NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 07, 2024 - 07:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Bribe the ref today! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ravynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Undisclosed
@Daloonieshaman Dennis instead of arguing with jtb why dont you offer your vast experience as an organizer to help the process. volunteer to be a judge. then you can work together to open the process to everyone else.

Reply with quote Back to top
elscorchoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Am I understanding correctly? If any person was asked to judge for a potential destination they essentially can have no bias whatsoever for a final landing spot for the NATC?
Also, to suggest a host city would one need to be the potential TO as well?

If I am assuming the answers to all these questions what I expect them to be, does this not take some very desirable host cities out of the running?

Thanks!

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Canada
This is one of the problems that arose in all the conversations. Vegas was a favored destination for many on the forums, but until recently there was not even a tournament in the city, so someone would have to bid from outside the city.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 12:12 PM

United States of America
Remember, any city in Canada or the US is a good city... Do some carry more weight? Yes that is what the process is all about.

The difference (and they need to be separate) are the few key location that will be good for the WC3 that might not be good for the NATC.

For WC3 the US has 4 maybe 5 good cities. Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles (~~ ehh), New York, and Miami/Orlando, for curb appeal.
Canada maybe has 3 Cities, (please chime in) Vancouver, Quebec, Toronto.

Yes there are other cities and that is what both bid systems are and will be about. Also remember the crew will play a big part in this.

We need to get through this one...
Volunteer your City, or jump on board with some one else.

I will provide my skills to the winning bid as the winning Event Organizer ask.

Quote:
elsorcho:
Am I understanding correctly? If any person was asked to judge for a potential destination they essentially can have no bias whatsoever for a final landing spot for the NATC?

If I am assuming the answers to all these questions what I expect them to be, does this not take some very desirable host cities out of the running?

Thanks!

1) everyone is bias. They must try to be logical as to what will provide the most for North America, not just their neck of the woods.

2) Can't you be an Event Organizer without being a TO? I know lots of EOs, I have no idea who all of NAs TOs are and I partner a biggie myself (The West Coast Quake)

3) Not Necessarily ... Say Xtreme became a judge (Indy). Can Johnny, Mike or Myself run Indy? Of course. The NATC is not about my yard v/s your yard, it is about what do "we" think is best for the NATC and which Crew (group) can pull it off ... not to mention the help of people that started in another crew to pull it off.

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:03 PM

daloonieshaman wrote:

Maybe Montreal, not Quebec Rolling Eyes

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:27 PM

United States of America
      Lizardcore wrote:
      daloonieshaman wrote:

Maybe Montreal, not Quebec Rolling Eyes

Cool not up to speed on those

VolstaggOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Switzerland
Short after the WCII, some spanish coaches were also talking about setting up a "European Team Championship" (we were calling it EuroNAF) just the way you are planning now. Every 4 years, 2 years from the WC and open to any number of teams... pretty much the same.

We were talking about just two bids, Madrid or Barcelona (and maybe Valencia) and we asked our TO Frikipe to ask Pippy (Tournament Director) if we could get an official opinion from the NAF... this was asked on late November or so, so with the presidental election I guess it's gonna take some time to get some kind of answer.

I had not seen this thread till now, but if there's some real interest on seeing this happen, both in Europe and NA, could be a very good thing to have some NAF representative overseeing this two projects... both could also help each other sharing resources or just ideas.

Some where talking on the Election Q&A thread, sorry for the off topic, about creating some kind of NAF liasion position... I think this is a good example for creating such a position within the NAF.

@ daloonieshaman: the funny thing is that when we first talked about this, we heard a lot of critics about trying to engage the NAF to participate on running such a tournament, and actually we were just asking the NAF to promote this event, so I don't see why can't Notorious_jtb set himself the rules about bidding and electing, since a) it is mainly his idea and b) there is no official statement from the NAF HQ.

I'm afraid most of the critics we heard were just because Pako is also behind this idea... Confused

For more references here's the thread were all this came up:

http://thenaf.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5380&start=90

@ Notorious_jtb: many kudos to you and your people for trying to do such a thing. I think it would be great if NA and Europe (Australia and NZ too) could have something like this, and fully NAF supported.

I will be happy to give any extra info or help when needed via pm.

Cheers.

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:42 PM

@ Volstagg: Not familiar with the thread and discussion we are talking about. But I can imagine the issues that it might creates... There is already a team-based european tournament. There fore another one sucks. Now, I understand that they are different, and that the format of the present one causes some issues (especially in Spain). The question is therefore : "how the eurocup should evolve", and not "why the naf is no helping us to setup this new event". Different discussion.

Here the situation has nothing to do with what you're talking about: it's the north american setting up their own championship. So maybe you should quote what is happening here to the other thread to make things move, and not the other way around.

As this is out of the topic, this could continued by pm if needed...

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:51 PM

United States of America
What is a realistic range of attendance for a North American Championship???

Any ideas?

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 01:54 PM

Undisclosed
      Volstagg wrote:
I'm afraid most of the critics we heard were just because Pako is also behind this idea... Confused

Nice misrepresentation of the facts - most of the critics were because Pako wanted "NAF to do this" and "NAF to do that", which is the complete opposite of what the guys here are trying to do.

@ Notorious et al - good luck with this. I had the please of playing against Team USA at WCII, and the (mis- Wink ) fortune of spending a lot of time with the USA team at WCI in the White Hart, so would love to see more teams over for future WCs.
Unless there's a big lottery win in my future, I doubt I'll make the WC when (not if, I have faith in you guys Wink ) it's held your side of the pond.

If I get a vote, hold it during the NFL season in Washington D.C, so I can watch the Redskins during the time I'm there. Wink Laughing

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 02:51 PM

United States of America
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Remember, any city in Canada or the US is a good city... Do some carry more weight? Yes that is what the process is all about.

Let's not get too craz...um..er... loonie here. I wouldn't say 'any' but could I list 25 cities (plus surrounding metro areas)? Yes, no question. Lots of great cities to host, but someone to take local ownership is few and far between.

You are correct about World Cup. Honestly that's not even on my radar one bit. That is way too far out for me to even think about it. I want to see a kick ass NATC first and foremost. I know some view it as a stepping stone to hosting WC, and that is fine, but it doesn't concern me much at this point. For me, a successful NATC is a stepping stone for a 2nd NATC!

daloonieshaman wrote:

Say Xtreme became a judge (Indy). Can Johnny, Mike or Myself run Indy? Of course. The NATC is not about my yard v/s your yard, it is about what do "we" think is best for the NATC and which Crew (group) can pull it off ... not to mention the help of people that started in another crew to pull it off.

Completely agree. Would I rather see a half-ass tournament 5 miles from my house or a kick ass tournament 500 miles away?

Here is where I'm at right now.

As much as I love to give back to the community by being a TO (I'm running 4 tournaments this year including a major), there is just no way I can commit to such a thing and give it 100%.

This year is the first time EVER the Chaos Cup is not held in GW territory. Getting venue/accomodation info/quotes and such is hard work. If I had a couple years of that under my belt, I would gladly help with a bid for the NATC, but right now, it's new territory for me.

I said the same thing last year as I say now, I'll help out wherever I can (current blood bowl workload permitting) with NATC.... #1 will be promotion since I'm the Main Guy and all, but also with judging or planning or rules or whatever is needed.

But with all that said...assuming I am able to attend the NATC, I'm going to be playing and having a good time! So no TO for me! Cool

elscorchoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 - 03:52 PM

daloonieshaman wrote:

Quote:
elsorcho:

Thanks!

1) everyone is bias. They must try to be logical as to what will provide the most for North America, not just their neck of the woods.

2) Can't you be an Event Organizer without being a TO? I know lots of EOs, I have no idea who all of NAs TOs are and I partner a biggie myself (The West Coast Quake)

3) Not Necessarily ... Say Xtreme became a judge (Indy). Can Johnny, Mike or Myself run Indy? Of course. The NATC is not about my yard v/s your yard, it is about what do "we" think is best for the NATC and which Crew (group) can pull it off ... not to mention the help of people that started in another crew to pull it off.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Canada
      Darkson wrote:
      Volstagg wrote:

Nice misrepresentation of the facts - most of the critics were because Pako wanted "NAF to do this" and "NAF to do that", which is the complete opposite of what the guys here are trying to do.

If I get a vote, hold it during the NFL season in Washington D.C, so I can watch the Redskins during the time I'm there. Wink Laughing

I totally agree, the way Jtb is doing it is the most effective way of to move this process along. And I am sure once the process is more underway JTB will be including more NAF "brass" for their input, because in the end, we do want this to be a NAF "major" of sorts.

And I agree with Jonny, I don't see this as a stepping stone for a WC bid; I see this as making a NA equivalent for ourselves.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Canada
      Glamdryn wrote:
What is a realistic range of attendance for a North American Championship???

Any ideas?

Great question Glamdryn, and one I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer too.

I would suggest that between 50 and 200 is probably going to cover it but I am sure there will be a dozen different opinions on that. I would suggest a target should be that it be the biggest tournament held in North American Blood Bowl History, which I think means in the 70s.

I belive Zlurpee has the US record at 68 and the Spike in Canada got 51.

Does that help at all?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Canada
Great to see the conversation really picking up.

We really do see this as a stepping stone really to making this a regular event of significance, that hopefully becomes a highlight of the North American scene.
I know a lot of people would like to see a World Cup in North America but if we make the North American Championship a big deal, we will have international attendees from the other continents anyway!
Without it being the primary aim, I am sure a successful North American Team Championship would only help a bid for the World Cup but that process would be very complicated and it would be far from certain to leave the European continent. So no need to say we need to win the world cup to make our event a success. A well attended, recurring championship would be spectacular.

To all the people with offers of help and kind words, once we do determine the location of the event, the local team will need an incredible amount of support so your contributions will be very welcome!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic