NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 09:05 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Who remembers Dirty Player? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2006 - 08:28 PM

Undisclosed
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
As far as I can remember the Vamp Lord was

6 movement, 5 strength, 4 agility, & 8 armour, not sure what his skills were, but he did not suffer from off for a bite like the other vamps did.

to me 5 strength, 4 agility player blows away a Wardancer (not even in the same book)

Rod

Well lets just put it this way...the WEs can have 2 WarDancers that can skill-up and become effectively better than the 50% more expensive single player who is "capped". Let's not forget that mith MA 8 they can cover alot more ground than the Vamp...play solid positional defense and you can minimize his production. Stop him entirely, no...marganilize him yes....then what to the rest of the bleeding thralls do?

NAF Member #5236
---

Reply with quote Back to top
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

6 movement, 5 strength, 4 agility, & 8 armour, not sure what his skills were, but he did not suffer from off for a bite like the other vamps did.

to me 5 strength, 4 agility player blows away a Wardancer (not even in the same book)

Rod

Well lets just put it this way...the WEs can have 2 WarDancers that can skill-up and become effectively better than the 50% more expensive single player who is "capped". Let's not forget that mith MA 8 they can cover alot more ground than the Vamp...play solid positional defense and you can minimize his production. Stop him entirely, no...marganilize him yes....then what to the rest of the bleeding thralls do?

Man your starting to sound like an opponent I had at a tourney who whined by saying that Gutter Runners are wrong because they should only be 8 MA from 2nd. Eddition convertated to 3rd eddittion.... C'mon Rob don't put yerself in his class yer better than that.

Wooden Spoons or not or above that man!

Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Rod

But the original Lord wasn't capped, he could happily earn SPP like any other player.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Undisclosed
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Man your starting to sound like an opponent I had at a tourney who whined by saying that Gutter Runners are wrong because they should only be 8 MA from 2nd. Eddition convertated to 3rd eddittion.... C'mon Rob don't put yerself in his class yer better than that.

Wooden Spoons or not or above that man!

Rod.

Rod-
You should stick with the "Late Night Drunken Poster" style...it really suits you better than the "Pompus, I think I know something because I won the Special Olympics of Blood Bowl Tournies" style. The latter doesn't really suit you. Smile

To use your example, Gutter Runners are sweet...there are four of them...and the Skaven are competitive with them. Imagine the team without them and you would likely have a team as nerfed as the Vamp team. Imagine then complaining about the removal of the Gutter Runners from the Skaven roster and having someone respond with something like..."Oh come on man...they're rats...should they really be a competitive team? Just have fun with the Wacky RatOgre. Grrr....shouldn't that be enough? Just play with Orcs if you really just want to win. Oh, and buy the way...we are increasing the prices of the Blitzers and Black Orcs to 500,000 GC because this game is about the linemen."

The Vampire Lord was this teams one reliable player and was a target. Given the fact that they have changed the way that OFAB works, that is enough of a nerf to that team...but I'm sure somone will reference some scribbling of fluff in some obscure Citadel Journal that explains why a given team SHOULD lose more often than other...anywayit's just my opinion.

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Undisclosed
      Darkson wrote:

But the original Lord wasn't capped, he could happily earn SPP like any other player.

You're right...but didn't they grow at the slower "big guy" rate?

NAF Member #5236
---

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2006 - 07:51 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Rob I'm not being pompos, but honestly man the Vamp Lord was broken!

Comeone how can you compare 2 Wardancers to one Vamp Lord?

IMO Wardancers are not the tuff to deal with (with the help of Tackle that is), & everyone knows once they are on the ground that the Wardancer becomes huge FOULbate!

Wardancers still only have an AV of 7 & very expencive to replace.... (I love fouling the Wardancer they are right up there with Mummies , Bull Centaurs , & any Big Guy)

Wardancers are by far one of the best if not the best rookie player, but with only 7 AV & a huge cost they are not broken

The Vamp Lord on the other hand 5 strength, 4 agi with no negative traights is not broken? (WHAT???)

& the rest of the team had OFB sure , but still 4 strength 4 agility so much made up for it!.

IMO opinion Wardancer is not even close to the Vamp Lord, but thats just my opinion...

(I'm not drunk Laughing )

Rod.

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Undisclosed
      Clan-Skaven wrote:
Rob I'm not being pompos, but honestly man the Vamp Lord was broken!

Comeone how can you compare 2 Wardancers to one Vamp Lord?

IMO Wardancers are not the tuff to deal with (with the help of Tackle that is), & everyone knows once they are on the ground that the Wardancer becomes huge FOULbate!

Wardancers still only have an AV of 7 & very expencive to replace.... (I love fouling the Wardancer they are right up there with Mummies , Bull Centaurs , & any Big Guy)

Wardancers are by far one of the best if not the best rookie player, but with only 7 AV & a huge cost they are not broken

The Vamp Lord on the other hand 5 strength, 4 agi with no negative traights is not broken? (WHAT???)

& the rest of the team had OFB sure , but still 4 strength 4 agility so much made up for it!.

IMO opinion Wardancer is not even close to the Vamp Lord, but thats just my opinion...

(I'm not drunk Laughing )

Rod.

That was better, tone-wise, but I am saying that each positional should be compared in the context of the team...not just one-to-one. Comparing The Vamp Lord directly to a Wardancer? Sure the VL blows him away...but in the context of what each means to the team and the value on the team they are close. The Vamps have multiple players on their team that can ravage their own team...and the rest are just fodder. Given that the large majority of opponent blocks are going to be against the Thralls...that AV 7 is not built to last.

The Woodies have the speed and agility to play keep away if/when they need to and still have the ability to score when they are down players. The vamps have none of that.

In terms of fouling a WD...the same can be said for the Vampire Lord...the extra 2 AV are not as big a deal as you think...you will need those assists to get him down in the first place so they will be in place for the follow-up foul. And he will get fouled evey time he is on the turf...and is alot more expensive to replace.

Finally, as Rune_Master asked earlier...if he was found to be unbalanced...why not tweak him to make him work...instead of eliminating him altogether? Even if he acted in the same way as a Big Guy and provided a detterent/distraction from pulping the thralls...he would be worth the cost.

Rod...this all comes down to maintaining them as a fluff team. Therefore any conversation we have in terms of what would or might work is moot since it'll fall on deaf ears.

P.S. Why aren't Treemen broken? Given that they are the strongest rookies in the game with a neg-trate that keeps them on the pitch and available to perform what is arguably their primary role. (In the offense) Its because the Flings are otherwise defenseless...the context of the team is what keeps the fact that you can have two of these guys from being broken.

NAF Member #5236
---

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Saying the Vamp Lord was too powerful as it previously existed is fine, can't really argue that one. But does removing him as an option leave the Vamp team as a viable team? I'm thinking no, as it seems everyone believes they are far too hard to win with. Esp. in tournaments as evident by the whopping 2 coaches (US/Canada) with a ranking using Vamps. I just believe that having a tweaked Lord makes them a more viable team.

two cents...

(ok, ok, so I'm up to four cents now... Rolling Eyes )

"Ho! stand to your flagons steady!
'Tis all we have left to prize.
A drink to the dead already,--
Hurrah for the next that dies."
- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 11:27 AM

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Darkson wrote:

There was no "slower big guy rate" when the Vampire Lord was on the Vampire team (2003 or there abouts).

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Undisclosed
      Rune_Master wrote:
Saying the Vamp Lord was too powerful as it previously existed is fine, can't really argue that one. But does removing him as an option leave the Vamp team as a viable team? I'm thinking no, as it seems everyone believes they are far too hard to win with. Esp. in tournaments as evident by the whopping 2 coaches (US/Canada) with a ranking using Vamps. I just believe that having a tweaked Lord makes them a more viable team.

Now you're treading on dangerous ground.
The Vampire team works fine for the enviorment it was designed for, Leagues. The team is meant to suck (sorry, pun intended), and to be as bad as the Halflings and Goblins, and before the removal of the Vampire Lord, it failed to do that. Remove the Lord, and it's right where it's meant to be, at the bottom. The only way a Lord character should be allowed back on the Vamp team was if it had a WORSE negatrait than te normal Vamps, in the same way a BG has a worse than his teammates (as in he has one).

Now, this does mean that unfortunately, Vampires aren't really a viable tournament team, certainly not for a player with any hope of winning whatever tourney they go to (the same could be leveled at Chaos). The only option then would be to make a set of rosters (and rules) that are specifically aimed at tournaments only. But that's missing the point. Why do people turn up at tornaments with Goblins and Halflings? They (normally) realise they've little chance of winning any awards, other than the wooden spoon, and yet they still show up.

Perhaps people need to stop focussing on winning so much, and just go for the social atmosphere. Personally, if I can ever get the bug to do some painting, I'm going to take a goblin team as a years tourney team. I'm at best an average coach, so to hell with those whisperings in my ear that I might just win it, let's go for a laugh.

Bottom line, if you want to play a competative team, don't take Vampires. If you want to take a Vampire team, don't complain because it's not competative.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Undisclosed
      Darkson wrote:
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Darkson wrote:

There was no "slower big guy rate" when the Vampire Lord was on the Vampire team (2003 or there abouts).

I think you're wrong about this...I'll have to pull my cr@p out tonight to confirm for myself. Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Undisclosed
      Darkson wrote:

Bottom line, if you want to play a competative team, don't take Vampires. If you want to take a Vampire team, don't complain because it's not competative.

Sorry but I just don't get this...the INSISTANCE that fluff has to make one team intrinsically better than another. Why not make all teams balanced and let the fluff define the strengths and weaknesses of each team and determine what they have available to them? To me this would be a better approach then purposely breaking teams as a patch for game design problems.

And for whatever it's worth...I suck, so this my point is not coming from a place where I MUST win...it's just the principle of the thing. I'll play the game regardless 'cause the concept is fun...but the idea (Jervis's or whoever) to design only 5-6 teams as "competitive" and the rest as "jokes" is silly.

NAF Member #5236
---

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
but the idea (Jervis's or whoever) to design only 5-6 teams as "competitive" and the rest as "jokes" is silly.

Well, it's actually 3 or 4 as "jokes" and the rest competative.

I've no problem with that.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 01:36 PM

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Darkson wrote:
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      Darkson wrote:

I think you're wrong about this...I'll have to pull my cr@p out tonight to confirm for myself. Smile

BB Annual 2003 p.12, so that's about LRB 2 or 3.
By this time (in fact, LRB 1) there was no difference to the rate that BGs earnt SPP compared to normal players.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Canada
      Darkson wrote:
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
but the idea (Jervis's or whoever) to design only 5-6 teams as "competitive" and the rest as "jokes" is silly.

Well, it's actually 3 or 4 as "jokes" and the rest competative.

I've no problem with that.

Actually I kindof like this in a way as it can allow you to give yourself a "handicap". This mightbe because you want the extra challenge, or maybe you are playing against someone who is learning the rules and while you don't want to throw the game in their favour, you do want them to have a fighting chance.

But if you look at it from a fluff standpoint or whatever, what reason should the halflings have to be anywhere near as competitive as the other teams? Or goblins for that matter?

Sure, vampires could be a more competitive team, but they're not. It just makes the victories more sweet when you do win with them! Very Happy (Not to mention the fact that it is easier to be #1 in your country when there are only a couple of coaches - if any - who play the sucky teams! Just ask the #1 Nurgle's Rotters coach in Canada!) Wink

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic