NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 23, 2024 - 02:15 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tournament Director in ratings fix scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 11:23 AM

Germany
I have tears in my eyes reading your post, Indigo.

You speak from my heart....and probably of many more.

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Reply with quote Back to top
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Toronto, ON
      Quote:
Also, since it says that a head coach model is not needed to argue the call, it implies that one is not needed for theming purposes.

Actually it has always been like this, but it's a minor point anyways.

Do we know who wrote these rules? Have they been officially published yet?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 11:38 AM

Germany
I'm still hoping that these pre-released "rules" are just a way to see how the community reacts and they will actually come up with real rules.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 11:53 AM

England
Well WYSIWIG is a little pointless, I must admit. I was just trying to be a little more positive about it.

I don't think painting is a sliding scale. All your models are based you get 7, they're not you get 0. Same for painting and detailed. And where does it say you get judged by your opponent each round?

Quote:
Themes - does that mean my xmas goblin team should score more points than a normal goblin team that is simply well painted in nice colours? So we're now all required to come up with some wacky overriding theme rather than simply a common uniform?

We MUST write 200 words minimum, according to the rules, or we lose points. Also, since it says that a head coach model is not needed to argue the call, it implies that one is not needed for theming purposes.

That sounds quite hysterical, and rather difficult to believe. If this was a 40K GT then the Xmas Gobbos would get the themed marks, but then so would a team that was all painted the same colour, had a team name and the coach had written a short story or a bit of history about them. If past experience of GTs is anything to go by then it doesn't even have to be any good, you still get the marks. In any case 200 words is not that many. Write out your team roster in a non-list form and you're half way there.

I don't see much room for misinterpretation myself. There is scope for abuse of the sportsmanship points, but then there always is. In my experience few people, if any, do abuse the system. Sportsmanship is, IMO, an important part of the scoring but no one has yet devised a system that is not open to abuse or doesn't force you to punish 5 sporting coaches because they were not quite as nice as the sixth.

The quiz questions will probably be very simply worded, along the lines of "Which team can Griff Oberwald play for? A) Humans, B) Dwarves, C) Orcs, or D) Bananas." I think if the foreign players have trouble with the quiz they may struggle playing the games as well. And there are normally a fair number of foreign coaches at 40k GTs.

The above text is 385 words. Wink

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 11:54 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Asked JJ/Andy/Jake about the tournament and the system ... mainly my questions where twofold:

1) 40% non-gaming points seems way way too high. 20% is the maximum I thought sounded reasonable.

2) Having 10% based on a quiz written in English when the Blood Bowl attracts a world community and other points based on having a written team background (again in English) seemed wrong.

Jervis response clarifies these points and the proper who to write if you want to discuss the issue. He also gave me permission to post his response.

Quote:
To: BBRC
Subject: RE: Blood Bowl Rules
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:11:59 -0000

I'd like to draw a line under this discussion if we can. Fascinating as it is, it's the UK events team that came up with the rules pack rather than Fanatic, and I'd be loath for us to go and stick our oar in about a matter like this. To put things in context, the UK have always felt that the 'hobby' side of the hobby was something that should be emphasised strongly in their tournaments, which is why the marking system is set up the way that it is, and their remit is to provide a tournament for the *UK* market rather than a global one, which is why they are not too worried about including tests and points for team histories. If any of you have really strong issues about these things, I recommend getting in touch with the UK events team about them (their email address is on the UK website). They are really good people, and will be happy to listen to any constructive criticism, though I really doubt they are in a position to change anything at this late stage.

Best regards,

Jervis Johnson
Head Fanatic

Now I had to dig ... but I think the email address Jervis is referring to for discussion of the rules to the right folks is:
specgt@games-workshop.co.uk

Hope this helps ... I'm trying to keep my promise of getting information back to you guys.

Galak

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 12:12 PM

Germany
Too late...I already send an e-mail to fanatic@gw... just asking to reconsider some points...I hope I was polite enough so they don't throw the e-mail out right away.

There's one thing which bothers me....its the GW events team who does the organizing, but shouldn't they have at least some knowledge about Blood Bowl...or if they don't, at least ask somebody in the Fanatic office about advice.

I don't know if I remember that correctly, but in the one BB Mag where the Pro Elf team was decscribed, Jervis made a comment about the connection to Warhammer was a mistake and they try to get away from that......and now they send out this rule set, which has Warhammer written all over it

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 01:00 PM

Toronto, ON
Well warhammer the universe and Warhammer the GT system are completely different things.

BTW where does this 200 word write up come from, I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 03:32 PM
Former President

England
From the WHFB/40K GT rulespack:
Themed
The player has themed the force,
adding a piece of background text
to the force roster which is clearly
representative of the force itself and
the particular theme the player is
presenting.The background text is
legible and between 200 and 600
words in length.

AncalagonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 12:19 AM

Well, once I write it ¿could someone read and try to correct my mistakes? Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 12:29 AM

Undisclosed
To be pedantic, there is nothing that says that the theme has to be written in English... Give the judges something to think about Wink Then again, you probably would just annoy them and get lower marks. Probably best not to do that.

TimOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 01:20 AM

Germany
Good idea ... i'll do mine in German ... we use more words for simple things anyway Smile

By the way, last year Che Webster was the tournament organizator from the event team and he did a decent job.

TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 02:17 AM

Undisclosed
I would say that it is a bit late to ask them to change things, at least from a printing perspective, as the Information and Rules Pack (including ticket) arrived in this morning's post. Less information than I would have hoped for in some areas (like local area and accomodation) and a 'don't argue with us' tone in places, but the gist of the rules are as posted on HR website.

-Torpor

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 02:21 AM
Da Warboss

England
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Do we know who wrote these rules? Have they been officially published yet?
      Tojurub wrote:
I'm still hoping that these pre-released "rules" are just a way to see how the community reacts and they will actually come up with real rules.

The rules preview I delivered from the HR site is based on the actual rules pack that is in the post to ticket buyers - I received the HR competition ticket and pack on the Thursday before the competition so I've had plenty of time to read through it and check it out.

Mordredd wrote:
That sounds quite hysterical

Wink It was intended to be so, to prove the point that while a themed "force" might be worth more points and special recognition in a 40k tourney, it's inappropriate for a BB one. Fair enough, a themed, well painted team should be a strong candidate for best painted, but it should not pick up extra marks every round for simply having christmas hats on.

The reason I say that it gets them at every round is based on the result cards for each round. Every one has a box for WYSIWYG, Team Background, Painted, Based, Themed & "Force Markings" Rolling Eyes which strongly implies your opponent rates you at every round. You get 1 pt for each round then perhaps 1 extra from the eavy metal team. Who knows, it doesn't say, but it's my guess.

As for coaches not being able to understand the sentence "Whch team....", according to my reliable sources Tarra's grasp of english is rudimentary at best. And he won it last year... And remember that when jervis was asking questions to the audience in Bugmans after the event, there was a 10 second delay as the message was translated for the spanish team, all of which did fairly well, so it kinda shows that BB skill is not related to the languages you speak Wink

That snippet from DW is pretty much word for word what's in the BB rules pack too Smile

NAF #60

AncalagonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 03:44 AM

Indigo wrote:

As for coaches not being able to understand the sentence "Whch team....", according to my reliable sources Tarra's grasp of english is rudimentary at best.

I can confirm this, my last match was awful, trying to know if Tarra had any language problem...

Indigo wrote:
And remember that when jervis was asking questions to the audience in Bugmans after the event, there was a 10 second delay as the message was translated for the spanish team, all of which did fairly well, so it kinda shows that BB skill is not related to the languages you speak Wink

Yep, I can remember... I think I didn't understand a word from the speech, and had to translate (thanks to Dan and his fluent english we could know some details).
But also Tarra and some other guys of Spanish team don't know how to paint (Tarra got 2 points last year) so maybe this year having a spanish champ will be impossible... but not due quality of playing, just for the rest of rules.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 04:41 AM
Da Warboss

England
      Ancalagon wrote:
maybe this year having a spanish champ will be impossible...

now we know why they're using these rules Very Happy

NAF #60

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic