NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 03:43 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Max Kneecap Mittleman found dead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 08:09 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I like it in Chicago because I'm selfish and it is close to me. Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 10:43 PM

United States of America
GW is going to do GW things. the simple fact that you are going to "Compete" with the Chaos Cup is probably why they would be thinking of folding it. GW sees only things that GW does, IE if their Tournament in the USA is bringing in 40 people... as compared to the BB tourny in England.. then they will have no choice to fold it. it doesnt matter to GW if someone has a tourney bringing in more. They will only see what the Chaos Cup participation is.

Actively competing with GW and attempting to take possible business away from them for a hobby that is only reliant on its fanbase is just going to end up killing the game.. again.

thats just my opinion. not saying that we should all bow down before the mighty GW, just that this game has limited support keeping it alive. Its not Warhammer or 40k. When GW sees low interest in the tournament, it will just cancel. And the US fans of Blood Bowl will lose their right to one of the 'cups' of Blood Bowl, because of a few people.

We should be supporting everything that GW does with Blood Bowl, especially if you are a fan of the game. They are the ones that publish it, and choose to keep it in production. They have the final say. They stop seeing support for it in official GW events, they will stop caring for it, it will go on the back burner, and we will have to wait for the next relaunch in 5 years.

I am kind of tired, so I hope i made sense. Everyone should goto the Chaos Cup.

BBC Lockerroom

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 12:02 AM

Hey, it's GW's own fault for putting the Chaos Cup at the same date as the GenCon. GenCon's date was announced before that of the Chaos Cup, and lots of people had already planned to go there when GW announced the Chaos Cup. It's their own fault for not planning any better.

No, people should keep going to GenCon, because from what i hear it's 10 times better than the pitiful Chaos Cup.

If GW had the sense to move it, then people could go to both.

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 08:26 AM

Germany
I just attended the Halfings Dinner Mug and Gregg had the liberty to reveal the date for the Chaos Cup....It looks like they learned a lesson, but I don't know if they improved it by doing so.

Apparently it's going to be a one day tournament on Nov 6, 2004 at the Battlebunker in Chicago.

The winner of the HDM got a free entry certificate where this information was stated on.

So let's see what the official word will be.

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

ggierschOffline
Post subject: Chaos Cup in November!  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 10:24 AM

Yes, Tojurub is correct. The Chaos Cup will be held in November. I too am worried about implied competition and lack of support for the Chaos Cup. I thought last year's was just fine. It was the first and I expect that it can only get better. The last thing I want to do is tout the Halfling Dinner Mug as being better than another tournament. I will say that we have a great tournament for some reasons - but please let me know if I ever wander off the path by comparing it to someone elses in a negative fashion!

Take the GenCon tournament for example. Tom has asked me if I could talk about his tournament and get a group of folks to go. I did that because he requested it, and I would love to see folks go to a number of tournaments. It really is up to us to do the same thing for the Chaos Cup. What I would like to see not happen here is a number of possible messages telling people why they should not go to the Chaos Cup.

I'm all for a positive discussion on what could make this year's Chaos Cup a better event in the eyes of the Blood Bowl community.

Let that discussion begin!

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 10:47 AM

Germany
Here's MY opinion about the Chaos Cup:

The rules: They should have the same rules for all 4 major tournaments during one year! If they set the rules for the BB in Nottingham they should adapt that for the Chaos Cup, the Spike! Magazine Trophy and the Dungeonbowl (with the exception of the finals to be played in DB-style).

They should have some experience from the last years with BB and last year CC. Learn from the mistakes and keep the good things. I know that GW likes to do their own things, that's their well deserved right, but they should also TRY to understand their customers needs and wishes, which sometimes I don't see that happening.

My highest respect to Galak and his great experience, but sometimes he comes across as being the person everybody has to adapt to. I have to point out that I don't mean that in any bad way!!!! Many people agree with him that certain rules worked out fine at GenCon (e.g. Starplayer rule), but maybe GW wants to take their own way of dealing things. Is it good or even fair? I don't know....I think it's just a different way and everybody has to respect that. If I don't like the rules, just stay away, if you like the rules or you can live with them even though you don't think they are perfect: Go to the tournament!...and have fun playing other BB-maniacs Very Happy

I'm all for voicing your opinion here or at TBB or at the GW forum, but do it in a constructive way (similar what Galak does) and don't bitch about it!

As for this years Chaos Cup: I like the fact that they decoupled it from GamesDay, I just wish they would have kept the 2-day format. I don't know if I'm willing to fly in to play just 3 games. One of the fun things about 2-day tournaments is the getting together with the other players after the games get to know them away from the boards and see how they are doing the next day.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 10:55 AM

United States of America
Well said Greg.

A few thoughts:
* A one day event may make the cost for travelling coaches a little tougher to stomach. It does for me. Add that to the fact that we're a lot more spread out than our European counterparts makes a pretty significant obstacle.

* The winner should get to take the trophy home (after signing a release that they will return it). Or maybe receive a plastic replica to keep permanently. GW certainly has the plastics technology to produce it.

*Exclusive mini's draw attendance...coins don't seem to be a big draw

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Last edited by Melifaxis on Feb 10, 2004 - 01:21 PM; edited 1 time in total

majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 12:12 PM

United States of America
yay, now i can goto both tourneys and make GW and Galak happy Smile

In all honesty, I still say that as fans of this game we should support/participate in as many GW run BB events as possible. thats the only way they see people supporting the game. Besides buying the minis.

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Germany
Anybody having an ide how much they charge this year?

ggierschOffline
Post subject: Chaos Cup Specifics  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 01:03 PM

I'm not sure what the price is yet, but I will be placing a call to the source and keep everyone updated.

Keep watching this space!

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 01:21 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I had planned on going to the chaos cup this year already and maybe teh spike as well, my problem with some of the changes is that they seem to be trying to kill the tournament with changes like fewer spots available then there were last year and a one day as opposed to two day event. They are forcing a lower turnout. When can we expect to hear an offical work on the tournament? How many games SP rules etc? Is this going to end up like the Dungeon Bowl which has become a huge disaster I hope they get turned around in time but it is ugly now. If they don't give bloodbowl a chance of course it will fail.

Carnage4uOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:31 PM

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 04:22 PM

A one day major? I don't think so. November is the UCon in Ann Arbor. And only 3 weeks before Nov. 6this the Death Bowl II in Montreal. Compare as we dare I think the people who attended the Death bowl last year got a lot better deal than the Chaos cup group did. This year is going to be even bigger! Bet on it!

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 04:46 PM

All i can say is that i know i'll be going to the Death Bowl this year and i also know that i won't be going to the Chaos Cup. But considering that i live in Montreal, that's hardly a fair comparison.

I won't go to GenCon either because i don't like gaming convensions and don't see why i should pay for registration to something i have no interest in. If Galak's tournament weren't held at a gaming convension though, i'd be very tempted to go.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 08:14 PM

Zombie wrote:
All i can say is that i know i'll be going to the Death Bowl this year

Yeah that's one... Very Happy

Zombie wrote:
I won't go to GenCon either because i don't like gaming convensions

Z, there's gaming cons and then there's GenCon. I took 2 guys with me last year, practically dragged them there actually, and they thought the same way as yourself. They are 100% converts. Definetly going back this year. Might even be room in the car for you.Temped? Smile

Zombie wrote:
Galak's tournament weren't held at a gaming convension though, i'd be very tempted to go.

I think you'd be in the minority there. I'm not trying to say it still wouldn't be a big great tournament or that it being GenCon was the only reason it was big. But even Galak admits that it being at GenCon helps. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tourney or no I'm going back to gencon this year. That Galak is running his event there makes it all the more sweet.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic