NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dwarf Cheerleaders, why bother? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
misanthrope09
Post subject: Pass/Catch/Move sequence question  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2006 - 10:14 AM

So I'm reasonably certain that this will end up being one of those silly, eye-roll provoking questions, but please allow me to explain.

My league started up about 6 months ago and is comprised only of 5 coaches in 2 different cities. One of our players used to play years ago (he stopped shortly after Death Zone came out) and the other, being a former manager of a GW retail store, taught us the rules. Luckily, he's a really good guy and is open to being corrected, so as time goes on, I've been reading the rulebook a little more carefully and questioning some of what he has taught us. This question is an example of that, though it is something on which I'd like clarification before I start practicing my victory dance and perfecting the proper vocal inflection for "in your face!"

Okay. So the way the pass/catch/move sequence he taught us goes is as follows:

1. Player A throws or hands-off the ball after finishing movement, if any, declares to which player he will throw the ball, and makes the appropriate agility roll, if passing. (correct)
2. Player B makes the appropriate agility roll to make sure he can catch the ball. (correct)
3. Assuming part 1 and 2 are both successful, player B MUST then begin his move action, if he wishes to perform one. (??)

Here's where I'm fuzzy. The rulebook (as you know) lists Move, Block, Blitz, and Pass as player actions, and nowhere does it say that catching the ball has to be part of a move action. In the "Catching the Football" section, it reads, "If the player who caught the ball has not taken an action yet, he may do so as normal." Note, it doesn't say "he must do so as normal" and I've read in other posts that the word "may" is sometimes problematic in the rules. None of the coaches in my league disputes the fact that you may throw to a player who has already made a move action, and I'm having a hard time reconciling these two rulings. Is the ex-manager correct? Does catching the ball immediately activate the catcher?

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Canada
I wouldn't think that it is an eye rolling wuestion, as you do point out there are instances where the "may" can lead to some dispute.

I have never heard or played with it that the catcher has to be activated upon receiving the ball so would have to go with a "no" to your final question.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Canada
yea, I'm of the camp that may is never wrong where its in the book, but thats besides the point right now, so if you'll excuse me for a moment... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You've got it right and the GW manager is wrong. Catching the ball does not start a guys movement. You can move a player, then throw him the ball, thorw a guy the ball and then not move him at all, or your first move of the turn can be the pass, and the 11th player moved can be the guy with the ball.

Usually you see the guy catching the ball right away because he usually has a clear path to the end zone Smile

Have fun with the victory dance.

alternatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2006 - 06:51 AM

Move, Block, Blitz, Pass and Foul are actions and must be declared before actually performing them.

Pick-up, Catch and Intercept are not, and you can do them how many times the rules allow you to do, without any declaration.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic