NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 05, 2024 - 04:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nuffle hates you. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject: Change in first day tourney space - Chaos Cup, Chicago GDay  PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 09:31 AM

Undisclosed
Someone just sent this link over; appears there is going to be a change in meeting place for the first day of the Chaos Cup.

http://us.games-workshop.com/community/bb_forum.htm

GW will be holding Day 1 of the Chaos Cup at the Holiday Inn located right next to the Games Day location, so attention all who are going.

*sigh* how easy it all would have been . . . Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 09:43 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

3000 USD spent on the tropy and the stadium ... OMM ... Tim said they've got too much investment to move it.

Maybe if GenCon continues to grow we can start a buy the Trophy and Stadium fund and raise 3000 USD to buy the trophy and stadium from GW-Chicago to move the Chaos Cup.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'll keep it as a private dream.

Galak

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 11:09 AM

United States of America
Thanks for the heads up! That makes my hotel selection a bit easier Wink

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:42 PM

Undisclosed
      Quote:
Galak wrote:

Maybe if GenCon continues to grow we can start a buy the Trophy and Stadium fund and raise 3000 USD to buy the trophy and stadium from GW-Chicago to move the Chaos Cup.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'll keep it as a private dream.

While I do see the Chaos Cup as a stand alone, it may be awhile before it would merge with GenCon. I say this intuitively, thinking that GW would not like to see their premier BB tourney in the US hosted by someone else. I could be, and hope, I am wrong.

If the Chaos Cup is to be viewed as the US Championship, however, there will come a reckoning at some point. Tim has said that the Cup date will move - probably later in the year/fall - and it will be interesting to see how the tourneys help or hinder one another then. IMO I think it's safe to say one week apart is not ideal, no matter where it is held or who runs it.

I for one will support tourney play everywhere I'm able in the US and encourage serious BB players to do the same - it's one sure way to remain visible and viable to gamers both inside and outside the GW plan.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 04:29 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
While I do see the Chaos Cup as a stand alone, it may be awhile before it would merge with GenCon. I say this intuitively, thinking that GW would not like to see their premier BB tourney in the US hosted by someone else. I could be, and hope, I am wrong.

But this is my point. GW IS running the GenCon Bowl. Both GW and I were going to run Blood Bowl tournaments at GenCon. Tim asked me to cancel mine and become an Outrider to organize and run the GW event instead. After discussing what this meant (only GW merchandise as prizes, GW standards for painting, etc), I agreed and informed GenCon to remove my tournament from the list of events. The GenCon Bowl is the GW event and is taking place in the GW reserved area of GenCon as it is their tournament ... I'm just the organizer. So its an official GW event.

The proof of that is this:
http://us.games-workshop.com/news/us/events/GenConBBTourney.htm

They don't do that for FanaticCon or the DragonCon. The reason its there for GenCon is because its an official GW sponsered tournament with me acting as a GW Outrider.

So IF the Chaos Cup moved to GenCon, it would still be an official GW event hosting it.

Quote:

If the Chaos Cup is to be viewed as the US Championship, however, there will come a reckoning at some point. Tim has said that the Cup date will move - probably later in the year/fall - and it will be interesting to see how the tourneys help or hinder one another then. IMO I think it's safe to say one week apart is not ideal, no matter where it is held or who runs it.

I think this is key ... there are few folks that are attending both tournaments. Combined GenCon and the Chaos Cup would probably have around 100 coaches which would be a good US national tournament. By competing for coaches, we divided the pool. GenCon had the advantage of having a really cool event to attend as a draw. The Chaos Cup's schedule will allow little time to even see Games Day. This in my opinion is why the GenCon Bowl has 52 registered coaches as of today and the current total for the Chaos Cup as of today was 30. Having the two farther apart would be important to boosting overall attendance as there is no doubt we split the coach pool. I'd love to go to the Chaos Cup, but my wife says uh-huh because of the amount of time and $$$ I'm sinking into the GenCon Bowl. Having them further apart would have been nice, because then maybe I could have gone.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic