NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 29, 2024 - 08:56 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
NAF President in expenses scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 06:51 PM
Former President

England
We don't decide these things on an arbitary basis. There are many tournaments in Europe for example that dwarf the Dungeonbowl, there are better structured than the Blood Bowl. It's not about what's biggest or best, neither is it about ego or 'feathers in caps', what deserves a certain status or what doesn't. The NAF is (and always has been) as much about growing and promoting the game as it is about serving the dedicated (present) hard core. Look at the big picture. Combining the Spike! with Games Day Canada does give a great opportunity to reach a whole new group of people, spark interest and can only be good for the health of the game in Canada in the future.

I appreciate that it's not an ideal situation. It's true that GW are not easy bedfellows sometimes (and the vast majority will never know just how aware of that (and currently embroiled with local issues) I actually am). It's the nature of the multinational (sometimes less than competently staffed) GW beast, simple as that.

You guys want a discussion on the merits of 'The Majors' and how they should be designated? Death Bowl deserves it and Spike! doesn't? Fine by me, start a seperate thread.

For the purposes of this thread however:

CanCon carries equivalent k-value to a Major (in an effort to try and address ranking issues for the Australians who simply can't easily travel to a major).

The Majors are The Spike, The Chaos Cup, The Dungeonbowl and the Blood Bowl.

Period.

Reply with quote Back to top
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Canada
Thats all fair with me Deathwing,

Having to deal with GW is no fun for anyone, GW Canada is particularally bad in my opinion (granted, I've never delt with any of the others) and I guess most of us here would like to see the major tournament (be it the Spike or whatever) taken from their control.

So this means that the upcoming Spike does have NAF sanctioning or whatever for it to count for our rankings. I know that will probably bring a few more people out from the TBBF to the tournament.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Canada
I've got a question about tickets for Baraccus.

Do you need to get your ticket in advance? Or can I just show up on Friday with $30 and get to play?

Thanks

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Canada
      Deathwing wrote:

Period.

So what exactly are you trying to say? Wink

I understand what you are saying Woody, and while it does not have to necessarily be the biggest or the best, or as you put it "the feather in your cap", I do feel that the major tournaments should have special attention to ensure that they are run properly.

First step, remove GW's influence...... Evil or Very Mad

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 09:10 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Spazzfist wrote:

I understand what you are saying Woody, and while it does not have to necessarily be the biggest or the best, or as you put it "the feather in your cap", I do feel that the major tournaments should have special attention to ensure that they are run properly.
First step, remove GW's influence...... Evil or Very Mad

I would agree with you though that should really be taken up in a seperate thread. I urge you or someone else from this thread to start one, and hopefully find someway for the NAF to get some control of the majors away from GW. The Poll numbers on the front page make it look like most of the people here agree it needs to be done.

As for the Spike I wish you all the best of luck. I can't help but wonder how much of a nitemare this would have been if this thread wasn't dug up last week. There is plenty of Blame to go around, but why don't we all suck it up and work to get this thing fixed as much as we can. I think Rods idea of having a seperate trophy for the second day is a great one, but why not take it a step further. Instead of having 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. You could have 1st day winner, 2nd day winner, and Grand Champion.

The MOBB guys really need to get this tourney listed on the NAF site ASAP though so DW can get is offical.

To all those that go I really hope you show up with a good attitude and try to have fun. This has been a mess but there is no reason it can't still be a fun weekend (or one day) of Bloodbowl for everyone.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Gee Xtreme I think you missed your calling.... You should run for Politics.

Rod. Laughing

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 11:22 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Nah, my political ideas are a bit 'Xtreme'. Wink

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2006 - 11:33 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Xtreme wrote:
Nah, my political ideas are a bit 'Xtreme'. Wink

LOL That could be your slogan!

Rod

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 01:59 AM

While I have been contacted recently by someone involved in running the event, there is still no tourny entry Deathwing or I could approve. And I am pretty sure the people organising it are aware of the situation with regard to the NAF approval. Crying or Very sad

I don't know about the organising details of this event, but I believe if so many of you care about this tourney, someone could step up and deal with it instead of posting about it only. Crying or Very sad

The people I contacted so far unfortunately won't be at the event, and from my desk I can hardly do more than watch the situation develop.

So, any volunteers?

Sputnik

skaven27Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 05:21 AM

Canada
i like xtreme's solution champ fo day 1 and a champ for day 2... then the to champs play 1 game with winner takes all

now if the majors are bloodowl,dungeonbowl,chaos cup,and the spike which are all part of the founders game (all mentioned in the lrb1-4) which bring a background to the game, and gw owns the right of bb the logical thing in my point of view is that they get to say what goes on in and at thier touneys.....

and if people don't like what they say or do, then don't participate in anyway, shape or form....

that's why hundreds of other people form thier own tounament and no tournaments are the same....

deathbowl is deathbowl, not the carnage in the capital

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Canada
Baccus,

Is that going to be cool with you if Rod and I share a team for the tourney - I play on day one and he plays one day two?

LMK

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 06:52 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
Baccus,

Is that going to be cool with you if Rod and I share a team for the tourney - I play on day one and he plays one day two?

LMK

Spazz

Thing is we still don't know if it is going to be NAF, & what type of format is going to be used. Honestly I doubt I'll be going, I don't see the logic & it looks as if it is not IMO going to run smoothly. I'd just rather not be apart of it all together. Ya know I said we combine the other night but I was completley hammered.

Rod.

skaven27Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 07:19 AM

Canada
all the details will be clear on may 26 or 27 at 8am

i'm going just to try out my chaos team for deathbowl cause i would like to win the most casualties trophy

Kolja_TBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Deathwing wrote:
For the purposes of this thread however:

Period.

I must say this artibitrary set of 4 makes little sense - It is just a name. The Spike! hasn't always been run and is just up for grabs. This year MOBB is running it and, unfortunately, it is a mess for various reasons (GW and MOBB).
It is going to have about 10 people attending.

And it sounds like MOBB wants to break the Spike! away from GW next year. Will it still be a major? If some guys just call their tourney the Spike! without GW affiliation? What if the people who run the Canadian Open want to call theirs the Spike! also? It's just a name...

NAF is independent. You guys can determine what you want to be Majors. Do you really think GW cares which are majors here in Canada? Or would even notice? As it stands, the Spike! isn't entered as a NAF tourney. Does GW care about that? They don't know nor care.

This lessens the contribution of all those who manage to run fantastic tourneys and those who run tourneys that are real major events in BBowl, not artificially 'major'.

You fellas run NAF. So run it as advocates for the stake-holders - the BBowl players.

My 2 cents.

BTW, Baccus - too bad the tourney has fallen apart - GW does that here in Canada. I can't take Friday off and won't attend a 1/2 a tourney on Gamesday. Especially since my absolute worst (and only bad) BB tourney experience was at a Canadian Gamesday a few years ago.

Kolja

skaven27Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Canada
kolja quote:

I must say this artibitrary set of 4 makes little sense - It is just a name. The Spike! hasn't always been run and is just up for grabs. This year MOBB is running it and, unfortunately, it is a mess for various reasons (GW and MOBB).
It is going to have about 10 people attending.

yeah 5 peopleshowing friday only and 5 people showing saturday

i say let gw do thing thier way since it is thier's

if or when it flops it will be thier fault

gw fault is getting to many hand into organizing and running the tournament

what they should have done is have gamesday on sunday and make the spike a 2 day tourney with the first on a saturday so that it appeals to every bb player...

i think baccuus knowing that gamesday is on a saturday and the spike for gw was going to be a 1 day thing should've stay out of that disaster....

sorry baccuus but you step into the fire with gw in this one

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic