mentions.

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2008 - 06:17 AM

Glasgow UK
A Tree is VERY useful for a Wood Elf team in a league. Replacing a elf on the LOS every time you kick is golden.

He doesn't help on offense much, can cause a cage problems with his high ST & Stand Firm.

But he saves some attrition and that's why he's useful.

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Port Hope Ontario
Having played against a treeman a few times, when I see him set up on the line when the other team kicks I set my guys up out of his range. He can only move 2 squares so that doesn't give him much range. Even a Dwarf can outrun him. Yes his armour is hard to beat but his speed is easy to trump. Yet all points aside, the end result is up to mosalva. I suggest he try a few proxy games to see what best configuration works for him.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2008 - 08:26 PM

Undisclosed
Yep...I can agree to this...especially if he likes the model and really wants to play with it. Smile

EDIT: Hey...did I mention that my slayer is a lumberjack? Very Happy

NAF Member #5236
---

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 10, 2008 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Having played against a treeman a few times, when I see him set up on the line when the other team kicks I set my guys up out of his range. He can only move 2 squares so that doesn't give him much range. Even a Dwarf can outrun him..

If you stay away from the tree then you're also staying away from the 2 elves parked right next to it which is only good news for the wood elf coach.
Besides soaking up a lot of damage (which is vital for a wood elf team) the treeman (even when rooted on the first turn) also forces your opponent towards the sidelines from the start instead of a caging drive through the middle. This makes it a lot easier for the elves to slow down and stop the cage. Combine this with a frenzy wardancer and your opponent will be sweating!
Vs soft teams the tree is good because it can actually cause some cas! And once wood elves get the numbers advantage the score can rack up pretty high.

IMO you should always take the tree in a league (tourney is different) because it will likely spare you a few dead (and expensive to replace) line elves. UNLESS you play in a very short league, in which you can't afford to wait to save up for all those positionals. In that case don't take the tree and upgrade 2 linemen to catchers.

Quote:
Hey...did I mention that my slayer is a lumberjack?

Another factor why taking a tree is good. Some people just can't help themselves and throw everything at it. Which is just what the wood elf coach wants.
I am now winning a pbem game because my opponent couldn't resist fouling the tree with a bunch of assists which gave me the opportuninty to recover the ball from him and score.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic