NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 25, 2024 - 11:31 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Double skulls.. and no re-roll rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
runki_khrumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Canada
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
Amsterdam and Vegas in a month? Look at the big baller living the big life.

As you young whipper snappers often remind me, I better use well what time I have left. Haha!

Rats gone wild! (.)(.)

Reply with quote Back to top
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 02:03 AM

United States of America
I think I have found a convention cordinator [sp] Rich (the fuy that wond the Quake) his wife use to do that stuff full time. I asked him to ask her if she is willing to help as she speaks the language

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Canada
@runki: Haha, true. But just remind him, if you spend it all, there won't be any for him.

@daloonie: Very cool, any help would be welcome. And someone who has done it full time will know things that other people don't, so we won't get caught off guard.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 11:43 AM

United States of America
      daloonieshaman wrote:
I think I have found a convention cordinator [sp] Rich (the fuy that wond the Quake) his wife use to do that stuff full time. I asked him to ask her if she is willing to help as she speaks the language

Careful Dennis, all these typos will make people think you really are loony.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 02:35 PM

United States of America
g-dub wuz hear.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2011 - 06:47 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      Lizardcore wrote:
By curiosity, are you opening the registration to everybody or just north americans ?

NATC is open to everybody from anywhere so long as they and a few friends are willing to make the trip out. Very Happy

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2012 - 06:43 PM

United States of America
GJ,
Who decides on the rules set? The event runners? The NAF TO? (What ever his name is, the VERY incomplete staff list is no longer in the library) Notorious? You?Me?Three random people off the streets?

and when is that rules set public?
now would be a good time if anyone other than the event organizer is making that choice.

Does the EO have the power to make a kickoff table, eliminate it all together, or are we stuck with it as is despite the other game rules eliminations
(hmmm really)
(No ip, no timer, most if not all the inducements, granted skills but with limitations)

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Canada
Rules set independant of event runners. Probably similar rules to the World Cup II.

There will be no "new" kick off table permitted.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 12:06 PM

United States of America
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
Rules set independant of event runners. Probably similar rules to the World Cup II.

There will be no "new" kick off table permitted.

If you eliminated things at a whim for simplicity and add things at a whim for flavor (all in the interest of the game of course) What do you really need a kickoff table for?

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 12:30 PM

daloonieshaman wrote:
If you eliminated things at a whim for simplicity and add things at a whim for flavor (all in the interest of the game of course) What do you really need a kickoff table for?

I guess it's a bloodbowl tournament, therefore they a re planning to use the bloodbowl rules, especially the ones that have been proven to work well in this kind of tournaments Wink

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 12:42 PM

Canada
      Lizardcore wrote:
      daloonieshaman wrote:

I guess it's a bloodbowl tournament, therefore they a re planning to use the bloodbowl rules, especially the ones that have been proven to work well in this kind of tournaments Wink

+1

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 12:43 PM

United States of America
      Lizardcore wrote:
      daloonieshaman wrote:

I am not a numbers guy Liz, so I count not tell you either way. Do tournaments finish, yes. Do people have a good time, yes. Do all of the rules changes work? don't know I am not a numbers guy.

For the record we did have to pound on Lucy to give the HMC to the Halflings and the Bribe to the Gobbos for WCII. So yes I would say that every addition and subtraction has its effects

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 12:51 PM

daloonieshaman wrote:
For the record we did have to pound on Lucy to give the HMC to the Halflings and the Bribe to the Gobbos for WCII. So yes I would say that every addition and subtraction has its effects

Good point, sorry I didnt understood you wee talking about that. I don't remember what was the final decision for the WCII regarding those examples ? But those are definitely worth considering.

As you are pretty active, I guess you could start a list of options for the NAC rules:

- team creation (includes rosters / halfling MC / gobos bribes)
- team creation (4 coaches, limitations on the roster selections ? )
- skill progression during the tournament
- individual / team scoring system

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 01:38 PM

United States of America
I am not so sure limitations on the roster selection for the four teams should be there.
Yes it promotes diversity
But do you want to not play your Dwarves because Dave wants to play his? do we want to go down that road.
Yes that is the way it was done before it does not make it right or maybe is or is not a fit for North America.

Team creation: 1 mil, 1.1, 1.25 they all offer different levels of fun.
as far as inducements why eliminate any? (well maybe cards as some people find it bothersome). The argument for the wiz is petty as my snotling can just as well bop on your head and send you out. (yea and how many times you you rolled a 1 on an important GFI at least you get to reroll that) Other than the HMC/B you can make a circular argument for any inducement if a person wants to spend his $$$ that way.

(s)Kill progression. not my favorite
Think about it
You play 8-9 different opponents. your game 1 cannot be compared equally to your game 9 as you have different skill sets. Yet your team resurrected. So to give it that "league feel" of skill gaining (WHICH YOU PICK) none of your guys get negs. no MNG, no -1AV. Kinda like having a hamburger with no meat.

Options:
Give Skill package
Buy skills from start build and or game cash
no skill ups
Roll for injuries if a guy MNG you get a journeyman
alter method of skill ups. Your opponent picks your player who gets the skill
Reverse skillups start with 8 skills reduce one for each game (including the doubles at certain points)

Team Scoring:
Average the score
w=3, t=2, l=1 (or some such) average the four scores of your team (average of 4 wins would be 3 points)

Individual Scoring
Elo

Matchups:
Swiss team pairing by record only (same record pool then random)
CAPTAINS pick who plays who. Start picking by coin toss. give the captains something to do besides paperwork get some team strategy involved.

Europeans talk about travel.
Regardless of where we have the NATC many of the people will have to travel at LEAST 1000miles.
The YMCA is not quite a youth hostel so most players will have to get a hotel (which I hope will get figured into the cost)

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Canada
I agree the rules are worthy of discussion. But they will also be independant of the host organising team in the large part as well. So the bidding process is not about the rules, makes it cleaner.

I would say the discussion starts from the rule set used at the WC II, which can be found here.

http://www.blood-bowl.nl/?ac=World+Cup+2011-22-2&windowuid=uid1325625259

I think there are only a few things to consider when deciding what is in and out:

Balance, obviously. The further you go up from 1,000,000 the more things change.
    Time, cards/inducements, particularly ones that break turn sequence, will slow things down. Slow is bad at tournaments in general and a killer at big events.
    Massive impact events. E.g. kick off table. now I think the kick of table adds a nice amount of randomness to things but extending that much further is bad.
    Complication/tracking: anything that changes in tournament is out e.g. skill ups, injuries. Too difficult to control/police so not worth the potential headache/arguements/perceptions about cheating. Picking all skills at the begining of the World Cup both controlled the workload/tracking and gave people things to look forward to e.g. "Well today sucked, but at least tomorrow I get pro/block on that big guy". Resurection is standard now, not least because it speeds everything up.

Scoring should indeed be simple, and it really is imaterial. It was interesting that the WC did score differently for teams and for individuals.

2-1-0 for team play
3-1-0 for individual play

Now I have no problem with ELO, but the software would need to be nicely in place.

Matches would only be fair in double swiss, i.e. team 1 vs. team 2 then player 1 vs. player 1 based on points.

Captains have plenty to do judging painting or getting themselves ready to play too!!

Team strategy could be set around race choices. I do like a limit of 1 of each race per team and actually think even that could lead to balance issues, with two less players per team than the WC. See the distribution of races at WC II:

http://www.thenaf.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5374

I could see a scenario with every team being 50% the same races.

If you look at the results webpage for the World Cup you see teams with big CAS/TD +/- so you could have a balance of races to maximise these differentials for tie breakers.

Anyway, all to say, start somewhere. Where? At the rules the biggest ever bloodbowl tournament used!!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic