NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 27, 2024 - 06:26 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Neck! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 11:24 AM

United States of America
      Lizardcore wrote:
+ Fumbbl wbsite

+ bloodbowl L E forum

You get the idea, that's the spirit
"One man cannot build a village"

Reply with quote Back to top
generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 01:09 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      jrock56 wrote:

Hey GJ, just to let you know there is one Canadian team confirmed and possibly a second in the works as we have 2 spots registered on the WC list #38/39 I believe. There are also some players from the US attending as well that I know of (I think there is one team and a few individuals) So there will be a North American presence at the WC this year. That being said, I do agree with much of what you said above. It is hard to estimate whether a NA tourney would impact numbers going to the WC in Europe though as only having one of the events every 2 years is enough of a distance between them that it would be possible to plan on attending both. Anyhow just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents Very Happy

Sorry but I was basing this assumption on this post 10 days ago:

Dave wrote:
these are the teams who preregistered but are not, yet in and will go into the draw at the 22nd of February

Denmark -0

Italy -4
Team Name: Six Pistols
Team Name : KILL BBIL
Team Name : Granducato di Toscana
Team Name : Evolution

Australia/New Zealand - 0

USA -0

Canada - 0

Austria – 1
Team Name : Team Österreich

Switzerland - 1
Team Name : Ouroboros

Spain - 7
Team Name : Fumbblers
Team Name : LBN (El Prat)
Team Name : Garrapato Unako Team
Team Name : Fumbble Renegades
Team Name : BASQUE BARBARIANS
Team Name : Freebooters
Team Name : EQUIPO ACTIMEL

Dutch - 0

Germany - 2
Team Name: KAmPF
Team Name : Kurpfalz Crew

France - 9
Team Name : Lutece Noobz
Team Name : CROM LECH BASHLORDS
Team Name : PILOU 1
Team Name : OLD LUTECE CREW
Team Name : LES RUELLEUX
Team Name : EXPERTS LUTECE
Team Name : RHONE ALPES
Team Name : MBBC
Team name : NEW AZES

UK/British Isles - 4
Team Name : Scotland Clan ELG
Team Name : The Blackshirts
Team Name : Hampshire Superhogs
Team Name : Flame On Team B

Belgium - 0

Portugal – 0

Individuals: (will make up 12 players)
NAF Name: clamoroso NAF Number:11858
NAF Name: Cosworth NAF Number: 9963
NAF Name: Danisheraser NAF Number: 16742
NAF Name: Superbeasto NAF Number: 16923
NAF Name: Rolex NAF Number: 16091
NAF Name: DrunkenDwarf NAF Number: 7357
NAF Name: Tiamo69 NAF Number: 13759
NAF Name: Caran NAF Number: 13232
NAF Name: Paloji NAF Number: 15286 (spanish team ACTIMEL)
NAF Name: Solomon Knicely NAF Number: ?
NAF Name: flyingdingle NAF Number: 4244
NAF Name: Chapuzas NAF Number: 12746
NAF Name: SirSebstar NAF Number:5271
NAF Name: Barks NAF number: 11622

If there are in fact full Canadian teams and American teams added to the list above then that is awesome and I'm glad they were able to represent. Had I the knowledge that WC2 was going to be selling tickets almost a full year prior to the event I too may have gone as would others in B.C.

Alkaline13 wrote:

That is fantastic that you and 3 of your friends could actually make it to Europe and compete in this WC.. in fact, why not look for 2 more Americans to complete your team?

I don't know how fantastic it is given that in the end I'm not attending the WC. I do not begrudge anybody that wants to go as a single participant, but I have no interest in it. If I were to go it would be a team fully comprised of Thunderbowlers. This is no diss on Eastern Canadians or Americans but I really wanted to form a team with 5 of my club mates. As the event is already sold out I have run out of time to try and convince 2 others.

Alkaline13 wrote:

I think the fact of the matter is, it would be hard for many gaming groups in the this country to find 6 people who can AFFORD to make a 1200$ trip to Europe for WC. It has nothing to do with lack of interest.. Hosting a NA Championship would allow teams from North America to compete in a large scale tournament without having to pay AS MUCH (it wouldn't be cheap to travel all over the country) to play.

I can honestly say that is 100% of the reason why I won't be attending WC2011.. funding and I'm sure there are loads of American and Canadian players out there thinking the same thing..

And worst case.. we attempt to run it and it doesn't work

I never said it had anything to do with a lack of interest. I know full well why NA players can't commit to going to a 6-man European tournament. This post is just reinforcing my point in that a North American team challenge seems to me like a compensation for the fact that the WC lacks NA teams/players, and as such WC will probably see even less teams from NA in the years to come as a result imho.

Again guys that's my only concern with the idea - that this will superimpose the other and result in even less NA participation at WC. I am not against the idea of a NA Team tournament if I honestly believed that it wouldn't affect NA participation at WC.

That said, if North America is throwing in the towel, creating a Team Challenge of their own because they've already resigned to the idea that virtually nobody will be able to attend a Team Challenge in Europe then so be it.

Just my 2 cents. Again guys this is just one man's opinion. I'd love the the idea of a NA Team Challenge if players from NA would attend it as well as the WC.

Gj.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 02:36 PM

Canada
Hey Gj, don't worry I initially misinterpreted the post about Canadian and US teams having a zero beside them meant that we had no spots registered. It actually meant that all of our teams from Canada and the US that were alotted to us WERE pre-registered.

I thought they had filled our slots through the draw and sent off a bunch of PM's to clarify myself Razz

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 06:25 PM

United States of America
Those that wish to go the a future WC will go regardless of a NAC

Warpstone
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Damn, wish I caught this thread earlier. In fact, if there was more NA discussion, I'm sure I'd visit this forum more. Smile

Re: the NA Tourny. I understand GeneralJason's point regarding what could be termed "diversion." He's right in that our travel costs and distances are just ridiculous compared to Euro players. We already have a hard time traveling to each others majors. Creating a new mega-event that would regularly drain the convention travel budget every 2 years might actually weaken our bigger events.

However, the original goal here was to create a proof of concept event to facilitate an eventual World Cup in NA, right? How about we consider a compromise where one of the major NA competitions add a team meta-game onto their existing tourny structure? You don't need to rebrand the tourny or add another date on the year--our biggest problem is not a lack of major tournys so much as a lack of convenience to travel to all of them in a year.

Basically, I'm just saying let's use a NAC meta-game to make our existing tourny's stronger. We could have the NAC itself rotate through NA tournaments that have NAF major status. For example, the 2012 Zlurpee will also determine the NAC champion club. The 2014 Spike! will determine the next one, 2016 WCQ holds the 3rd NAC championship, etc. Does that make sense? I see it as a compromise that both helps the pocket book (most of us already would like to attend the major NA tournys) and takes advantage of our existing TO infrastructure.

BTW, just 2 cents as a Vancouverite: it is cheaper for me to fly out of Seattle and attend an event in Chicago or even the Eastern US (Phill, New York, etc) than Eastern Canada. It's not that I don't like our Eastern cousins, but Canada's airport taxes and economy of scale simply suck. I would love Spike! to grow as a result of piggybacking a team tourny on to it, but I have to be realistic and admit that a big US city will almost always be preferrable to a Canadian location.

P.S. ideally the host location is a tourist hot spot because this makes it an easy sell to spouses ("honey, you get to go shopping/sightseeing while I play BB for 3 days") Smile

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 04:22 AM

British Columbia, Canada
On second thought, if you guys are serious about doing this, a North American Team Challenge, done once every four years, running 2 years between the NAF WC like Winter Olympics, I really do not think that you will get Europeans unless you have it at a location that they would like to go to anyway. This goes for North Americans as well.

I propose one of two things. Either:

a. Always host the North American Team Challenge near a border, which is easy for Canada because all of our major cities are near the border anyway. This puts Vancouver and Seattle close for road trips as this area has a combined 80 players kicking around, plus Oregon and Alberta. Same goes for the east, Detroit, Toronto. There is a vast number of players there as well that would be more likely do a road trip than take a flight - even if it is for a tournament that only occurs once every 4 years.

b. Vegas every time. Only North American city I can think of that has it's own charm that sells itself. Adding Blood Bowl on top of that is a no brainer. Vegas has plenty for your wife to do while you play Blood Bowl for days so the trip is an easier sell if you want to drag the family along.

Any cities further south of the border will not have the same sort of turnout imho. Border cities such as those listed above have large communities, whether it's tournament or league, and they also have a large BB neighbour right next to them. I only listed 2 Canadian cities and 2 American - obviously there are more like Montreal, Hamilton, Ottawa, as well as Buffalo, Cleveland, Rochester, although Detroit is the most obvious.

But again the point of option a is to share the love between West and East, Canadian or American every 4 years, but still recognizing that due to geography we pay attention to Blood Bowl hot spots that would encourage road trips

I personally would like to see option b. Sure it leaves the Championship in America but as a Canadian I can tell you that I wouldn't care. I recognize that Vegas has it's own appeal and would encourage flights all on it's own no matter where in the States it was.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way - you might want to change the name of the North American Team Challenge. The acronym is NATC. If you say it as four separate letters, like N-A-T-C then it's fine. But if you say it as one word like WOTC it sounds more like nazi. Food for thought.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Canada
For re-naming the event I would think North American Championship (NAC) would work. Very Happy

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 02:39 PM

Toronto, ON
+1 for Vegas. Beyond all the obvious stuff the parks in the surrounding desert are beautiful and highly recommended.

Anyway, what's the worst that could happen? 40 people show up and we have a blast? Sign me up.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 12:27 PM

United States of America

Vegas is pretty flight friendly from most anywhere in Canada or USA. Sounds like a good place to me.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 01:31 PM

Canada
I know Vegas one of the few places I can get a direct flight from Ottawa into the US. And hotels are cheap for what you can get. I would vote for that as a good location. Anyone know if they have space for small conventions? ;P

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 01:59 PM

United States of America
THey have space for conventions of all sizes at reasonable rates, with the ability to expand your space with relative ease. (Vegas is the convention capital of the world)

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 04:26 PM

United States of America
I'm not looking to run it, but I would gladly assist anyone looking to run it in Chicago. In regards to direct flights and sightseeing....there is no shortage of that here in Chi-town.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2011 - 03:04 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Well we've just had a state championship in Australia and it was the best tournie I've been to in a long time. Really try and make it work guys.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Canada
I agree, we need to start firming up more ideas. I love the concept, but lets not have it die there people.

I am curious, would people rather have a single coach tournament or a team event? I personally would like a team event. Three coaches per team, no race duplicates. That would give alot of variety, and reduce the chance of having a dwarf or Orc fest.

I personally just prefered Vegas because I know its capable of holding a convention with ease, its easy to get too and cheap to stay at and its warm. I don't get to see much warm weather anymore since the kid has taken all travelling expenses and converted them into diaper/formula expenses.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:
Well we've just had a state championship in Australia and it was the best tournie I've been to in a long time. Really try and make it work guys.

Is there a website or something we can look at, always like seeing what other tournaments are like.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic