NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 05:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Gentleman, start your chainsaws. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Canada
I had great time!

It was my first time at Gencon and i think Tom ran a great tourney!

I was Glad to see such a large turn out.

As fun as the tourney was, i had even more fun socializing with all the great coaches. You guys are what make the game that much more fun and worth the drive from Toronto.

I had a great time with my roomates who for a couple of them was the first time i met and just thought they were a great group of guys.

And i want to mostly thank my pinky buddy Ken. Thanks for looking out for me, much appreciated.

To top off the great tourney we had a great Dethbowl match on Saturday which included myself, Ken, Rob, and Jay with Joe being the guy to roll for scattering the ball whenever neccessary. Congrats to Rob for winning it and taking home the poker chip as a great prize...oh and Ken your a jerk.

Hope to see you all at the Deathbowl for some more memorable times.

DEATHBOWL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Reply with quote Back to top
SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 11:10 AM

It was a great tourney. Thanks Tom for running it.

More table space would have been nice. Is there an email address we can write to voice our opinion on not having enough table space. (I know we managed, but packing it in so tight was uncomfortable.)

My one complaint is this: Since all of my opponents were cool, it didn't seem right to give anyone a 3, 4, or 5 for sportsmanship. Next year, can sportsmanship change, so that we can give 3-5 average scores with an optional "really cool" and an optional "really not cool" slot--for those times when it is merited.

Thanks to all of my opponents and another thanks to Tom.

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 11:26 AM

gken1 wrote:
It was fun to see the TBB crowd though: Galak, Lawquoter, Darthnoir, Torg, Ben, Cyberhare, Karllagerbottom, Jaylazer, OMM, xtreme-----always makes the tournies fun.

I tell ya, I give up my spot in the bed for ya and get forgotten.. sheesh Razz

Yeah Torg, I don't really post often, but I'm here Wink

I was great to see everyone (even Ken) and it was nice to add to the circel of friends with Ben & Torg. This was one great trip (despite lack of sleep) and I had a blast at the tourney (even with the 1-4 record) and just hanging out playing Sabatour and the like.

Lawquoter, did you ever manage to finish all that beer??

Ben, you forgot to take the Sabatour game, do you want me to mail it to you?????

See y'all next year - hope Snots and Mrinprophet make it as well, they were missed!!!

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 11:55 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

SolarFlare wrote:
My one complaint is this: Since all of my opponents were cool, it didn't seem right to give anyone a 3, 4, or 5 for sportsmanship.
JJ and I discussed this ... the bottom line is that there is no good way I've ever seen to do sportsmanship that accomplish two different things at once.

a) Gives you an accurate representation of how sporting each player was.
b) Removes as much risk as possible of too many points being gained/lost to player's delibrately marking an opponent inaccurately (to get them to win or to lose).

The GenCon method is the best I've found to hit both. Since Sportsmanship is only used for 2 of the trophies ... its impact is not overwhelming. So yeah ... its sucks to give someone who wasn't that bad a 5, but then the system is built so that one 5 most likely won't cost him the tournament. The lowest score is half as well as the highest score (and then rounded up) ... so in effect the lowest score a player receives at MOST will cost them 6 points vs someone who gets all best ratings.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Aug 22, 2005 - 11:56 AM; edited 1 time in total

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 11:55 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Final results are now up for 2005.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/GenCon.html

Galak

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Did I actually get 50 points for Sportsmanship???

Thanks for getting the stats up so quickly!!!

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:30 PM

United States of America
ok......VAL gets his own post Smile great hangin with you......

I'm sure I forgot other people too.....

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:35 PM

But no one nearly as important Wink

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:35 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Justin_Kase wrote:
Did I actually get 50 points for Sportsmanship???

Yeah ... actually Val I owe you a prize for that. We didn't give overlapping trophy awards so since you won Most CAS that meant Marcus's 49 points gave him Best Sportsman.

Next year I'll have a rule that what order trophies will be determined in and that winning a trophy means your results are not eligible for the next in line ... BUT I didn't do that this year and it was my oversight that I forgot to mention your 50 points ... which is my bad.

So I owe you some a pack of mins. I'll PM you and work out what you'd like to have.

Also ... your sportsmanship score was fascinating.

4 1st places and 1 5th:
(14/2)+(14*3)+(2/1)=50 points

I honestly cannot tell from the sheet of the player who gave you a 5th if he was giving you a 5th or got confused and thought he was awarding points (in which case 5 points would be the best). (please note everyone that it says on the bottom of the score sheet that 1 is best and 5 is worst) ... anyway ... yeah you had 50 points.

Galak

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:41 PM

Could also be that one guy really really didn't enjoy playing me - but I like the optimism that he may have intended to do just the opposite Wink

No problem, it was just a shocker to me as I didn't realize I had been that high..

I'd love some of the other Chaos All Star minis - if that is possible. If not, no worries Smile

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 12:45 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Justin_Kase wrote:
I've been so slammed by stuff as of late ... I knew if I didn't get these results posted that it would be a year before I did.

Case in point ... I finally posted the 2003 and 2004 results when I posted the 2005 results ... Laughing

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 02:21 PM

United States of America
      Ben wrote:
To top off the great tourney we had a great Dethbowl match on Saturday which included myself, Ken, Rob, and Jay with Joe being the guy to roll for scattering the ball whenever neccessary. Congrats to Rob for winning it and taking home the poker chip as a great prize...oh and Ken your a jerk.

Hope to see you all at the Deathbowl for some more memorable times.

DEATHBOWL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

this was my most fun game of the con Smile

Sorry Ben......don't like getting scored on Smile

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 02:33 PM

gken1 wrote:
Sorry Ben......don't like getting scored on Smile

That's not what I heard, you and Joe sharing a bed Sat night, maybe Ben joined in, who knows (I'm guessing no one wants to know). Wink Razz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 03:24 PM

Undisclosed
Thanks to Tom for an awesome tournament...I had a blast.
I know that it must sound cliche by now, but it was great seeing you guys again. Not to mention all the new people that I met and got to hear me whine about my dice. (Please note that I was tied for lowest sportsmanship among those coaches that played all five games. Am I really that bad? Wink )

I would have loved to get in a few more friendly games in, but as Ben mentioned above we did have a chance to play a DeathBowl match with four Skaven teams. Win or lose this was the single best game of the weekend...and I am looking forward to the Death Bowl 3 in Montreal. For anyone who has never tried this BloodBowl variant...I strongly recommend it. If it sounds great on paper...you have no idea until you take the pitch!

Thanks again everyone...look forward to seeing you in October!

-Rob

---

P.S. Now with a bit of practical DeathBowl experience under my belt, I can say with absolute certainty that Halflings will NOT be making the trip accross the border.

P.P.S. Another Thanks to Tom for recovering my Dice Cup...I think some Galak magic must have rubbed off on it. I used it that night in our little SewerBowl match..I think that those who were there to witness the game can attest to the impact that it had on the game. Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 06:17 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Another great GenCon. Thanks Galak for all the work you put into it, it definatly shows. Worship

Great seeing everyone again, hope even more of you can make it out next year.

After playing Val I was very happy to see him get most CAS, even late in the game when I was telling him to foul he still wouldn't.

One thing about the sportsmanship points Tom. Marcus and I agreed that there needs to be a more discreet way of doing it for those people who want to rank the last person they played as their worst. Confused

Thanks to everyone that voting for my team in painting.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic