NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:13 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Champions of Death to open bar. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Chaos Dwarves coaches, help!  PostPosted: Jun 05, 2008 - 11:57 PM

United States of America

Here in LA we just finished our league, and my Nurgle Chaos were pretty succeful, making it to the final and losing to a powerful bunch of orcs. Now for the next season I just put together a Chaos Dwarf team, but my experience with it is somewhat limited, specially with the LRB5 changes.

As it stands, I have 3 Dwarves, 2 Centaurs, 6 hobbos and 4 re-rolls. We use the free Fan Factor 5 thingy. My Questions:

Is it worth swapping something for a minotaur?
WHat roles are Bull Centaurs really meant to play?
What skills should Bull Centaurs go for first?
Any suggestions on scoring tactics?

Mau
ps: I also posted another message with questions regarding the woodies.

Reply with quote Back to top
MootazOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:07 AM

Undisclosed
Always start with 6 Dwarves.

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 08:36 AM

**Is it worth swapping something for a minotaur?
You can't really have everything here. 4 re-rolls is overkill. I'd go down to 3 (or even 2) to get the max Dwarves.

**WHat roles are Bull Centaurs really meant to play?
These guys are great players. Blitzer is the primary role, I guess. But get them the ball if you have a chance (and a margin of error on the board) and score with them.

**What skills should Bull Centaurs go for first?
Block and then Break Tackle is what I see most often. Usually, in that order.

**Any suggestions on scoring tactics?
Be patient. Beat up your opponents and run the ball in.

Hope this helps!!!

GeckilianOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 09:09 AM

I've found a Minotaur to be a liability, as if he gets knocked over it's a 4+ roll with loner to get him back up again. Not fun. Personally I'd always go with 5 Dwarfs, 2 Centaurs, 4 Hobgoblins, 3 Re-rolls and some cash saved.

Centaurs really are the stars. Everyone I've played rarely expects to see them cover so much ground, with an effective movement of 9. Use them for key blitzes, but leave ball carrying to the Hobgoblins unless you like taking chances and burning re-rolls... If they do miraculously get the ball, they're great at fast scoring. As for skills, Block and Break Tackle as mentioned. I go for Block first as people tend to target them, but others swear by Break Tackle first, allowing for dodges on a 2+ to prevent them getting tied down.

For scoring tactics, I tend to use a Hobgoblin to grab the ball and run as far as it can, protected by a Dwarf cage with the Centaurs hanging slightly back to take care of anything when it arises. If you don't mind a 4+ pick up, having a Centaur grab the ball and run with it, caged by Dwarfs and the other Centaur, is also a good tactic, as cage breakers like Wood Elf Wardancers tend to fare worse against strength 4 with Guard assists...

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 07, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Glasgow UK
      Geckilian wrote:
I've found a Minotaur to be a liability, as if he gets knocked over it's a 4+ roll with loner to get him back up again. Not fun. Personally I'd always go with 5 Dwarfs, 2 Centaurs, 4 Hobgoblins, 3 Re-rolls and some cash saved.

I agree with this. No mino, 3 rerolls.

As for Bull skills, I favour Break Tackle first.

Bulls are primarily blitzers and BT helps them with this more than Block.

Dodge with BT 1/6 TO, block without Block skill 1/9 TO
Dodge without BT 1/2, block with Block skill 1/36

After that, I get one Tackle, & Mighty Blow and the other Frenzy & Stand Firm.
But the second role could be done by a mino if you wish.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 07, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Undisclosed
Just throwing my two cents in here, but I have seen many people use one of the Bull Centaurs as a ball carrier. Their speed and strength makes them hard to catch and take down. Sure Hands helps them in this role alot...it helps them pick-up the ball and foils those nasty Strip Ball WarDancers and their ilk.

You are not going to be passing the ball much and the hob goblins can't really maintain the grinding running game for long..sure they are not on their own...and I am not saying to use a BC as a primary ball carrier, but developing both BCs as blitzers may be overkill.

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Canada
I really like carrying the ball with BCs. I try to get them to 6 SPPs as soon as I can (I usually do so in two games for both of them). Usually, I go Break Tackle on one, Block on the other. First Hobbo to level gets Sure Hands, unless something funky like +1 ST or doubles gets out!

Fred

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2008 - 07:24 PM

Undisclosed
      SBG wrote:
I really like carrying the ball with BCs. I try to get them to 6 SPPs as soon as I can (I usually do so in two games for both of them). Usually, I go Break Tackle on one, Block on the other. First Hobbo to level gets Sure Hands, unless something funky like +1 ST or doubles gets out!

Fred

Who is this? Smile

Welcome Back Fred!

NAF Member #5236
---

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2008 - 07:37 PM

Canada
Thank you Rob! You haven't notice my "Any Friends Left" Thread?

Fred

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2008 - 07:07 PM

One of the BCs can be made into one of the best Runners in Blood Bowl, by giving him Break Tackle followed by Sure Hands. It is very hard to bring down a ST4 ball carrier. Scoring TDs is also the best way to skill up a BC (they are very "hungry" for Skill Advances). Because of his tendency to drop the ball (1/4 times) you should get into the habit of moving a Hobgoblin next to the ball first for safety. Do not go for it with a BC unless you have to (he will fail his GFI when it is most painful).

Then you might give him Kick-off Return, Juggernaut, Grab and he will punch his way through most defences in (say) 3 turns, sometimes in 2 if your opponent does not have Kick. With his MA of 9 (with Sprint/Sure Feet) combined with Break Tackle he is also good at handing off to a waiting Hobgoblin, making it difficult to defend against.

The second BC can be made into one of the best Blitzers in Blood Blowl (also starting with Break Tackle) followed by (say) Wrestle, Tackle, Pro. But this second BC will skilll up slowly compared to the Runner.

Ideally 4 of the CDs can be given Mighty Blow/Piling On, with (on a doubles) Claw. The other 2 CDs can be given Guard/Stand Firm. The CDs are so good, you should always look to start a roster with all 6 of them. They are the engine room of the team.

The Hobgoblins can be developed into surprisingly good "reserve" Blitzers, starting with Wrestle/Fend, followed by Tackle, Pro. Dodge is a good option for HGs on a doubles. One of the HGs can be developed into a "Thrower" (reserve Runner) with Sure Hands, Kick-off Return, Pro. A Hobgoblin Dirty Player early in the proceedings is handy.

I regard the Mino as quite weak in this roster. You will find yourself blitzing with the BCs all the time, once they have Break Tackle. So the Mino will tend to stand around doing nothing...

My preferred starting roster is 1 BC, 6 CDs, 6 HGs, 3 RR. First purchase: an Apoth. This is also a good tournament roster

Hope this helps.

Smeborg

mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Rolled doubles...  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2008 - 11:11 PM

United States of America

One of my CD rolled doubles for his second skill (16spp). He already has Guard as his first skill... I'm not sure what would be best...Dodge to decrease the chances of him getting knocked over? Claw (even though his is a supporting role)? Stand firm (obvious but then again, I can pick that one up with any other roll)...

Suggestions please

SierraKiloBravoOffline
Post subject: Re: Rolled doubles...  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Dublin CA
      mosalva wrote:
One of my CD rolled doubles for his second skill (16spp). He already has Guard as his first skill... I'm not sure what would be best...Dodge to decrease the chances of him getting knocked over? Claw (even though his is a supporting role)? Stand firm (obvious but then again, I can pick that one up with any other roll)...

Suggestions please

Claw. Definitely Claw. If he gets to 31, then give him mighty blow and everything he hits has the effective AV of a halfling.

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2008 - 03:48 AM

Glasgow UK
      smeborg wrote:

My preferred starting roster is 1 BC, 6 CDs, 6 HGs, 3 RR. First purchase: an Apoth. This is also a good tournament roster

I consider 2 BCs to be essential in a starting roster.
Especially a tournie roster.

I would pick Claw if it was the first skill up for a CD blocker but not after Guard.

Diving Tackle & Prehensile Tail will keep players next to him for others to hit.
Foul Appearance will keep him standing so he can assist more time.
Side Step to put him in better places to assist more.

All of these are above Claw for me.

PubBowlerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2008 - 03:52 AM

Glasgow UK
      smeborg wrote:

I consider 2 BCs to be essential in a starting roster.
Especially a tournie roster.

I would pick Claw if it was the first skill up for a CD blocker but not after Guard.

Diving Tackle & Prehensile Tail will keep players next to him for others to hit.
Foul Appearance will keep him standing so he can assist more often.
Side Step to put him in better places to assist more.

All of these are above Claw for me.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic