NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 07:56 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
My Rat Ogre is not a WIld Animal rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 10:47 AM

ObOddFact: In the NFL, an "Elf" team has actually suffered the least amount of turnover despite his team's dead-last rankings in AV. Dumb luck of the dice, that's all.

You can see more here:

http://www22.brinkster.com/angelli/bloodbowl/

-Chet

Reply with quote Back to top
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 10:53 AM

"Defenders of Cormanthyr" is the team, for those wondering.

Sometimes statistical abberations like that can happen. Surprisingly few niggles on the roster as well - I guess your league does not use aging?

-Oscar Wilde

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 03:09 PM

skummy wrote:
"Defenders of Cormanthyr" is the team, for those wondering.

Better check 'em out now, because they play my Raiders on Sunday. And I guarantee they won't look the same when we're done with 'em Twisted Evil

skummy wrote:
Surprisingly few niggles on the roster as well - I guess your league does not use aging?

If by "surprisingly few" you mean "none," I'd have to agree! In truth, we don't use niggling injuries at all. Instead, we run with the following SI table:

2-7: MNG
8: MNG and Bonehead
9: MNG and AV-1
10: MNG and MA-1
11: MNG and AG-1
12: MNG and ST-1

This leaves us with slightly fewer (3) permanent effects, but more stat reductions (4) than the standard table. I believe stat reducers are greater agents of turnover than niggling injuries, which often have no effect on the player and rarely (if ever) convince a coach to retire a good player. As for niggling injuries, Boneheads are worse - they cause a player to miss the same amount of time (1/6 of all playing time), they can't be healed automatically by an Apothecary, and they waste Blitz actions and the like for the coach.

We don't use ageing, either. We run with a few tweaks that make it unnecessary, in our opinion. Among these options:

1. A stingier winnings table
2. A 5-skill player limit (with a practical limit of 4 skills, or 50 SPPs)
3. More liberal fouling rules

We've played 104 games in our league. On average, teams in our league suffer the following every 4 games:

* One permanent death
* One permanent SI effect

Those are PERMANENT effects, meaning that you have to replace a player every 4 games (on average) AND someone else got dinged up. You can't replace a player every other game, of course - certainly not with a tighter winnings table in place - so only one of eight teams fields 16 players. The rest put together squads of 12-14 players apiece, 1 or 2 of whom are usually missing the next contest. And each team is carrying 3-4 permanent effects apiece.

You can view more by poking around the RULES section of our site, especially the "LRB Review" document.

-Chet

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 03:51 PM

I'll certainly look them over, but the sample size of your league is way too small to draw meaningful results yet. Good luck against the Elves!

EDIT: They're very different. I could probably start a whole new post discussing them. I'm not sure why the "heckling" change was made in the kickoff table. The altered money table is something I like a lot. Skills and traits seem to encourage the breaking of armor, but take away all bonuses to injury. Very interesting.

-Oscar Wilde

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 06:14 AM

skummy wrote:
I'll certainly look them over, but the sample size of your league is way too small to draw meaningful results yet. Good luck against the Elves!

EDIT: They're very different. I could probably start a whole new post discussing them. I'm not sure why the "heckling" change was made in the kickoff table. The altered money table is something I like a lot. Skills and traits seem to encourage the breaking of armor, but take away all bonuses to injury. Very interesting.

This doesn't have much to do with Elves - the subject of this thread - so I apologize in advance for this short capsule answer. (In the meantime, feel free to start a whole new post discussing them.)

SAMPLE SIZE: The league is relatively small (8 teams), but the number of team-games played now exceeds 100. Certain traits and maxims are becoming apparent.

LUCK: Thanks, I'll be happy with whatever good luck I get. (Had to toss in an Elf comment to keep this post on topic!)

HECKLING: It's just like Throw A Rock, only a Stunned player MUST leave the pitch. That's why it was changed.

MONEY: Essentially 20-TR bands (rather than 25-TR bands) with a bell curve for winnings. Modifiers are cut into 5K increments. It's very hard to roll poorly for long, which helps rookie teams; it's very hard to roll well for long, so modifiers "stick" to experienced teams. We also ditched the monetary bonus for winning a match, so negative winnings are more likely to make themselves known.

SKILLS & TRAITS: Injury mods are messy, plain and simple. Who needs to roll that extra casualty die anyway? Introducing the Eye because DP is too strong and you need a counter is silly. But this system works very well, especially in the fouling department. We have a team with 5 DPs, all of whom could combine for a +10 foul, one of whom would be given credit for a casualty, and no one thinks this is a problem. Even better, the DPs themselves have almost all stalled after gaining DP as a first skill.

Anyway, this is no longer about Elves. I'd be happy to continue a discussion in the House Rules forum, however.

-Chet

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 06:47 AM

To bring this post back on topic...

I came to Jervis with the idea for this team 2-3 months after Resurrection. Jervis had made a comment about "Elves" at the tournament. I, like a few others, believed that he meant to reincorporate the High Elf and Wood Elf rosters. So my original suggestion was something like this:

Lineman: 7347 (70K)
Thrower: 7347 Pass (90K)
Catcher: 8347 Dodge, Catch (100K)
Blitzer: 7348 Block, Side Step (110K)

Close to that, anyway. I figured that a combination of HE and WE should be based on the 7347 model if it was supposed to (a) differ from DEs and (b) rekindle memories of the 2E Elf team. The Thrower and his price would forever delete the "HElf vs. DElf Thrower" debate, the Blitzer would be more like old Elf blitzers (more AV, more hitty), the Catchers would be a mix of some of the best qualities of the other two.

Of course, Jervis told me that he had no intention of deleting those two races. That didn't send me back to the drawing board, but it did make me reconsider the project. What was the point of introducing a team that had yet another copied statline?

I didn't intend to change the statline, but I did so after discussing it with some of the coaches in my league. One of us cobbled together the 6347 statline used in BBM8, and I recall fixing a price of 60K to the figure. This idea had appeal. Not only did we introduce something new - an AG4 player at 60K, a niche price which has not yet been fully explored in Blood Bowl - but it seemed to be a High Elf team that wasn't quite as damn stuffy as the Ulthuan guys in their heavy WHFB armor. It also introduced new possibilities for AG4 teams: with low prices, players were more expendable, but you could start your team with some re-rolls and position players.

Finally, this team was situated rather well between Wood and High. It was slower than Wood Elves, not as well armored as High Elves. But it was a new definition of "middle ground," since the price reduction keeps it from being branded obviously inferior to the other two.

Mind you, the team does have drawbacks. The 6347 model is clearly weaker than any of the other Elven statlines. The model is probably slightly overpriced from a purely mechanical standpoint, assuming that AG+1 is worth a skill (such as Dodge or Block). And it's still an AV7 team without any of the extra MA or skills that usually make such a team worthwhile.

But the Thrower is still cheap, the Blitzers are graceful, and the Catchers add a new dimension off the bat. I originally suggested Nerves of Steel to mimic the "icy cool" mentioned in the description, but this was voted down in favoir of Leap during a discussion of the team. The original statline remains for now in my local league, as does the Thrower's 80K price vs. the 70K in BBM8. According to our local Elf coach, the linemen feel slightly more disposable, the position players are slightly cooler, and the team isn't quite so difficult to build up monetarily if they can get past the first few games healthy. He's played High Elves in several leagues, so he's speaking from experience.

This team should also prove to be a decent tournament team. Granted, it's not very skill-heavy. But the cheaper linemen allow a coach to show up with more than 1 or 2 re-rolls and 11 players, 8 of whom are linemen. To my knowledge, Elves haven't placed well at any major tournament yet. Most bettors don't expect them to do so in the near future, either. But an experienced Elf coach might be able to do well in a tourney with this team - or get a fair shake, at least.

So there you have it. Regarding the models, I'm very partial to the Throwers. The Catchers look out of position - they can't all be leaping all the time - but they're certainly different. Oh, and the overall feel of the team rocks. Second Edition Elves had attitude. Third Edition Elves? None.

Cheers!

-Chet

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 06:53 AM
Da Warboss

England
I like these, they limit runaway teams while still allowing a lot of "player enhancement" - i.e. seeing your players advance, which IMO is one of the best parts of BB.

Chet - have you got these written down "formally" anywhere and if so can you mail me a copy pls? david.candlish@convergys.com

NAF #60

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 08:18 AM

Personally I think such rules are over the top - but thats us... We like to keep teams for a LONG time.... 50SPPs is far too low. we like the odd one to get to 100, without dying...

Maybe that means that in fluff terms our league is softer, richer and less brutal Very Happy

RE: Elves - The more variety the better... The rules are not overpowered and I LOVE the models Smile

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

LongshotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 08:45 AM

variety is good only if:
-it gives something new to the game (different way of play)
but there is already 3 elf team!
-If there is a background about those teams...
(is there any?)

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 09:05 AM

noodle1978uk wrote:
Personally I think such rules are over the top - but thats us... We like to keep teams for a LONG time.... 50SPPs is far too low. we like the odd one to get to 100, without dying...

We plan to keep these teams as long as possible. I think we've almost perfected the "perpetual Blood Bowl" system that was envisioned by Jervis, although obviously we need more testing time. I'm especially curious about the TR ceiling. I have a good idea where it lies, but we'll see.

As for the odd players getting to 100...well, we have 3 players over 50 SPPs. I imagine one or more of them might get there. They're all healthy. Far better than praying to Nuffle you don't age on every skill roll Wink

-Chet

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 09:10 AM

Chet - I take it all back - after actually LOOKING at your rules I think they're really good Smile

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic