NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 10:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Orc team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PuckohueOffline
Post subject: Spettcake Bowl I, Malmö, Sweden  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2003 - 01:47 AM

Registration is now possible at http://www.sydcon.org

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
reventlovOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2003 - 12:51 AM

What about the rules? Are they up any time soon?
If I like the rules the chance of attending this event is better.

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2003 - 09:50 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Ok, so what does the word 'Spettcake' mean then? Is it a made up name or a Swedish thing.....?

224th at The World Cup II

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2003 - 02:31 AM

Spettkaka is a regionally traditional cake made of eggs and sugar and frosting mostly. It's produced by dropping the ingredients on a rotating stick called "spett" in Swedish. It's actually called Pyramid Cake in English, but it sounded too boring.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 07:57 AM

Rules now available here!

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

reventlovOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2003 - 05:44 AM

First the link puts you into a swedish site. So you foreigners won't understand it. Smile

I must say I was disappointed when I read the rules.

My reasons why I won't attend:

1. Stars and Wizards allowed.

2. 1.000.000gps. Makes no room for versatility (sp?)

3. SPP like in any league. Well if I wanted that I'd play a league not a tournament.

4. To have Team Rating as major swiss determination is more than crazy. It makes it a pure luck game.

Too sum it up.
I won't attend because the rules set sucks for a tournament.

Thats's my opinion.

Have a nice life,
Reventlov

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 02:46 AM

Well, you can't always get what you want...

We knew we were going to upset some people with these rules but, as you say, you're free to decide not to participate.

We've taken all arguments we've found here and on the TBB forum on tournament rules into account and this is the result. Some arguments against what we've decided were good ("A team can get whacked in its first match"), some were... not so good ("If I wanted that I'd play a league not a tournament" Wink ). Together they didn't quite convince us to abandon the league rules.

We've also decided to put some energy into a proper evalutation and start a discussion on the rules well in time before we arrange our next tournament.

In short: we like the league rules, and we like the LRB, and we like sticking to "official" rules. If they don't work in a tournament setting we wanted to experience that for ourselves.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 02:56 AM
Da Warboss

England
it's good using the LRB for the main rules, but IMO using the SPP system in a tournament could be potentially unbalancing. What if someone plays a halfling team in their first match? They then get stacks of skills and go on to win...

Or what if someone rolls a double 6 and gets a ST increase?

Stars/Wizards is not as important, and is only really a matter of personal taste, as is using $1m - opinions are still divided as to whether this limits elven teams or not, but it doesn't in mine.

Not sure what is meant by using "TR as major swiss determination" but if it means the highest TR plays next highest and so on then it is flawed - what if someone wins 1-0, but the loser gets enough CAS to make their TR the same? It could result in a huge amount of coaches drawn against previous opponents... swiss works best as it seriously reduces consecutive round pairings, and ensures the best always play the best.

NAF #60

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 08:29 AM

Indigo wrote:
using the SPP system in a tournament could be potentially unbalancing. What if someone plays a halfling team in their first match? They then get stacks of skills and go on to win...

Yes, this is IMO the biggest danger in using the LRB league rules in a tournament - but we decided to go for it anyway as we wanted to keep what we thought was the spirit of the game (ie the risk of getting your team trashed in the first match) rather than arrange a stylised tournament.

And if someone gets stacks of skills then their Team Rating will go up, and they'll have to play someone else with a high Team Rating.

Indigo wrote:
Or what if someone rolls a double 6 and gets a ST increase?

I'd be the first to congratulate! Smile

Indigo wrote:
the highest TR plays next highest and so on then it is flawed - what if someone wins 1-0, but the loser gets enough CAS to make their TR the same? It could result in a huge amount of coaches drawn against previous opponents... swiss works best as it seriously reduces consecutive round pairings, and ensures the best always play the best.

Yes, but if the highest rated team has already played the second highest they will play the third instead - two teams will not play against each other more than once.

The reason we will not let number of wins etc decide the swiss ranking is to counteract the potential differences in team advancement - a team with many SPPs (=more skills) and many surviving players (maybe even new recruits) will not play a team that's suffered serious damage.

And, I'd like to point out once again, we regard this as a test - we know it might not work. If that's the case we'll change the rules 'til next time!

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 08:39 AM
Da Warboss

England
I think it's a good idea to try new rules variants for tournaments - the tourney scene is still in it's infancy so we need to experiment! I just can't see SPPs working in a tourney at all. I know that if I had a crap first match then it would ruin my tournament as I wouldn't stand a chance of competing - at least with "pure" swiss you can still compete. Fair enough, I'm there for more than just winning, but I expect on having a fighting chance in each game.

Imagine W.Elves vs Gobbos - they score loads and kill loads, then one of their catchers gets +1MA and Sprint. That's 1 turn TDs and they are well placed for the rest of the tournament.

Do injuries carry over?

NAF #60

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 09:52 AM

Indigo wrote:
I know that if I had a crap first match then it would ruin my tournament as I wouldn't stand a chance of competing

That's why we included the option to abandon your team and start a new. This way you're never going to be left far behind after only one game, and you would have a chance of competing.

Indigo wrote:
W.Elves vs Gobbos - they score loads and kill loads, then one of their catchers gets +1MA and Sprint.

That's what I mean by "the spirit of the game" - these things might happen.

Indigo wrote:
Do injuries carry over?

Yes. Everything carries over.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 10:00 AM
Da Warboss

England
      Puckohue wrote:
Yes. Everything carries over.

Shocked

NAF #60

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 10:09 AM

Indigo wrote:
Shocked

Cool Wink

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 10:40 AM

Undisclosed
In a tournamnt like this then, I'd probably run dwarves. OK, so they won't score loads, but they probably won't take half as much punishment as the other teams.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 10:58 AM

How about something like Chaos Dwarves? They are the most durable team with solid scoring punch, and who cares if you lose a hobgob?

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic