NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 05, 2024 - 03:44 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Borak knows Blood Bowl. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 - 01:55 PM

Canada
Only problem I would see with planning to go next year is that the 2nd World Cup is being held in October of 2011 and I want to plan for a team of us from Canada to attend. Would love to attend the Spike but don't think this year will be a possibility as I am already committed to attend a tourney in September. If for some reason the World Cup plans fall through then I would gladly attend.

Reply with quote Back to top
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 - 02:22 PM

United States of America
What are they thinking 3 majors within a month of each other
they might as well move Dungeon bowl to either August or November

lordchaosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 - 11:50 PM

Spike 2007 was held in June in Calgary. Spike 2008 and 2009 were in August in Vancouver and we decided to move it to September this year for several reasons already stated. I think it's a great idea to have it close to the Chaos Cup so Europeans can turn a North American vacation into a BB fest.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2010 - 02:23 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
What are they thinking 3 majors within a month of each other
they might as well move Dungeon bowl to either August or November

The Spike! Magazine will be held Sept. 11th&12th. The Chaos Cup Sept. 25th&26th probably. The Blood Bowl was held in May last year I believe, and Dungeonbowl 2010 is being held March 13th&14th. That's 2 in one month, or a fortnight like tennis majors, and then one more 6 months away, and the other 2 months after that. This is not 3 majors within a month of each other.

As far as a perfect calendar formation for the Majors, like 1 every 3 months, this has never happened. As much as I admit that I'm conscience of when the other Majors occur when picking a date, I've talk to Tom but I have not talk to the other tournament organizers when it comes to coordinating dates around the Blood Bowl or Dungeonbowl.

As for the Spike and the Chaos Cup being in the same month again it's deliberate. We wanted to move the Spike out of the summer due to our lack of gamers in heat, and Tom wanted to move the Chaos Cup up a couple of weeks into September to get away from the cold.

As there are few North American tournaments compared to Europeans, having them within two weeks of each other makes it more likely that somebody from Europe might attend both. Plenty of guys take vacations for 2 weeks. Won't happen that often I admit, but it's far more likely than if they were months apart. Same goes for Central North Americans that might want to go to both.

Bottom line is September works for both of us, but the fortunate byproduct of that is cross-travelling. I'd like nothing better than to organize the Spike, wrap up, and then hop on a flight to play in the Chaos Cup 2 weeks later.

WeavOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2010 - 09:15 PM

United States of America
I should be there with my Dark Elves

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2010 - 04:19 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Dark Elves are a pretty good team for 6-game swiss resurrection tournament with TV 110. The right skill picks can make that team really annoying for tournament play especially when you don't have to worry about getting hurt as your team regenerates inbetween games.

Looking forward to seeing you out if you can make it this year. Very Happy

WeavOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2010 - 10:41 PM

United States of America
Luckily this tournament is far enough from the OFCC's to make it possible. Your brother/cousin/whatever gave me a decent lashing at the WFB OFCC for not trying to make it. He was right though, and I really want to experience it this year.

There will be a painting award, right? I'm quite proud of my 2nd edition Dark Elves, and I hope they can be competition fo the award. I don't have any significant conversions, but I think the actual painting is quite nice.

I assume all non-GW models are off limits, correct?

WeavOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2010 - 10:42 PM

United States of America
And if I can't get the DE's done, I'll bring my Khemri team. I didn't paint it, but it's real nice.

WeavOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2010 - 10:48 PM

United States of America
I notice Saturday evening is open gaming. I'll probably bring a copy of Elfball and grind if anyone wants to try them out.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 17, 2010 - 08:44 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      Weav wrote:
Luckily this tournament is far enough from the OFCC's to make it possible. Your brother/cousin/whatever gave me a decent lashing at the WFB OFCC for not trying to make it. He was right though, and I really want to experience it this year.

There will be a painting award, right? I'm quite proud of my 2nd edition Dark Elves, and I hope they can be competition fo the award. I don't have any significant conversions, but I think the actual painting is quite nice.

I assume all non-GW models are off limits, correct?

Mike is my brother.

Yes there is a painting award. If you play a non-GW team you will still be graded on your paint scores as far as Best Overall goes, but to win the individual painting award you will need to play with GW models as this is a GW Major. Proxies are fine so long as they are GW proxies.

Yes we will still host open gaming on Day 1 for people who want to get together and play Catann, Puerto Rico, Chaos of the Old World, Arkham Horror, Dominion, Munchkin or whatever. Really just an excuse to hang out and drink at the hotel.

Looking forward to September! Very Happy

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Canada
I believe that is the plan.S.

lordchaosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2010 - 11:58 AM

I planned on playing open gaming last year but I ended up just getting drunk. MMMM expensive beer.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 - 10:19 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Just heard on 3 Dice Block that someone was working on a website for the Spike event. I did not catch the website name but I wanted to make sure that whoever was doing this knew that the NAF pays to have a hosting site and domain for the Spike already (and the other 3 majors as well).

http://www.thespiketrophy.com/

So rather than setup (and unnecessarily pay for) a brand new domain and hosting site ... I URGE (strongly) to use the one the NAF pays for if that was not the plan.

Galak

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2010 - 03:48 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Heh. Why is this the first time we are hearing about this Tom? Smile The last update on that address is Spike! 2005!? Mad Calgary had hosted it since (2007), and this is our third year (2008-2010).

Thanks for the heads up. Very Happy Unfortunately we have aready paid for our current domain name: www.spiketournament.com for our 2010 event, just as we paid for spike2009.com last year and spike2008.com before that.

But we will use that NAF address you have suggested above in future. Smile

If you can send information regarding logging in and editing that site to my brother Mike (civilian_number_two on this site), or at least let us know who to contact to receive this info that would be greatly appreciated.

Again please keep your eyes open and your ears pealed to the whereabouts of the Spike! Magazine trophy itself. Shocked We are still trying to get GW to locate this trophy that they believe may be in one of 2 warehouses in the US. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Tom,
Craig.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2010 - 09:15 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

generaljason wrote:
Heh. Why is this the first time we are hearing about this Tom? Smile

Okay ... forgive me ... because I will be shouting ... but not at you.

BECAUSE THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PART OF THE JOB OF THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR POSITION OF THE NAF!

Sorry ... I'm not an elected official or even a volunteer helper for the NAF ... and it upsets me to hear that you've paid for domains and hosting for an NAF major for a couple/few years when its been part of the role of the Tournament Director position for the NAF to let you know that resource is something the NAF pays for for all 5 Majors.

IE ... I have NO idea why you are just hearing about it now or why I am the one having to tell you.

Also if you go and look at the tournament director 2010 election thread ... you'll see one of my questions was about whether the nominees would make sure this part of their job was done properly as it is clear its been neglected in the past.

Angry rant aside ... I'll get the information to you on how to use the free site for the future of the Spike.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic