NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 10:20 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
This happened to me only yesterday rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2005 - 10:04 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Don't forget that now www.thesouthernwastesscrimmage.com is up - kinda. (Needs some tweaking).

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Reply with quote Back to top
BeefyGoodnessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Hey all, been chatting with folks about cancon a fair bit and have to say a lot of people including myself are dubious about the the proposed changes to the living rulebook rules for the event. Perhaps this is a direct result of my use of count luthor von drakenburg in a tournament, during which time I was asked if I thought it was overpowered. At the time I agreed, because my point of view is that no star players should be allowed in tournies full stop (excepting maybe gobboes and halflings). Now with the increase of all undead teams zombie and skeleton to 40k each, its not only the undead team that feels the pinch but necro and khemri too. If this rules change is merely to prohibit the use of certain star players its definitely going about it the wrong way. I just feel its punishing the undead/necro/khemri teams unfairly....why would people take a team that will be effectively 60-70k down?

BeefyGoodnessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Anyway, for those interested. My mind has been made up. I like my count figure and the rules changes definitely don't hinder me taking him in my undead team. Here it is for those interested:
2 wights, 1 ghoul, 6 zombiez and 1 skeleton, 1 count luthor von drakenburg, 1 reroll and 1 fanfactor. 10k in the bank saving for Mummies.

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2005 - 11:22 PM

Australia
I agree.. do away with such star players for tourneys rather than tweak certain teams to make them unaffordable

danOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2006 - 03:38 AM

Good points Beefy. I totally agree.

And I should point out that I could (and may) take a human team with the count (or griff).

OZjestingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 - 05:07 PM

*laughs at beefy* You believe star players should NOT be used in tournements...yet you persist in using one??? I like the ethics involved in the decision Wink

I shall be my usual High Elf self...and our Prince will once again price himself out of the games. Not that we would use him anyway...we too believe that Stars should not be involved in tournements...and practice what we preach!

See you boys (and your "stars" soon)

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 - 08:28 PM

Australia
Not to mention the Prince has to be the crappest star player going around

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:19 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
However, there might be a note that during MOAB, Beefy _started_ with two mummies. That's a significant change in the lineup.

As to changes to Khemri and Necro, well they've been hit slightly that's for sure, but they also have been rather 'topheavy' in the powergamer stakes looking at who's played them in tournaments gone by in Oz. I don't think though that the 10K hike for them is significant enough the rule them out form being a competitive side.

I'm interested in the way that other people would have ruled it. I think that the ability for teams to have stars permanently on the roster is a nice ability in such a short tournament. Is it just too 'broken' to achieve? We will see.

Washed up old has been.

BabsOffline
Post subject: Please pay and register  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:22 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Just a reminder that if you have not done so already (and you don't have a certificate for free entry) that you need to pay and register to the Canberra Games society at:
http://www.cgs.asn.au/cgs_framework.asp?type=cancon

Current registrations at this point are few. However that is normal. Which is shame - please get organised and register!

Washed up old has been.

BeefyGoodnessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 - 01:12 AM

Well you're right OZ but I don't think that I could do it all over again at MOAB and still win, I think I was just lucky. The problem with using (and abusing) the star players in a tourney is balance, under the proposed rules certain teams have a distinct advantage in the star player stakes depending on where you use them...for the undead its definitely in buying the count first up.... either that or 3 extra rerolls over the course of the tourney, they've got nothing and no-one else to add. Take orcs for an example of the opposite... under the current rules they benefit the most from having a wide variety of cheaper stars to lay their hands on....
Anyway what I really wanted to do was either lose with the same starting team as MOAB or see someone else try it and measure their success. But I think the most responsible course of action is to just pick a team and play it Wink (thanks oz).

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 - 05:44 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I must say I've got my reservations about the changes to the rules. I don't like Star Players but I have a nasty suspicion the rules (and Beefy's success at MOAB) will encourage people to start with them - meaning more games being dominated by Griff et al.

However I really don't like changing the cost of zombies and skeletons to basically patch a flawed rule. That sort of "fixing" is a piece of string that you just keep tugging at to try and achieve "perfect" balance - all the time moving further and further away from the game we all know.

Last edited by Doubleskulls on Jan 05, 2006 - 04:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

OZjestingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Aye...and since Babs asked how others might have dealt with it...I would have just let it stand. Once you make the decision to allow stars then I think we have to trust the system as it is currently. If indeed these tournys throw up winners thanks to stars then perhaps the issue should be presented to the BBRC for concern. But I gather that what all the PBBL stuff is about anyway.

And I was stirring you beefy Wink Do what you want...I thnk a shot at MOAB re-run is a good idea...as that is what I have been trying for 2 years now Wink

On another note...am I just not seeing it Babs? I have been all over the CanCon site and as far as I can tell there is no way to register online. You can pay direct debit I see...but you still have to snail mail the form. How last century is THAT!

/me is off to find a stamp.

trogduOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Babs, Todd & I only mailed our entries in last week so there should be 2 more being added to your list sometime this week. Of course if cancon had any form of proper online entry available they'd already be there Wink

Tommy, using a Star Player when you don't believe they should be allowed could be seen as a form of protest - you know along the lines of proving how wrong it is or some such. At any rate despite agreeing with the no stars allowed sentiment, if the ruleset allows them to be permanently purchased I'm certainly going to go with Prince Moron (as I call him Smile ) for my Pro Elf team, For, no matter what Rabid might think of him, he fills a rather large hole in their capabillities.

frecklesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Australia

HIguys,

Just a quick one to let you know that Iwon't be attending Cancon this year. Hope you all have a great time, and I hope to see many of you at Leviathan in April! Smile

Cheers!

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2006 - 01:06 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Is this true of Abigwood as well, or just you Freckles?

Washed up old has been.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic