NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 10:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Jaw! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 03:41 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
2) With your skill system ... why random player? If I have to purchase skills, I'd think it would be okay to assign them. I mean if I want to save up for +1 ST, I need to play 3 games with no skills. After that I'd like to know someone was going to get +1 ST to make it worth playing those first 3 games skillless.

Sometimes you only need to play with one less skill for a single game to get the +1 ST. Say that your first priority is leader. You take nothing after game 1, and spend 30k after game 2 on leader. After game 3, you've got 30k again. You can spend it right there on a normal skill, a double, a MA or an AV, or you can wait just one more game and get +1 ST.

Personally, i like the random aspect. I solves the problem of big guys always taking block after game 1 without needing dumb rules like no general skills for big guys. Also, with the way Neo has people spending money on skills, it adds a lot more decision making to the process. Do i want to give this player a skill or do i wait some more for a better skill (or even stat upgrade) on another player?

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Canada
      Zombie wrote:
... It solves the problem of big guys always taking block after game 1 without needing dumb rules like no general skills for big guys.

Am wondering why you think this is a dumb rule? Personally, I think it works. It would be an easy solution the overly-powrful ogre team.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 04:57 PM

The ogre team is the problem, not the ogres. The LRB has no ogre team and big guys there are perfectly balanced.

Talk about adding something broken and fixing it by breaking something else!

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 05:21 PM

Canada
I started a new thread on the big guy issue, don't want to hijack this one debating....

Spazz.

P.s. I would LOVE to be able to come, and know some others who probably are, but I am not counting on it.....

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 06:46 PM

Hmm, re-reading my comments before I think the tone was a little more harsh than it was meant to be. Anyone who goes to the trouble of putting together a tournament deserves a lot of praise. I didn't mean to sound like I was being negative towards your tourney.

XeterogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 08:11 PM

Texas
Hmm...now I'm conflicted. Was thinking of going to the Chaos Cup..but JJ will be at this Con...I know I can't make both of them (live in Texas...it's not a sure thing I can make even one..much less two of them......)....descisions, descisions...

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 09:37 PM

Netherlands
      CyberHare wrote:
I just looked at the rules Shocked Sad I'm sad to see some of these things creeping into tournament play. Now I know I don't think I'll be at the tourney but I'm going to comment on the rules just the same as there are some disturbing trends starting to emerge.

Random Player Skills - So basically if I get screwed on a couple skill rolls I can kiss my tourney goodbye. There are only 6 games to play, it's not as though the "law of averages" will work things out over the long run. There is no long run. The first three picks are critical to get you where you are going. Getting two of them on a gimp will be a lovely treat for somoene who has payed to play at the event.

There's a risk in saving for the better skill rolls. If you save for a ST increase, there's a risk that it wont land on the player type you want.

This also helps limit the min/max factor in allowing skills that normally don't get seen in tournament play.

In particular I like the coaching decisions this puts on players. Do you want to use a regular skill on a lineman after the first game, or hope to get a hit on a position player for 30K after you second round.

What are you worried about? The Amazons will still use the same system they always use... +block +block +block +block +block +block Smile

Quote:
Re-rolls for illegal procedure - I do truly fail to see why anyone thinks this is a good idea. I have only ever played a handfull of games where my opponent has moved his turn marker ever turn. No way do I deserve to get a re-roll because he forgot to move his turn marker. The only reason I can see that people are liking this rule is that they are looking forward to getting free re-rolls off a bunch of tourney newbies who are having a hard time to start with. The worst of it is that it's usually the frustrated coach who forgets to move it and this is only helping to burry him further and faster by allowing his opponent that one more chance to "get it right". This is such a "power gamer" way to handle illegal procedures and I am very surprised that it's not getting completely slagged as such. Just get rid of the IP all together, problem solved. If your opponent forgets to move his turn marker, remind him. Come on, how childish are we?

IP is there to make sure the turn marker gets moved correctly. Period.

If players aren't calling IP because it's seen as too harsh, then it's got to be softened. A RR is really a small penalty, but if it gets both players to mind the turn markers it's worth it. Eventually coaches will learn to do it and it wont affect the game at all.

Quote:
Star Players - No matter what the cost they are not in the spirit of tourney play as far as I'm concerned. That's obviously a personal opinion and not a game mechanic.

Noted.

[/quote]4 games on day 1 - John I'm really surprised to see you have 4 games on day one as you were the original opponent to this idea. It's do-able yes but what about the Saturday evening dinner? The after party? The evening gab feast and general hanging out? I think you know what I'm getting at but I'll state it just the same. A tourney isn't just about the games, it's about getting together as friends and having a good time. 4 games of BB are for one very tiring and two counter productive to the friendly envorinment that I myself attend the events for. Now maybe there are some scheduling issues that force this, I don't know.[/quote]

Trust me, it's a scheduling issue. I hate that we have four games in one day. As you can see above in Galak's quote (thanks Galak!) I've been on record as saying four games is too much.

I'm trying to find a way around it.

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 09:54 PM

Netherlands
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
John after reading through the rules ... I have 3 comments and yeah ... feel free to ignore them since my wife veto'd me coming up.

Heh. Wont ignore them. You (and Brian) are one of the best tournament organizers out there. I value your opinions Worship

Quote:
1) The 4th game on day 1. The single thing that made me come back last year and made me risk my wife's wrath this year to ask to still come even with my niece's 1st birthday was the dinner on Saturday night with everyone. Eating, debating, and then after dinner going out to the bar and eating and debating some more. That single event was more important to me than the tournament. So I share Cyberhare's thoughts that you eliminated the best part of the Underworld Cup (at least to me). Also ... CyberHare is right ... you were the one who said and I quote:

Quote:

neoliminal
Posted: 17 Dec 2003 23:20
Subject: GenCon Bowl 2004

Neo: I desperately want more games at GenCon.

Galak: So the question becomes ... John what do you think of 4 games on Friday with the final round on Saturday morning. Are you game for that?

Neo: Four games in one day is the blood bowl version of torture. Don't do it.

Sorry, I'm at the mercy of the convention schedulers.

Quote:
2) With your skill system ... why random player? If I have to purchase skills, I'd think it would be okay to assign them. I mean if I want to save up for +1 ST, I need to play 3 games with no skills. After that I'd like to know someone was going to get +1 ST to make it worth playing those first 3 games skillless.

The random roll does three things.

1. Emphasizes coaching skill choices by taking players out of the normal pre-planned skill choices that run rampant at tournaments now. (you can find skill choices for tournaments in the tournament threads.)

2. Allows for skill choices not currently available at tournaments (doubles, stat increases...)

3. Makes the skill choice more interesting.

Quote:
3) Agreed with Zombie. In the LRB 3.0, the Master Chef is free so if you are saying he costs 150k ... what exactly is costing 150k?????

Recommendation: Either use the Vault rules that for 150k he rolls 3D6 each half and steal one and gains one reroll for each 2+ roll or
say that extra ingredients cost 60k a piece (3x - GenCon 2004 and Chaos Cup 2004) ... or 80k a piece (4x - Deathbowl 2004)

Galak

Mea culpa... Have to change that.

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 10:03 PM

Netherlands
      Zombie wrote:
Cool!
I see that you're using my sportsmanship system. At the Spike!, people were asked to give a 2 unless they had a good reason not to (it said so in the rules pack). Still, most people gave mostly 3s. Unless you force people to give average marks, it's not going to happen.

Yes, thanks for the idea.

Quote:
You're also using my pairing through NAF rankings in round 1 (well that one isn't really mine, i just suggested that because every chess tournament in the world already works that way). Be advised that you might want to assign a 150 CR to coaches who don't have one, rather than pairing them all at the bottom of the ladder in round 1. That's how they do it in chess. Of course, this will not change anything if you have an even number of coaches with NAF rankings. Also, in chess, they use this every round as a tie breaker to determine matchups. You might want to do that as well.

Oh, good one. I'll definately do that.

Quote:
Also, you probably didn't use this because of me, but i'm glad you give more points for a tie than for a loss by one TD. The 5 points for a tie in CAS is a nice addition too, i like that!

Cheerfully stolen from Chaos Cup.

Quote:
You've got Brian's dice rule, that's nice.

Yep. Another cheerfully stolen idea.

Quote:
I like the skill system, it's a cool twist. You forgot to mention whether a player can take more than one skill/upgrade. I take it to mean that there are no limits in that respect? Can the money be spent on players, apothecaries and the like? You don't say anywhere that it can't...

Yep. Stack away.

Quote:
I don't like the rule for multiple star players. Two rolls that happen out of the game can easily decide a game. It would be better to let both teams have their star, or neither team. If you must have him only once, then you should make him switch team automatically at halftime.

I wanted it to be risky for people to bring stars. If you bring them, then you will have to suffer the whims of the stars when you play an opponent with the same star.

Quote:
You should specify how the halfling chef works, as there are 3 or 4 different versions out there, and you don't even seem to be using the official one (as you don't mention ingredients anywhere).

Have to fix that. :-\

Quote:
The added zombie i think makes necromantic and undead teams too good in your tournament.

Disagree.

Quote:
Can star players use TRR? How about leader RR?

No and no.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 10:37 PM

neoliminal wrote:
      Quote:
I like the skill system, it's a cool twist. You forgot to mention whether a player can take more than one skill/upgrade. I take it to mean that there are no limits in that respect? Can the money be spent on players, apothecaries and the like? You don't say anywhere that it can't...

Yep. Stack away.

How about the second part of the question?

neoliminal wrote:
      Quote:
I don't like the rule for multiple star players. Two rolls that happen out of the game can easily decide a game. It would be better to let both teams have their star, or neither team. If you must have him only once, then you should make him switch team automatically at halftime.

I wanted it to be risky for people to bring stars. If you bring them, then you will have to suffer the whims of the stars when you play an opponent with the same star.

Yeah, but it's only a risk when you face another team that has the same star. And then, it's the same risk for both teams. You're not penalizing teams with stars when they play against teams with no stars. All you're doing is making it very likely (50% chance) for a game with two teams that have one to be no fun at all (one team gets the star for both halves, so you've got a TR 100 team playing against a TR 70 team).

And another question i've just thought about. Are there prizes to be won at the tournament or just sheets of paper with "congratulations" written on them? And are there other awards to be given on top of the first and second place described in your rules pack? For example, most TDs, most casualties, most sportsman, etc.

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 11:47 PM

Netherlands
No, I don't think you can use that money for anything other than skills. And you can't start with money in your treasury either (just predicting the next train of thought.)

As for the stars, I don't expect to see many. They are still quite expensive even at 1.8X normal cost.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 12:18 AM

Oh, so that's the formula you used! I wondered where you took those prices from...

I think you made a small mistake with Varag; he should be 290k. Everybody else was rounded off to the closest 10k.

As for stars being rare, you may well be right. But then why the special rule about only one of each per game?

By the way, if i find a way to come, i'm thinking of fielding a necro team with a star player. Since i can get zombies for free (raise the dead) and a reroll for semi-free (leader), i've got money to spare...

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 04:39 AM

neoliminal wrote:
Heh. Wont ignore them. You (and Brian) are one of the best tournament organizers out there. I value your opinions

Thanks for the praise. Very Happy

neoliminal wrote:
There's a risk in saving for the better skill rolls. If you save for a ST increase, there's a risk that it wont land on the player type you want.

It's not just a risk, it's a high probability that you won't get the player you want. It's the random out of game nature of the idea that I don't like. Now if it were something like you can only put a skill on someone that earned SPP's during a game that might be interesting. I still don't like it but I dislike it less than the random out of game pick.

neoliminal wrote:
What are you worried about? The Amazons will still use the same system they always use... +block +block +block +block +block +block Smile

Are you sayin' I'm predictable Razz

neoliminal wrote:
IP is there to make sure the turn marker gets moved correctly. Period.

Agreed.

neoliminal wrote:
If players aren't calling IP because it's seen as too harsh, then it's got to be softened. A RR is really a small penalty, but if it gets both players to mind the turn markers it's worth it. Eventually coaches will learn to do it and it wont affect the game at all.

Players aren't calling IP because it too harsh and too cheezy. A RR is a small penalty yes, but it's also a big bonus to the person who called the IP. No one calls the IP now because there's nothing in it for them other then being mean to your opponent. If you give people a free RR everyone is going to call it. Even vets like you and I forget to move our turn counters. As I recall we both forgot to move it in our last game. I don't think I deserved any bonus because you fogot to move your counter. I remember a game I played at Gencon in the last round this year where I reminded my opponent to move his turn counter every other turn. The poor guy was playing for the first time in years and was at the bottom of the rankings. I beat him as it was, I would have hated to add insult to injury by gaining RR's because of his inexperience. I don't like this idea because of the change in mindset it will bring in coaches. Yes coaches will be calling IP now but it won't be to help out their opponent as it is now, it'll be out of greed to get that extra RR. I don't believe this will help anyone to remember to move their counter really. In the heat of the moment people will still forget and at a critical moment turn over an extra chance to their opponent to get the job done right.

neoliminal wrote:
Trust me, it's a scheduling issue.

That's what I figured. Just wanted to check Smile

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 05:59 AM

i don't think that the skills taken in normal tournys are overly predictable, or well mine aren't

i usually take guard on the mummys rather than block when playing undead, I also don't normally take block on my minotaur, i've given him break tackle and at the spike i didn't give him anything

its the unusual skill rolls that oft make the other guy have to adjust to playing a race they are used too differently

Jon

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 06:58 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

John,

By scheduling, do you mean they are saying you have to run day 1 until 8 pm?

Or that you really want to play 6 games?

I think you misunderstood me. I'd rather have a 5 game tournament and the fun of going out with everyone on Saturday night than a 6 game tournament without that.

After playing at the Memorial Mayhem which was 4 games in one day. I was wiped out and wanted nothing more than to get home. I'm not sure how much folks will want to enjoy the evening after 4 games in one day.

So I'm not sure if you are saying the event is forcing you to play 4 games in one day. I think what you are saying is that you really want 6 games and the only way to do so is to pack 4 days on Saturday. If this second is true, I hope you'd consider 5 games total.

But like I said, I got veto'd coming. But I'm hoping folks like Anthony and OMM would chime in here as well so I know if its just Brian and I with this belief.

Brian ... which would you rather have: 6 games total and playing until 8 on Sat. ... or ... 5 games total and playing until 5 on Saturday?

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic