NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 04:27 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
In Roze-El we trust. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ddouglasOffline
Post subject: Help with the Amazons  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 04:05 PM

Hi

I am a new amazon player and while I find I can defend quite well, I have a hell of a time scoring. I find it hard to move the ball as most teams I am playing against are faster and at MV 6 I can not get away. I find this tops the passing game. I find the running game hard as well as st 3 and av 7 makes forming a cage hard to do. Most of the league teams I play have a Big guy as well which really sucks up the blocks.

I have 4 blisters in the team and some skills such as guard for them.

I am looking for ideas and formations to help score, what should I go for running the ball or thorwing.

ddouglas

Reply with quote Back to top
SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 01:08 AM

All your girls have got dodge, right? Use it!
(Yeah, I just found out how useful that skill is Smile)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 02:55 AM

Undisclosed

Dodging against dwarves is useless. Simply because of the amount off tackle they have. I also think it's a difficult team to perform with, but wordlwide, coaches have proven their worth. I just haven't figured it out as well. Especially against dwarves I think they have no chance becuase their prime skill is simply not present during the match.....

Lucy
Twisted Evil

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, the same problems with my Goblins on Dwarf teams, but Orc teams have Black Orcs to punch those Tacklin' Dwarfs out of the way...
On the other hand, an Amazon throwing game might work against Dwarfs as they're quite slow... Just try to stay out of base contact!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 05:29 AM

Undisclosed

Squiggoth wrote:
Yeah, the same problems with my Goblins on Dwarf teams, but Orc teams have Black Orcs to punch those Tacklin' Dwarfs out of the way...
On the other hand, an Amazon throwing game might work against Dwarfs as they're quite slow... Just try to stay out of base contact!

Dwarves are quick enough to reach all your players. Unless you set them up near your own TD line Crying or Very sad Staying out of contact is impossible.
So, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the ladies can survive/win a game against dwarves....

Lucy
Twisted Evil

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 06:32 AM

Concentrate your offense - pick off single isolated players, make sure you deal with the Troll Slayers and Blitzers asap (by fouling, kicking or anything whatsoever...). Does that help?

Come to think of it, I might not be the best person to teach tactics... Smile

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 06:42 AM

Undisclosed

That sounds like a good tactic for everybody though. When I'm playing dwarves with my undead, that's exactly what I do......
The only option I can think off is get agility players quicky and hope for some +'s on your MA. Rolling Eyes

Lucy
Twisted Evil

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 08:03 AM

Just a basic idea (not a tactic as presented here) which is derived from my skinks... Laughing

Dwarf teams usually field two blitzers, two slayers, at least one runner and maybe an ogre, all of them without tackle. That means only 5 (or 6) of them have tackle and you can dodge away from the rest "as usual". If you get away from one of them and can get an assist one one of the Longbeards, you get two dice...don't follow up. Next time he closes in you get two dice again and can move the other Lady away (of course not following up) ...if that is what you wanted. Laughing

If you keep the tacklers down, you should be able to move a bit....AND use your dodge skill. Laughing Laughing He is then moreover unmobile with his tacklers and since you should be faster you could use it to your advantage as usual. No matter whether dwarfs or not.

If you have no MB, why do you even try a blocking war?? You may be lucky or not but against Dwarfs Cas are mostly not an option.To take out the slayers doesn't help your greatest strentgh, your dodge skill. And to loose Ladies via fouling only helps the dwarf more... Crying or Very sad

Always play to your strength first! Laughing

I hope you got the idea and that helps a bit... Wink

Sputnik

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 08:49 AM

Undisclosed

Look, it's no good bloocking when your opponent even has blitzers with tackle and an ogre with (you guessed it) Those lame guys usually have guard as well, so getting 2D blocks isn't so easy.

Of course you shouldn't follow them up, but as long as he forces you to block, you can't move. even if you want to dodge with all your ladies (say you meet to many saurus in one turn) than it's expected that one of the ladies will fall down, after rerolling. You still got a 1 in 9 change that a dodge will fail (after a reroll) so it's bound to happen several times in a match.....

Knocking down his tacklers and moving around sounds to easy to me. Even a dwarfcoach can keep up. If he's able to put one dwarf next to a dame, then you're simply screwed. Too many dodges to produces soem 2D blocks. Maybe you can try to explain it to me in No'ham.

Lucy
Twisted Evil

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
Look, it's no good bloocking when your opponent even has blitzers with tackle and an ogre with (you guessed it)

Wow, an Ogre with tackle! Laughing Didn't see many of those....and I start getting your problem... Embarassed

So, let's get away from that general "I am unstoppable with my offense 'cause I know Nuffle's BIG brother" and more into detail:

What are the skills of your key players then? How many have guard, pro or anything which helps (no, not the suicide skill Exclamation )?? How did you try to move the ball around so far?? And what was the specific problem on offense agaist those dwarfs?? Only that they all have block and tackle? That you get involved in a blocking war? And do you fear the ogre and hide in the cupboard once you see him?? Laughing Laughing

And finally, no offense meant, but does this dwarf player have a rather personal relationship and strong feelings for (shall I say against) your Ladies?? Wink An ogre with tackle, tstststs, it's been a while now... Razz

I know of coaches building up league teams to basically win against a special other team (or that sort of teams). Shocked

Sputnik

ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 09:32 AM

United States of America

Having played both Dwarves and 'Zons regularly, these are my opinions.

Dwarves are tough on 'Zons. Period. There is no argueing that. High armor, Guard/Mighty Blow, tons of Tackle. All of this is a nightmare for any "dodge to safety" team. There are a FEW things that can be done to help out your ladies.

1) BLOCK. Block,block,block,block,block,block,block,block,block,block! Block combined with dodge only gives them a 2 in 6 chance of knocking you over, and thats even if they do have tackle. They have a 1 in 6 chance of falling over themselves. Put it on your catchers. Run them straight downfield, along with a few Blitzers, and I guarantee one will be standing by your next turn. If they are covered in a tackle zone, blitz with your Blitzer, push/knock them away, run up, pass, score. If you fumble the pass/catch, you should have enough people around the ball to pick it back up on your following turn.

2) Stat increases help. When they come, TAKE THEM.

3) Your rerolls are cheap for a reason.

4) 'Zons are squishy. When dodging, make all of your non/Tackle dodges 1st, then start dodging with the ladies that are covered in Tackle. It's better to hurt yourself falling then letting them do it. When you start getting linewomen with BLOCK, this becomes less of a problem, and you can start standing toe to toe with opponents.

5) Pile On = Plague. Kill, mame, or just plain avoid opponents that have this skill. Mighty Blow is bad too.

Against Dwarven teams, use your Blitzers to seek and destroy lone players, especially Runners without Block. If you can take them out, they lose heavily in the speed department. It also eliminates their only player with Sure hands, making the ball difficult to pick up.

Dwarves are an attrition team. They win every time. Don't let them force you into an attrition war and you will win. Keep a wall of 'Zons between their cage and the end zone, use guerilla tactics against lone dwarves to slow the cage, and make them take chances. When dwarves are forced to play elf ball, they lose, and badly.

Check out my teams here, courtesy of: FUMBBL.com

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 10:16 AM

Undisclosed

Take a zon team with 150 against dwarves 150. I'm pretty positive that you'll survive the first few rounds, but once your key players are locked, you're simply forced to do 1D blocks. His team probably has more guard at that moment and several MB's. Once an action fails, and that's bound to happen because their blocking skills are better and you have trouble dodging, EVEN if you do your best option dodges first. You have simply no skill in outpacing him and running behind the dwarves is difficult if you have to run past tackle zones with tackle skilled dwarves.
Actually, I simply think I have to see it happen once and learn from that because nothing you said has convinced me so far.

One of you say block, the other says don't....
Tell me please... I just don't see it yet...

Lucy
Twisted Evil

ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 10:25 AM

United States of America

The only time 'Zons should ever block is when they can almost guarantee that the opponent will not be standing next to them afterwards. Only block when you have the advantage.

Turn all of you 'Zons into Blodgers and they will have problems knocking you over.

But, granted, they are still at a great disadvantage against Dwarves. There is no arguing that. I was just trying to give advice to (sorta) even the playing field =/

On the other hand, Dwarves are at a severe disadvantage when playing high move & AGI teams, like Elves. So, it goes both ways.

ddouglasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 01:39 PM

Dwarves aside, what can I do to score TD's. I have tried to pass and get my catchers either hammered or get them caught by the pursuit. I have tried to run with some success but after a turn or two I find that I can not stand up to the blocks and start to fall apart.

The only times I have scored are when I got an interception and ran it back, and when I threw the ball long down field and did not expect to catch it and have a player down there pick it up and run it in. It works against skaven as their fast players are only str 2.

I do dodge away from the line and the other side but can not get away from most teams dodging away helps stop blocks against me but I can not penetrate the opponents line and then get away, the holes I get and the dodges I set up are good for a turn ot two after that they swamp the ball carrier and get the ball. High Ag teams just run in and steal it and big guys and high str teams smash there way in.

Maybe I should try to surround the ball more and force more swamping???

I also find that not having sure hands for the thrower makes them bad, I burn more rerolls on that then anything else.

I do have 5 rerolls at the moment, 4 blizters (2 with guard, 1 MB) and a line woman with sure hands.

Anyone able to suggest formations to maximise my protection while forcing the other team to throw in large numbers of players and still stop high AG teams from sodging in?

ddouglas

ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 02:38 PM

United States of America

Here is what I do with my 'Zons:

__Skills__

Passers - SURE HANDS 1st, Accurate & Strong Arm next 2 skills, then Block
Catchers - Block 1st (always), then sure feet, sprint
Linewomen - Block, tackle, guard
Blizters - Either Tackle/guard/Mighty Blow/Pro Choose your flavor, you already have block/dodge!

__Quick scoring tactics__

Swarm a wide zone. Set up 2 blitzers in the wide zone, 3 linewomen on the LOS, the other 2 blitzers behind them, the 2 catchers behind them, 2 passers int he backfield, an the remaining linewomen on the opposite side, but off of the line. Like this:

. . P . . . . . . .L .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . P . . . L .
-------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Something like that. Blitz a hole through the defence if their isnt on, form as best of a cage as far downfield as possible with your Blitzers, making sure that as few as possible are in opposing tackle zones. Get the ball with your passer, pass to the catcher, get her into the cage, THEN start dodging with your front linewomen to try and strengthen the cage, or cover the opponent in tackle zones forcing him to throw blocks. If you fall over while dodging with them, you *should* have enough Blitzers around your catcher that no one on the opposing team can Blitz your catcher.

Your opponent will try and smother you with tackle zones and possibly Blitz your catcher. This is where the Block skill on your catchers is so important. Even if you play Wood Elves, and they Leap in and hit you, they still only have a 1 in 6 chance of knocking you down. Their isnt anything you can do about dice luck, unfortunately =/

If you are still standing, push a downfield hole with your Blitzers, and if need be, Blitz with your catcher. Even if you dont knock them over, you can still push them outta the way, forming a hole. Here is yet another situation where Block will be very handy (for those inevitable double skull/pow results Rolling Eyes ) If you have to, push it to score, putting Sure Feet and your cheap rerolls to good use.

Thats the best I can come up with. It seems to work for me Smile

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic