NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 03:09 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Leap over this you Wood Elf scum! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RakarthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2005 - 04:30 AM

Yeah, very true steel, it is a risk to jump in the middle of a cage! and the combo used is to give a reasonable chance of opening the play a bit..

Oh and I have changed my team already, I was playing with Undead for a couple of years, but after a while, perfected them and became boring.

I hope i'm not aggrevating anyone with this topic, just wanted your opinions. I shall take your advice and change the game plan a bit, and force my opponent to play their hand more, rather than wreck his cage.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Canada
      Rakarth wrote:
Oh and I have changed my team already, I was playing with Undead for a couple of years, but after a while, perfected them and became boring.

Do you mean you perfected the team, or your skill as a coach with that particular team?

Rakarth wrote:
I hope i'm not aggrevating anyone with this topic, just wanted your opinions. I shall take your advice and change the game plan a bit, and force my opponent to play their hand more, rather than wreck his cage.

But by wrecking his cage you are forcing his hand. You are leaving him with fewer defensive players and less to set up with the next time. If he is going to stall, then make him pay! Unless you have a team that can leap, dodge, prance and do all those other airy fairy things that do not involve maiming him into submission.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

SteelThunderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2005 - 11:02 PM

United States of America
In our Reading, PA league (the former PCBBL), when I had a slow marching cage running down field both the Skaven coach and the Undead coach would back out of my way and swarm one or two of my other players. The threat of death of another player was enough to convince me to score and not drag out the "stalling-game".

As mentioned before, it may not be the most sporting tactic, but if you are playing to win, sometimes it's necessary. Peronally, I think it's much more sporting than fouling, but that too is part of the game. This is Blood Bowl after all isn't it?

NAF#2583

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 05:16 AM

Undisclosed
      SteelThunder wrote:
There are tactics to handle players like the AG-5 elf in question. You simply have to play with an open cage, allowing him to get in and once he's in, you swarm him and crush him.

Enter if you dare elf.

Ok...just so I have this straight...and I'm taking notes here...the solution to the AG5 Elf is to hit him? Hmm...hadn't thought of that. Wink

Thanks. -RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 06:10 AM

Canada
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      SteelThunder wrote:
There are tactics to handle players like the AG-5 elf in question. You simply have to play with an open cage, allowing him to get in and once he's in, you swarm him and crush him.

Enter if you dare elf.

Ok...just so I have this straight...and I'm taking notes here...the solution to the AG5 Elf is to hit him? Hmm...hadn't thought of that. Wink

Thanks. -RobO

That is a very interesting strategy there. I think I might just give that one a try next time I play an elf team.
Laughing

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Canada
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:

conversely the simple solution to busting a cage is to have an AG5 elf on your team! Damn! I should have thought of that! How much does one cost for my Rotters team? Wink

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Undisclosed
Hmmm. Waiting for Elves to fail dodge rolls and kill themselves seemed a bit slow. Will have to try blocking... Wink

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 08:23 AM

But watching prancy elveses stub their toes and die is so much more fun then the simple act of pounding them into the gvround with blocks. I mean come on any moron with a pulse can block elves, but it takes real skill to let them prance until they break themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
RakarthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 08:25 AM

Yes, those accursed 1's!!

SteelThunderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 11:32 PM

United States of America
Not just hitting them, but presenting an opportunity to lure him in. It's a bit of a risky tactic, but I've pulled it off successfully before, many times. You keep a looser formation with the cage, but have tacklers spread out so that there is one obvious way in, but no easy way out. Diving tacklers make this much better.

The Idea is that they opponent will get a 1-die block on the ball carrier. You have to be prepared for the ball to pop loose. By using an open-style cage, you will have TZ's on the ball after it bounces. Your opponent, again, will not have an easy time to get to it, even with a 5 AG, has to roll a 3 to pick up if you have 2 TZ's on that ball.

Just simply make them dodgey bastards roll as many dice as possible, eventually lady luck will smile upon you and you can make elf-souffle'.

NAF#2583

Igor_TahavanaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 - 10:45 AM

Worcestershire
Elves should be slapped. Continue slapping until Elf mush is all that remains. Then scoop up said Elf mush, put it in a water-tight sack, freeze it, and hey-presto! - one Dwarf punch-bag for training with. Pow

As for the ball stalling... anyone who complains about ball stalling is generally playing either a really fast team or has a right-stuff player they can't wait to throw. That is exactly the reason for ball-stalling / running the clock / clock management / whatever you want to call it.

My old Dwarf team won over 90% of their matches, and they didn't do it by giving the ball to Skaven teams with 2 turns to go! That is just foolish.

Yes it is frustrating sometimes, but there can be ways to stop it. Ball stalling uses a fair few players. That means that generally you'll have more players left elsewhere. So use your weight of numbers to kill the other players. Manufacture some shoves in to the crowd. Throw a gobbo at an empty square near the ball carrier (you never know quite what might happen then, always sows a few seeds of doubt that one). Use skills like leap to be a pain in the butt.

I've ball stalled, and I've been ball stalled against. It's a tactic you can only play with a certain degree of nerve in certain situations, and it's a tactic that can backfire horribly. I know ways to break a 'stall' and they're not always by getting the ball; simply making the player walk over the line quicker than he wanted to can be counted as success.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Undisclosed
      SteelThunder wrote:
Not just hitting them, but presenting an opportunity to lure him in. It's a bit of a risky tactic, but I've pulled it off successfully before, many times. You keep a looser formation with the cage, but have tacklers spread out so that there is one obvious way in, but no easy way out. Diving tacklers make this much better.

The Idea is that they opponent will get a 1-die block on the ball carrier. You have to be prepared for the ball to pop loose. By using an open-style cage, you will have TZ's on the ball after it bounces. Your opponent, again, will not have an easy time to get to it, even with a 5 AG, has to roll a 3 to pick up if you have 2 TZ's on that ball.

Just simply make them dodgey bastards roll as many dice as possible, eventually lady luck will smile upon you and you can make elf-souffle'.

Won't the traditional cage have at least 2 TZs on the ball even regardless? Also...if the ball is not enough of a lure for the poncy WarDancer then too bad for the Wood Elf coach...let him crash himself against the outer walls all day...besides why would you give the Elf a 1D block. Even Elves can throw good 1d blocks once and a while. Wink

I think that the loose cage for Dwarfs is a bit of a waste of resources...no need to "trick" blitzes onto the ball carrier. The stubborness of the Dwarfs... "This is what we are going to do...stop us if you can."

NAF Member #5236
---

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2005 - 01:54 AM

Anchorage, Alaska
I prefer Elf (DE) teams and I enjoy it when my opponent forms a tight closed cage, especially with one side of it anchored on or near the sidelines. A pushback from the outside forward corner on a diagonal lane usually makes a mess of the whole formation, especially if the target gets knocked down and gums up the mess by being Stunned. Sometimes its even worth doing with a Witch Elf for Frenzy's bonus second block if that means I have a chance of driving someone off the field or deliberately pushing the ballcarrier to the edge of the cage.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic