NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 11:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Champions of Death to open bar. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hoxworthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 - 10:54 PM

Ooh, skummy, where in northern VA? I'm going to be moving to the north D.C. area in just a few weeks (Columbia), and was wondering if there were any leagues around there... with the U.S. GW headquarters being so near, you'd think there'd be SOMETHING, but the Games Workshop store in the Arundel Mills mall barely carried any Blood Bowl stuff.

Reply with quote Back to top
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 - 05:56 PM

Undisclosed
Hey, Todfatha, Mos, et al:
Has anyone made arrangements to have this tournament sanctioned? I realize that not a lot of players have signed up yet, but someone should let Gregg know and get the games and tourney NAF-approved.
I know, I"LL DO IT! Wink

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 - 08:53 PM

Hox_ii wrote:
Ooh, skummy, where in northern VA? I'm going to be moving to the north D.C. area in just a few weeks (Columbia), and was wondering if there were any leagues around there... with the U.S. GW headquarters being so near, you'd think there'd be SOMETHING, but the Games Workshop store in the Arundel Mills mall barely carried any Blood Bowl stuff.

Whoa, Hox_ii sorry it took me so long to see this post. The league is nominally centered in Arlington, inside the beltway. We do have at least one coach up in your area, and we're always looking for new players. Unfortunately, it's very likely I'll be moving to Washington state in the near future, but I'll probably be back in the next six months. If you'd like to get a good idea about what our league is like, you can check out our Yahoo! group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FNBBL/ and ask our moderator (Aristodeimos) to make you a member. Drop my name and I'm sure he'll sign you up.

Our league runs a two tiered system in which players can coach three teams at a time. We have 4 major tournaments a year, and only one of your teams can compete in these scheduled games. Your other teams are in the minor leagues, and can play a game against whatever minor league team they can talk into a game. New coaches generally leave their teams in the minor leagues and build up strength before challenging the bigger teams in the majors.

Big teams that get whupped up on badly go back to the minors to recuperate. It's an interesting system, but works only becasue we have a very active league.

-Oscar Wilde

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 07:51 AM

Did anyone recieve a rules packet for this tournament?

So far all I know is that we have a 1,000,000 GPS team and that SPPs carry over.

I signed up several weeks ago but never got a packet.

Do injuries carry over? Do we earn Gold for new purchases?

It would be much easier to plan with this info.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 11:57 AM

Undisclosed
All I've received is the Gamesday pass - nothing else. I can't remember where I saw it but I was thinking that injuries carried and gold was earned. Time to PM the "Hivemind" . . . Wink

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 12:41 PM

I just looked at http://www.games-workshop.com/news/us/events/GamesDay2003/Tournaments/Tournaments.htm

All it says is
      Quote:
- You must register in advance to play.
- Players must bring a 1,000,000-crown team. The same team will be used for all of the games in the tournament. Star player points and new skills will be carried over from game to game.
- Maximum of 24 players.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 01:03 PM

I have to warn you that at the GT in Baltimore, they didn't assign a staffer to run the tournament until 10 minutes before it started. It was run as a swiss league, where money was rolled and casualties stuck. If you can't get an answer from the organizers, I'd highly suggest that you show up with multiple rosters for contingency purposes.

I'm just sorry I can't make it...

-Oscar Wilde

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 01:57 PM

I just talked to a GW Mail Order guy and he basically said that it worked like Skummy just said.

He didn't sound completely sure but he was just grabbing at straws either.

I guess I'll plan for multiple scenarios.

Here's another question. Any idea how Star Players will work? I'm guessing that we will be freebooting them outright.

There are just so many questions.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, outright freebooting is the way they work.

-Oscar Wilde

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 02:56 PM

Undisclosed
Jay et al: I just got a reply from Tim Huckelbery from GW. He is passing along our lists of questions to those in charge of running the tourney and they should send something to me by Monday. They also should be posting more information to the BB page on the GW site.

I know it's cutting it close, especially if one has some serious painting to do! Wink Anyway, wanted to pass this along . . . Smile

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2003 - 02:58 PM

Undisclosed
Also, I haven't heard back from Gregg whether this tourney is approved for NAF rankings - if anyone has info about that, please post here.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 05:14 PM

Undisclosed
OK - no luck in getting a determination from anyone about the specifics (injury carry over, gold, etc.) that will be used this weekend in Baltimore, and never heard back from Gregg G. about this tourney being sanctioned as counting towards NAF rankings. Sad I know there are not many signed up for this weekend but there is certainly a need for more complete and consistent tourney rulesets, otherwise rankings are virtually meaningless, let alone a player's ability to plan and prep for a tourney, IMHO.

Don't mean to loudly gripe, but surely we can do better than this . . . Wink

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2003 - 09:18 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
Don't mean to loudly gripe, but surely we can do better than this . . . Wink

A tournament is only as good as the man or team organizing it.

GW just saying ... oh a Games Day Event ... better have a tournament does not equal a good event.

OMM ... since you are going to so many tournaments this year in the US ... could you keep notes about the format, number of players, and the vibe from the crowd about how the tournament was perceived ... (ie did they like the format and have fun) ... also your personal take on the organization, fun level of the tournament, etc. would be very valuable to putting some stuff together.

I'm thinking about opening a tournament section on blood-bowl.net to host a list of standard tournament formats and rules that are well received ... I know that this site has some of that, but b-b.net is more hit and free so maybe we can help the masses get a little better clue.

But your input from seeing several would be very cool, OMM.

Tom

Da_TodfathaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2003 - 04:06 PM

Well it's over, and OLD MAN MONKEY won the tournament. Congrats Jim! You've set a precident that you better defend your title at GENCON! Wink

It was a pleasure meeting those of you that I did in fact meet.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed that the tournament wasn't better run, though I do not fault the GW Staffer that got stuck with this duty, he seemed to run the event as an Intro game trying to over do it IMO, with the enthusiasm. He also had to play his goblin team as a fill-in opponent for someone that did not show.

The points could have been better explained as well as the starting time.
I showed up at 2 and the BB tourney had started at 12, so my opponent Rozman and I played a game in one hour flat pregame-postgame. It must have been posted somewhere, but I hadn't seen it. Embarassed

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2003 - 05:45 PM
Former President

England
Missed this thread for a while, just caught up.
Out of interest, how many NAF were there?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic