NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 05:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zara thinks you're cute. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DraakusOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bad form?  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Australia
      Spazzfist wrote:
Shot down once again......

Why do I even bother posting! Smile

because its fun for people to shoot you down Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bad form?  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Canada
      Draakus wrote:
      Spazzfist wrote:
Shot down once again......

Why do I even bother posting! Smile

because its fun for people to shoot you down Wink

Then I would like to pose the following question: Is it bad form to pick on as easy a target as me? Embarassed

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bad form?  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2008 - 11:09 PM

United States of America
only because it is you, YES!

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject: Re: Bad form?  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Portugal
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Is it bad form if you have control of the ball and there is NO way for the other team to stop you from scoring to continue to batter his players (you have already technically won)

IMO no, it is not.
Its just a way like many others to play the game in some particular moment.

It can however in some circunstances be quite boring, and/or even disapointing to the opponent when he's watching the turns go by, and theres nothing he can do.

Some of the experiences I've seen with similar situations (both with me playing, or just watching) is that the player waiting for the opponent to score tends to gang his players up for casualtys and fouls ("since he cant get to the ball..."), and more often then not it works, and he gets a couple of CAS for his players (must be nuffle playing around...).

Anyway, thats why many players in the league I regularly play particulary avoid that stalling, as it might bring some kind of "bad omen" to the team... Laughing

Cheers
Axt

DarkOrk20Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2008 - 09:51 AM

United States of America
This is something that I have thought about before. I was playing Morpheus during GenCon Bowl this past year. He was playing dwarves and I was playing Orcs. He had given me a good beat down and was stalling for four turns by the end zone. I ended up giving him a lot of crap for bad sportsmanship and eventually he scored.

Afterwords, I thought about it and decided that I was more upset with myself and my considerable lack of players on the field not being able to put on enough pressure to get him to score.

The goal of any game is to win. Having fun is part of that as well. I always expect my opponents to try to win the game. If that means stalling then it should be your job to not let him stall.

Bottomline, my opponent stalled for 4 turns because I was unable to put enough pressure to get him to think it wasn't ok. Then I resorted to a verbal assault to bully, guilt, and manipulate him. I still lost the game and had fun after I got over it. Thanks Morpheus for being a good friend.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2008 - 04:30 PM

United States of America
okay say Morpheus pinned your players out and continued to beat the tar out of you even know he virtually had the win

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2008 - 04:40 PM

Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
okay say Morpheus pinned your players out and continued to beat the tar out of you even know he virtually had the win

Even that one can be tricky, because I thought I had the win when I stalled until turn eight, but then the riot happened and my opponent had two turns to score for the tie and did. Then DS and Cramy pointed out (quite rightly) that he did not even need the riot, (althought that made it a whole helluva lot easier).

But even still, you could be winning 3-0 and still stalling, and during a tournament this may be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, as the tourneys I attend have the +/- of the TDs as one of the tiebreakers, I would want to do everything in my power to ensure that I was minimizing the number of TDs scored against me, even if that means beating the tar out of his few remaining players whilst I sit on the goal line. Besides which, most tourneys are resurrection style, which means that your players are all going to be fresh and new after that miserable game is over!

Leagues may be using this same system, where TD +/- is worth something, if even only bragging rights. Although you have to consider the long-term effects, which is that the teams do not resurrect as they do in tourneys, but then hey! You are removing the competition!

I hate being on the end of the wrong end of the boot in these situations, but do try to remember that it is part of the game!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CirrustheBlueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2008 - 02:35 AM

It kinda stinks when this happens, but a good way to get out of it is to STAY DOWN!!!!! Assuming there's no way you can put up any kind of a fight in response at least. ie. fighting a team with 6 Strength upgraded players and Block/Guard across the entire roster by mid first-season. That's a true story. Very Happy

This basically leaves their options rather closed off otherwise besides either 1. running out the clock, or 2. just scoring that darned TD already! If they decide to drag out the game by fouling you after this fact, then that just shows what kind of player they are. Razz If you CAN in fact put up any kind of a fight though, by all means, DO IT!! Even if it just gets your guys that much closer to his in order scare him into moving his ballcarrier the last space after 4 turns of standing around like a wad.

- Cirrus

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2008 - 06:03 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Spazzfist wrote:
you could be winning 3-0 and still stalling

Stalling when tied - perfectly fair and I'd never have issue with it.
Winning by 1 and stalling, maybe you have a valid reason, but not that often.

Winning by 3 and stalling? That really deserves a kick up the *&)@.

This is a game. A game meant for two people to enjoy. Play competitively and try to win - but this isn't a solo game so don't forget your opponent.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic