NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 06, 2024 - 02:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Human team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
XtremeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 04:51 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      jrock56 wrote:

Sounds like a great idea for all of NA to have a much larger scale tourney every 2 years. Would be quite the large undertaking but well worth it I would think. Would you want to alternate between the US and Canada hosting the event every 2 years? This way it would really only be every 4 years that each group from the US or Canada would have to organize the event. Timetable would seem realistic at least under this format.

Yes that is what I meant, tournament every two years, and the two countries would take turns hosting.

Reply with quote Back to top
Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Canada
Fun!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 06:30 PM

United States of America
I am into that idea.
I recomend that we break it up geographically.
What I mean is West Coast, Center, East Coast
Example:
Year 2013 > Center Canada
Year 2014 > East Coast US
Year 2016 > West Coast CA
on and on

The TO's from that region and the NA TD (Etreme) get together and select a City That benefits the most people.

I also like to limit the size of a team to 3 or 5 people:
More Teams
Interesting averages with odd numbers
Pull smaller groups from out of the woodwork

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
I for instance don't think Ottawa, my location, would be the best choice. But Toronto or Montreal (in the East) could certainly make bids that would be competitive as could Vancouver in the West of Canada.

I suspect there are about 5-10 cities in the US that could be considered as well.

But it is the organisers not just the city that is important.

Not to be the devil's advocate, but the size of the city is not really a big deal. Now I'm not saying I'm putting Niagara Falls as a bid, but we have a lot of big halls that could host large numbers of attendances (will get back to you on exact number). & the one thing Niagara definately has a lot of is hotels & motels. So don't say just Montreal, Toronto, & Vancouver cause they are big city's , it is biased & honestly not really true, many cities can handle this event regardless of size of its population. I'm sure this is the same in the U.S.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
As far as flights to Niagara Falls, Buffalo is only a 20-30 min drive away, so really there is no reason why a smaller city like Niagara Falls could not be considered..

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 07:14 PM

United States of America
Any place is fine as long as the TO's and TD agree. TO's sell their location to the lot and everyone hashes it out.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Any place is fine as long as the TO's and TD agree. TO's sell their location to the lot and everyone hashes it out.

I agree, I just said what I said, cause people from smaller cities automatically always get overlooked with things like this, my point was even small city's can compete just as well as large cities.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 08:14 PM

United States of America
I vote Chicago for year 1. It's centralized. Tons of direct flights. And lots of sightseeing to do in summer.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Canada
I think somewhere central like Chicago could work well for the first edition

TrentusOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 11:14 PM

Spazzfist wrote:
Well I think the first thing to do is look at the number of coaches that are attending in the respective hemispheres.

Ontario boasts more tourneys than our Western bretheren, but I am not sure of their numbers.

I play in a monthly league in Vancouver that has 48 coaches currently. The attendance is made up of new players every season and even though some coaches did not play this season, they will be back next season and the attendance will grow with new coaches and returning old ones.

The attraction for me is statistics. If you have a website with stats, I love it! I don't think I'm alone in this feeling and would bet that if there was a massive tournament with a convenient location/time there would be people attending from many more places.

The 2010 Spike had 48 coaches from Washington, Alberta, British Columbia, New York, California, and Oregon. Sadly none from Ontario, Quebec, or any other eastern province or state.

The distance traveled is large and it can become fairly expensive depending on the time of year. A long planning process that had promotional support across both countries would be a must for an event of such size. Vegas makes sense because it's easy and cheap to get there for many people and you can get cut rates for big crowds. Nebraska would be ideal in so far as a central location.

If we had some sort of Blood Bowl Bookie/Proline it would be even more fun. Very Happy

Jonny_POffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 11:27 PM

United States of America
If we are throwing stats out there.....ZlurpeeBowl VI last year, in Indianapolis had a North American record-breaking 68 coaches total from Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, California, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Iowa, and maybe 1 or 2 more I'm missing.

Chaos Cup has not hit those numbers (yet) but has seen coaches from most of those states plus Florida (OMM), and even the UK and Spain. We don't need to discuss what those Europeans did to us on the pitch. And at the bar across the street. Embarassed

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2011 - 11:46 PM

United States of America
I think the various events should allocate prize support for the NATC. As far as stats, I have web space if someone has the site junkie. I do like our current League Tracker OLBBLM it has stats for all kinds of stuff I do not know if that is what you are looking for.

Advertising $$$$
Hard work often pays off. Pitch the event as a North American board game tournament and we would love to put them up as sponsors from either goods or cash. There will be a ton of people from all over North America. (we'll sneak some guy across the border, or go to the local Home Depot and teach a day laborer how to play)

TaxalOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Canada
I am starting to put together a team here in Montreal to put forward a bid on the first edition of this idea of a N.A. tournament. If you can let me know what info I need to present to you to make this an offiical bid.
This same team is also starting to put together ideas to hold a gaming convention here in Montreal. Very, and I do mean VERY early on in the talks for this convention, but so far it`s starting to look good.

Dan

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:

Advertising $$$$
Hard work often pays off. Pitch the event as a North American board game tournament and we would love to put them up as sponsors from either goods or cash. There will be a ton of people from all over North America. (we'll sneak some guy across the border, or go to the local Home Depot and teach a day laborer how to play)

I think this is a very good idea, and is a very valid reason for getting these events planned as far in advance as possible to give sponsors time to consider the event in their annual budgets/tradeshow plans.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: NORTH AMERICAN TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP?  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Canada
      Taxal wrote:
If you can let me know what info I need to present to you to make this an offiical bid.

I think this is what this thread should discuss. Please don't put a bid on the boards just yet, but we can discuss areas potential hosts should address.

My back of the envelope list:

1) Venue including min/max player numbers, cool features etc
    2) Costs (based on quotes from venues/catering)
    3) Tournament geographic location/travel links (include brief survey of ins and outs)
    4) Accomodation, either a block booking deal or significant research on pricing and locations
    5) Local leagues/tournaments player attendance (captive audience in geographic location)
    6) Promotion marketing plans locally (Continental plans could be organised by a team outside of the bid teams)

This is not meant to be exhaustive but if someone were to want to be taken seriously an effort should be made to consider all of these points. We want this to be AWESOME and well attended. By well attended I mean over 100 people and preferably closer to 200.
Lets get those Europeans to take us all seriously.

Again PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY BIDS on the forums yet. Let us just discuss process. It may be useful to create a team of people to support the process from amongst willing volunteers.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic