NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 27, 2024 - 06:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dodge this! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Warpstone
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2011 - 01:34 PM

I think all roads seem to point to Sin City.

Here's a question on a lark: is it possible for a non-local to easily coordinate a con in Vegas?

Reply with quote Back to top
flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2011 - 02:01 PM

United States of America

Warpstone wrote:

However, the original goal here was to create a proof of concept event to facilitate an eventual World Cup in NA, right? How about we consider a compromise where one of the major NA competitions add a team meta-game onto their existing tourny structure? You don't need to rebrand the tourny or add another date on the year--our biggest problem is not a lack of major tournys so much as a lack of convenience to travel to all of them in a year.

Zlurpee has already been doing the team competition concept for several years.

Warpstone wrote:
Basically, I'm just saying let's use a NAC meta-game to make our existing tourny's stronger. We could have the NAC itself rotate through NA tournaments that have NAF major status. For example, the 2012 Zlurpee will also determine the NAC champion club. The 2014 Spike! will determine the next one, 2016 WCQ holds the 3rd NAC championship, etc. Does that make sense? I see it as a compromise that both helps the pocket book (most of us already would like to attend the major NA tournys) and takes advantage of our existing TO infrastructure.

I really like this idea. This would keep attendance levels up at the current large US events but also add in the NAC to the mix. Seems the best option to me.

Rando
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2011 - 02:38 PM

Canada
I also think warpstone is onto something. At least to start the NAC could be say the 2012 Zlurpee. If by 2018 the NAC is a stand alone event in vegas then great but in the mean time I love the rotating meta-game idea.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2011 - 10:33 AM

United States of America
how do you decide the events and in what order?

flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2011 - 12:02 PM

United States of America

I'd say a simple poll in this forum would do. It may possibly also help to shoot out an email to the US NAF members.

Truth is, the poll will likely pick zlurpee as the first years site since it is currently the largest North American tourney at 68 coaches last year. Current expectations project zlurpee to be at very least 80 and up to (and hopefully exceeding) 100 coaches for the upcoming year.

The beautiful thing about this plan is that it doesn't take any significant new amount of planning to pull it off.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2011 - 06:08 PM

United States of America
let's say we backpack "Zlurpee" in 2013 (Indianapolis IN USA)
Are we talking "Spike" 2015 in 'Vancouver'

I do like 3 man teams as you get cool number matchups in the scoring and it is easier for clubs to throw together a team and travel

How do you keep the $$$ separate for a backpacked event? Would you just charge a premium for the NAC contenders (say $50 extra for a 3 coach team)
You have to cover the cost of the extra prizes and hopefully have some $$$ move forward to the next event

I do not think Zlurpee will hit 100 this year or next, and the NAC does not count. Don't get me wrong I hope they do I would love to see it...
2011 ~~ 78-79
2012 ~~ 93-94
2013 NAC 244 Razz

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2011 - 07:59 AM

United States of America
I do not like the backpacking idea of tournaments. Let the NAC have it's own identity. If people choose to go to that instead of something else, well then that is their choice and it happens all the time.

If the NAC does not have it's own identity then it will just be an afterthought and not even take the full attention of the people in attendance. Some will be at that tournament and not even know it's the NAC!

Let's not sell ourselves short here and think the only way to get a large turnout is to piggyback it with something else.

Simple idea....just have it in Vegas in 2012. If it's a success, start work on planning another in 2014. If it's Vegas every year because it's most feasible, then that's fine. Currently Vegas has not had a major tournament so this could be a great "identity" for the NAC ongoing.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Canada
      Jonny_P wrote:
I do not like the backpacking idea of tournaments. Let the NAC have it's own identity. If people choose to go to that instead of something else, well then that is their choice and it happens all the time.

If the NAC does not have it's own identity then it will just be an afterthought and not even take the full attention of the people in attendance. Some will be at that tournament and not even know it's the NAC!

Let's not sell ourselves short here and think the only way to get a large turnout is to piggyback it with something else.

Simple idea....just have it in Vegas in 2012. If it's a success, start work on planning another in 2014. If it's Vegas every year because it's most feasible, then that's fine. Currently Vegas has not had a major tournament so this could be a great "identity" for the NAC ongoing.

I really agree on the unique identity for the NAC.
We need to do this if we want to attempt to bid for the NAF WC in 2015 or beyond.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2011 - 10:49 AM

United States of America
      Jonny_P wrote:

Funny you say
The West Coast Quake is finalizing the space for the 2012 event that will be held Saint Paddy's Day weekend March 17th -18th.
We have been posting our intentions for a bit now.

I am willing to talk to the group and see if we would like to change our plans and allow NAC to take the spot.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
      Jonny_P wrote:
I do not like the backpacking idea of tournaments. Let the NAC have it's own identity. If people choose to go to that instead of something else, well then that is their choice and it happens all the time........

We need to do this if we want to attempt to bid for the NAF WC in 2015 or beyond.

I totally agree. I think NAC needs it own event entirely or as mentioned it will be an afterthought. I really like the idea of it having its own venue city and style tournament. That is why I was wondering if it could be a small team event. I don’t see why Vegas 2012 with three-man teams is not an awesome sounding tournament. Also, then instead of having a bidding process to host the event each time, maybe an organizing committee is voted in each year or volunteers organize it each with knowing that the location and even the time of year is already set, creating some consistency in the event from year to year.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
      Jonny_P wrote:

Funny you say
The West Coast Quake is finalizing the space for the 2012 event that will be held Saint Paddy's Day weekend March 17th -18th.
We have been posting our intentions for a bit now.

I am willing to talk to the group and see if we would like to change our plans and allow NAC to take the spot.

Thats very generous, but I don't know if we need to do that yet. But I see your point.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2011 - 06:56 PM

United States of America
not to tread. How about 2013 or 2014 for Vegas an use the experience we are gaining with the Quake, to ease the process a bit.
(push back start to 2013) or (use Vegas as NAC 2 in 2014)

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2011 - 05:25 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      Jonny_P wrote:

Full on agree. Go big or go home.

Notorious_jtb wrote:

The goal of the NAC should be to establish a NAC - not to prove that North America can host a NAF WC. I don't believe a North American location - even Vegas, will ever get into the neighbourhood of 400-500 like Europe can and the only reason for that is because the majority of the tournament players are there: even to the point where they had to turn some people away.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2011 - 05:41 AM

United States of America
      generaljason wrote:

The goal of the NAC should be to establish a NAC - not to prove that North America can host a NAF WC. I don't believe a North American location - even Vegas, will ever get into the neighbourhood of 400-500 like Europe can and the only reason for that is because the majority of the tournament players are there: even to the point where they had to turn some people away.

Full on agree right back at you. Could you imagine US or Canada turning anyone away? Inconceivable! As much as it pains me to say it, there is no way the World Cup is coming to this side of the pond...

....if somehow there is a vote, we all banded together and we happen to win and give it a go....I'm guessing 200 people will show up and it will look like a flop. Again, I wish this wasn't the case but it's purely geographical. We are just too spread out to compete at a WC numbers game.

The NAC is our NAC and should be regarded as "The Big One". Sure if some NA peeps can make it to WC that is awesome, but realistically, the two events are probably going to be completely unrelated.

btw....I do like the 3-4 man team concept.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Canada
I am in total agreement on this. I don't think there is any way we can compete with Europe in regards to the WC. But the NAC is likely going to be our version. I mean, they got 400 coaches and still turned away tons, could we realistically come ever close to that in a tournament, not likely. But 100-200 is feasible after a few years.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic