NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 28, 2024 - 12:43 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Interception! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 10:23 AM

Undisclosed
Trophy Congratulations Ken and Chris (and everyone else)! Trophy Sounds like it was a blast.

Reply with quote Back to top
TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 10:30 AM

Germany
No post from Jim yet, so I guess he must be busy sorting things out or just take a well deserverd time off to have some quiet time

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

SturmjarlOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 11:47 AM

Undisclosed
I had a BLAST this weekend!!
Phil, Y'all making me blush! Embarassed There were some GREAT looking teams here and it would have been a longshot if 2 non-GW teams made the painting finals. I was only disappointed that I didn't get to play Phil with his Black Widows against..well HIS Valkyrie's! Razz
Heck, as a self-proclamed painter-1st and mediocre player, it was a refreshing change to go UNDEFEATED at my first tourney!! Shocked (Well...2-0-3 Wink ) Ha-HA!
I would like to once again thank OMM for all his hard work and although us Floridians were rusty Confused we were also the most enthusiastic players there!! Very Happy So WATCH OUT for FLorida NEXT YEAR! Twisted Evil (PLEASE do this again Jim!! Worship )
I have been a HUGE fan of BB since the first release of 3rd ed. and a frequent visitor to the BB forums. With a new Orlando league starting at Sci-Fi city along with possibly starting my own group, I will try to post more often. I was thrilled to meet some of the nicest players this weekend and plan to keep in touch.
SALUTE!!

twistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 12:45 PM

Canada
Congrats to everyone! Sorry I missed it... When is Monkeyman gonna post the standings? Very Happy

HammerBowl. http://bkbbl.com/

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 02:27 PM

United States of America
Wow!! It was a ton a fun and I'm glad I made the trip down for such a fun tourney. I really liked Jim supplying us with dice because mine turned out great for me. Smile

It was fun to finally put faces to names on the such as Melfaxis, Jaylazer, Sean Newboy, meeting and playing Chet, Phil Bowen (just love his figs), Pred_Danche, Brian St. James, and people who I didn't know like Javier, Eric, Gabe, Ben and everyone else!!!

Well I managed to win with Khemri (5-0) without giving up a TD. My first game was against BloodyHorns-an all beastman/mino team that I managed a 1-0 win against. Then came Javier and his undead which I managed to score 2 td's against and only person who beat me in cas's (2-3). Then I had to play my buddy Marcus who I drove down with and is in my local league. 1-0 win against Chaos Dwarves and Marcus's only lost for the day. Next up was Chet and his Norse who came the closest to scoring on me. He had a short throw with a rr to catcher for a td, but a pesky mummy intercepted the ball for the stop. Then the khemri did what they do best and cleared the pitch of all norse players by the end of the game for a 1-0 win. Chet's luck started off great in first 3 turns but fell apart after the INT. he was 0-7 on KO rolls. For the final game I played Ben's best painted Orcs. He was playing push a mummy early then a skeleton started the carnage by cas'ing his leader blitzer. Khemri go on to grind the Orcs into the ground for a 2-0 win.

Overall it was a fun tournament....khemri with hot dice are scary tho...lucky i didn't go up against any real speed teams since scoring was a chore.
My FNBBL mate, Skummy came in 2nd (also undefeated with a tie vs Ben's Orcs) with most TD's with 14. A real sweep for FNBBL and the states. We kept the Gumpta Cup in the States...(lucky germany and spain didn't send any reps Smile )
I took home the Most Casualties with 18 with Skummy's Skaven in 2nd with 14 (his rat ogre had 7--but he also played 3 AV7 teams Smile )

SkeeloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 03:09 PM

I as well had a great time at my first ever Bloodbowl Tournament. It was great to meet so many other players from the state of Florida and also some of the other players from the States and Canada.
Jim and his crew did an excellent job of planning and the tourney turned out great.
A quick review of my 5 games with the Dark Elves. I stated off playing Typhon and his Ork team. That went extremely well for me as I won 4-0 with no casualties for or against me.
The second game was against Chet and his Norse. I kicked off to Chet and was able to hold him off from scoring during the first half with my witchelf playing hero. The second half I was unable to get my offense going and turned the ball over. Chet scored late in the second half and beat me 1-0.
My third game was against Gutt Shot and his Necromantic team. Gutt had a terrible time with his dice and I took advantage beating him 3-0.
After day one I was the top ranked florida coach and that wouldn't last long! I played Skummy and his Skaven. Skummy was just too much for me as he beat me 2-1 on a late second half score where I only had 6 elves left on the pitch.... no way to stop those fast rats. But I pulled a score out of my hat by making 4 1 die blocks with only 1 reroll then a 2 dice, skummy choice, block against his rat ogre. Of course I knocked him down and knocked him out only to have his apothecary keep in the game. I then dodged out and handed to the witch who caught the ball with someone in her tacklezone and then she dodge out and went for it twice to score with no rerolls. It was the best luck I had during the tournament. And might I add, it ended immediately after that...
My third game was a game of frustration against Jaylazer and his woodelves. He spanked me 2-0 although I scored 2 casualties. My die rolling was miserable to say the least. I can't count on two hands the number of one's I threw during the game. Lets just say the game started with throw a rock which knocked out one of my upgraded linemen and ended with a beautiful double skull throw. lol.

Regardless, the TKC was awesome and I am looking forward to next years tournament.

Now, on the some important information. My friend Gabe aka Squighunter Gabe accidentally left his entire Norse team, the Alpine avengers and the new vampire team he won for placing 4th at SciFi City.
He remembered that he left them a few blocks from his home in Miami. He called the store today and they could not find them. If anyone picked them up or knows who might have them please let us know. Gabe had a great time too but needless to say he is a bit distraught at losing his models.

Thanks,
Skeelo Black Forest Falcons

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 04:23 PM

United States of America
Jim's Norse are in OMM's hands (assuming they were in a blue case)...I think there were unpainted figs in there as well, so I assume they were his winnings? (although I though they were Phil's Phigs in there but I could be wrong)...

I let the staff at Sci-Fi City know we found them and gave them to OMM as I figured he would be the first to get the call.

Will definitely post more later. Time to eat though Very Happy

What an absolute blast of a tournament!! Very Happy Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

SkeeloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 04:46 PM

Melifaxis, Yes they were the ones in the blue case and I was wrong they were phils figs.. the valks not the vampire team. And who is OMM, sorry I dont know. How can Gabe contact him? Thanks so much He is much happier now

Eric

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 04:58 PM

United States of America
that's good that they were found. Old Man Monkey is the GReat JIM LANIER. Smile

SkeeloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 05:03 PM

LOL... OMM, I am still recovering from so much fun that I couldnt figure out who OMM was. Thanks, Ken and Melifaxis.

Eric

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 05:06 PM

Undisclosed
Well, well, well - such a chatty bunch! Very Happy

If British Airways has done their job properly, Jake and Andy are just now on their way home - I've just walked in the door and am setting up computer equpment again, so this quick post, then more later....

I'm so very glad everyone seemed to have a good time - it was as enthusiastic a group of coaches as I've seen... These first thoughts:

a. Congratulations to Ken Washington for as dominant a weekend as I've seen in some time - Overall Champion, Best Defense (no scores against), Most Casualties... and to Chris (2nd Overall) and Marcus (4-1, I think) for showing where some of the real power is on the east coast - in the Friday Night Blood Bowl League in Northern Virginia;

b. The spirit and the enthusiasm was great all weekend - 28 coaches which made for a great set of contests each day and the matches on Tables 1 through 4 were as good as I've seen (Ken's final two matches were classics...);

c. Hey, Skeelo - you Dark Elf madman! Wink - OMM is the guy doing the shouting all weekend wearing the cap that said "Old Man Monkey" - me!
I've got the blue case and I'll get with Gabe and get them to him...

I'll post the final standings and TDs/CASs later tonight - it's been a great but long five days, and the Old Monkey is beat.... time for some dinner!

-OMM

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 07:38 PM

I didn't think Khemri had what it took to win a tournament. Good job showing me wrong Ken!

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2004 - 05:57 AM

Undisclosed
Hmmm, went through the score sheets this morning as it finally pouring rain (it's pretty clear that Nuffle knew when my request for good weather was up...!). There was a win by Javier Rodriguez in Round 4 that was listed as a Tie - the extra 30 points put him in a tie with Ben Tusim for fourth and Javier won the tiebreak with ONE more touchdown.

So, since you left your trophy with me, Ben, to ship it north, I'm going to co-opt it and send it south to Javier in Miami, along with my sincerest apologies for the error. As a make up, Javier, since you didn't get to chose a prize, I'll PM you and ship along a team of your choice.

But for that, all else looked good... here's the final standings for the Three Kingdoms Challenge 2004. I'll post pics up later this morning.

Thanks everyone again for a great tournament! I'll have a tournament report at House-Rulez in another day or so... maybe even one or two pics of Jake and Andy playing 'touristo' at Universal Studios...

-OMM

GrasshopperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2004 - 06:51 AM

United States of America
OMM: "As a make up, Javier, since you didn't get to chose a prize, I'll PM you and ship along a team of your choice. "

WOW!!! Now that's a Class A organizer! Shocked

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2004 - 08:28 AM

Undisclosed
Hey, Grasshopper, there's a gift in the mail for you too... Rob tells me that you were the main man responsible for the construction of all the great pitches to help me out when I thought I might be short. Though we ended up with enough 'official' ones, I can't thank you enough for the work and help you showed by putting those together...

Thanks again... and speaking of thanks:

During the awards ceremony, I spoke aloud my very real gratitude to absent friends who had helped make the tournament first a reality, and then made the weekend special with their advice and encouragement:

Tom Anders: the reality of the TKC this past weekend is just an extension of the experience I shared with so many others at GenCon last year. Tom's skill and ability in handling a large group of Blood Bowlers encouraged me and others to try the same nearer to home. Any thanks starts here with Tom;

Tim Ibe: Not only one of the game's best players but one of community's true living assets - his web code and tournament software, and his generosity in sharing them, made the TKC become 'alive' far sooner than I could have hoped;

John Lewis: Not because he's my 'online boss', but rather his constant question of: what can I, and we, do better? His constant push for quality helped fashion a ruleset that I believe was fair, balanced, and saw the game's best qualities brought to the front and is no small reason why I enjoy working within the NAF group;

Phil Bowen: In my mind, another of our community's living assets - his sculpting and his courage to realize that particular dream should inspire all of us - and having a new friend with that much talent and knowledge right around the corner allowed me to bounce even the most ridiculous ideas off him while playing a friendly Monday night game. I learned to pay attention when Phil said, "I'm not sure that's such a good idea, Jim" and in my lexicon, that's very high praise.

In addition to absent friends and contributors, I had the good fortune to have several people present whose advice and efforts made this past weekend so very special for me:

Chet Zeshonski: None of us have a greater passion for the game of Blood Bowl than does Chet - few of us have reached an understanding of the game like this great guy and his willingness to provide adult education (telling you WHY something is or is not a good idea) is priceless. I can tell you I was pretty much a constant nag over the past four or five months, yet with Jobian patience and good humor, Chet brought me to a better understanding of the game and how to fashion the best possible tournament environment.

Brian St. James: Brian's natural rebelliousness often reminded me to trust my own instincts regarding how things should be done, and I thank him immensely for that reminder. His good humor and cheerfulness also reminded me to remember that this is a great GAME we play and that becoming a TO should not finally take away from enjoying the day and the people around you. Thanks for making the jouney, my friend, it was a real pleasure to have you and the family here;

Andy Hall: When I mentioned to Andy in Montreal that I was considering a tourney in Florida and would he be interested in coming over, I'm not quite sure he thought I was serioius. That he realized I WAS serious and further that he fit a trip across the pond around a expectant wife and a soon-to-be-born magazine just proves to me how special this guy really is - I think the community was fortunate to have him as the G-W contact for so long - I know I'm now fortunate to call him friend;

Jake Thornton: When the chance came to have the new Blood Bowl Head of System come over with Andy, I jumped at it, honestly as much to promote the tournament as anything else. Little did I know that the 'new' guy would be as friendly and nice a guy as one could ever hope to meet - not only was it a great pleasure/relief to discover that Jake's knowledge of the Blood Bowl game is superb, but his interest and understanding of game design and how games ought to work is a joy to be around.

Any shortcomings of the weekend's events are mine alone - in badly translating the ideas of others or sheer stubbonness - but whatever 'good' and 'success' and 'positives' came out of the first TKC, there are obviously a great many to credit and thank...

*snff* OK, I'm *snff* done with all the *snff* thank yous that I'm putting onine. The thank you to my local friends will be both private and more tangible... Very Happy

Looks like everyone has made it home safely but for the St. James' - let's all hope for Brian and family to make it home OK, then the tall tales and whatif stories can begin... Very Happy

-OMM

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic