NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff fancies Zara! Heard it from Varag..... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 11:43 AM

United States of America
I'd bet on Unstun being free for Boneheads and Really Stupid players as well in October.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 02:00 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Er - I'm not talking about the RR2003 rules, but the "soon to be official" 2+ to block/blitz/foul 4+ to move etc.

ReinkensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
Er - I'm not talking about the RR2003 rules, but the "soon to be official" 2+ to block/blitz/foul 4+ to move etc.

I guess I'm coming into this thread a little late (and I see it's been all over the place), but I cannot help but put my two cents in, since my Minotaur leads our league in casualties, having caused 15 casualties in 16 games. Pow Our interpretation is quite clean and clear...

A Blitz! IS a block for purposes of WA. As a violent creature, he can execute a blitz! without rolling as well. EVERYTHING else (Pass, Foul, Hand-Off, Move - without blitzing, and even ROLLING OVER) requires a 4+ (and unlike stupid creatures, having your friends aroudn doesn't help!). It works well, and I believe it's what was intended by the change.

1. "Blitz!" is found under the section of the LRB for "BLOCKS"; p.10.
2. "Blitz!" uses the Block dice (not used for any other game purpose). "To see if a block works you will need to use the special blocking dice included with the game."; p.10.

Blitzing and Blocking are what Wild Animals are intended to do! They should be able to do it without having to roll for it. They are NOT stupid (or even boneheaded for that matter), they are just violent. Ogres are forgetful, Trolls are stupid (unless instructed by a teammate), Rat Ogres and Minotaurs are violent... they're not into that passing, catching, scoring scene (which is why they have to roll 4+ to do any of it).

It just makes sense, we use it that way and will continue to do so. Changing it again will revert Wild Animals to once again being useless.

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2004 - 02:19 PM

Does seem odd that in the new rule a wild animal will just stop and do nothing if you roll a 1

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2004 - 03:08 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Reinkenstein,

If those are the rules you are playing then I'm not surprised a Mino is leading the league. WA is basically not even a negative trait with those rules as you are almost always quite happy blitzing with him.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2004 - 06:11 AM

Undisclosed
      Reinkenstein wrote:
It works well, and I believe it's what was intended by the change.

It may work well (and I don't see that as a negatrait), but it definetly wasn't what the BBRC intended. A Block is a Block, and a Blitz is a Blitz, they are completely different actions.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

ReinkensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2004 - 06:55 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
Reinkenstein,

If those are the rules you are playing then I'm not surprised a Mino is leading the league. WA is basically not even a negative trait with those rules as you are almost always quite happy blitzing with him.

"Almost" is accurate. Blitzing is GREAT, unless, of course...
1. He's out of position to accomplish it, or
2. He has to dodge to accomplish it, or
3. He ends up with the ball (... it happens), or
4. He's on his back and doesn't have the movement to get there, or
5. He's on his face, and hasn't gotten up for the last several turns because you can't seem to roll a 4+ on a d6 to save your life, and since he's a "Big Guy" you can't reroll that die

Is a trait only "negative" in your book if it can affect you every turn? If that's the case, "Always Hungry" isn't a negative trait either? (except for maybe the unfortunate Gobo!)

I think a 50/50 chance to do anything except Block or Blitz is a negative trait. Wanna stand? 50/50. Wanna roll-over? 50/50. Wanna move to assist someone else? 50/50. Wanna pick up the ball that's rolling around in the endzone with nobody around for miles? 50/50 to even get a chance at picking it up (which is coincidentally is another 50/50).

You want a defense against a Mino? Put a silly little 'git beside him and keep your other players, including the ball carrier, away from him. Watch in glee as your opponent sweats over whether to block the stinking 'git, or declare the "blitz" with his mighty Mino knowing full well he'll have to dodge away from the 'git first without using a reroll!

If a "Blitz!" was anything other than a fancy "Block" maybe they should have put in a section of the LRB not labled "BLOCKS".

To interpret it any other way would simply be insane. Being a WA would be WORSE than being REALLY STUPID, because their friends couldn't even point them in the right direction! Opposing teams, especially those slippery little elf types ( Skull Skull teams of choice perhaps?) would simply dodge away from him all day long making him rarely ever capable of even throwing a "Block" ... because no one is around him ... and giving him only a 50/50 chance of doing anything else ... ever!

Prior to the change, WA were pretty much useless. If the BBRC intended to make Wild Animals both STUPID and useless ... I guess I can see your point.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2004 - 08:00 PM

Seriously, this is nowhere negative enough to be a proper negative trait. Either play 2+ to block/blitz and 4+ for anything else, or play automatic block and 4+ for anything else. What you're talking about makes minotaurs and rat ogres greatly overpowered and would turn any league into a circus.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2004 - 02:38 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Reinkenstein wrote:
Is a trait only "negative" in your book if it can affect you every turn? If that's the case, "Always Hungry" isn't a negative trait either? (except for maybe the unfortunate Gobo!)

Wild Animal has a much bigger cost reduction than Always Hungry - not all skills are equal.

Your version is massively overpowered and I'd take a WA over very other sort of BG in that league.

JacobinOffline
Post subject: Viewpoint  PostPosted: May 04, 2004 - 02:48 PM

While I'm happy to admit the revised new WA rule in LRB3 are an upgrade to the change that came before it, I still find the alteration from moving first not taking assits to be unexciting and uninteresting.

The new WA rule is just a unimaginative answer to problems presented by the old way (most problems which could be addressed by competent coaching, either by the coach of the WA or his opponent). The new WA rule is just a rehash of Bone Head and Really Stupid. And it's not a particularly interesting borrowing of those rules; you might as well have simply gotten rid of WA and made the Rat Ogre and Minotaur have BH or RS.

In the league I am a part of, our owners voted to keep the LRB2 WA rule instead of using the new one. Yes, that version of the rule is flawed, but at least it is interesting and clearly sets WAs appart from Ogres, Trolls, and Kroxigors. There used to be a distinctive choice between Ogre and Minotaur for the Norse coach, now it's six of one versus half a dozen of the other.

I may be in the minority, but I just wanted to mention not everyone disliked the new rule because it was broken from the start! Some of us don't like it because it is boring, unimaginative, and reduces the distinction between different big guys.

-Jacobin

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2004 - 03:47 AM

England
Well you're not alone there. I too think that the new WA is exceptionally dull and I don't like it for that reason.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2004 - 04:56 AM

What i like about the new wild animal is that they're now wild! The last rule had them running away from all opposition and staying in the backfield where it's safe. It also had all opposition running towards them in an attempt to get them to knock themselves down. It should have been called "pussy", not "wild animal".

The new rule is a bit dull, true. But at least a minotaur is not afraid to get in the thick of things anymore!

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2004 - 05:03 AM

England
But that's the problem, they're not wild. Mad They don't do anything at all that can reasonably be described as wild. They can be safely used in a more aggressive fashion, but that hardly makes them uncontrollable animals. Confused

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2004 - 05:10 AM

Good point. You're right, it's a problem that the new wild animals are not wild. At least they're not pussies anymore, the total opposite of wild! So we're headed in the right direction, but we ain't there yet!

SeannewboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2004 - 07:09 PM

South florida USA
Like he said.

Praise Nuffle!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic