NAF Logo
leftstar May 29, 2024 - 05:38 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Toot Toot rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CanalesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Pako wrote:
no notice every time that someone suggested to increase number of participants...

I do not know how the event is being organized (who is in charge of what), but I am sure the organization committee, plus NAF President & any other relevant person, can schedule some sort of meeting (e-mail, a post here in the NAF site, etc.) in order to discuss the possibility of looking for another room.

Maybe I am clueless, but it seems to me that getting another room should be feasible at this point.

If three matches are played per day, that should leave us plenty of time to go from one building to the other.

Lycos et al. do you think this might be doable?

Reply with quote Back to top
longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Assuming me and my team (who by the way, have traveled to over 50 international tourney's between us, 4 of us were at Ressurection in 2002, 3 at the 1st ever NAF tourney, 3 helped out at the WC in 2007, 1 ex pres) get a place at this world cup..............can we play in a Coffee Shop?

CanalesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:10 PM

longfang wrote:
Assuming me and my team (who by the way, have traveled to over 50 international tourney's between us, 4 of us were at Ressurection in 2002, 3 at the 1st ever NAF tourney, 3 helped out at the WC in 2007, 1 ex pres) get a place at this world cup..............can we play in a Coffee Shop?

See, that is exactly my point. If the WC is supposed to be a BB party, why leave some people out when there is still a chance not to?

PanicoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Undisclosed

I bet Del and the others will be there in a coffee shop anyway, World Cup or not World Cup Wink
Del, can I joinT you? Very Happy

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:38 PM
Former President

England
      Teg wrote:
Just to ask, why the italian location (able to host 3.000+ players) was discarded in favour of a location not able to host all of us?

Just to answer this, the process was as follows:
      Lycos wrote:

So here is the up to date situation: We have 3 bids all with different features and attractions. I/We have selected a panel of 18 (it was 12, 6 more are about to be asked) coaches from all over the globe. Most of the 18 are not European. We will give these 18 a breakdown of the bids and ask them to vote. A clear winner will selected. In case of a tie, I will have a casting vote.

For clarity, no coach from one of the countries putting forward a bid will have a vote. The only committee members to vote will be the TD and the FD, for obvious reasons. I only vote if tied.

That's from earlier in this thread. The process was clear.

Some personal thoughts.

I suspect that one of the main reasons Amsterdam won the vote was that it is a major city with lots of attractions to attendees outside of the BB itself coupled with the fact that it has excellent international transport links and is therefore very accessible.
It's worth considering that the other bid locations may not have drawn as many coaches, Amsterdam may be a 'victim' of it's own popularity.
Or we could have ended up with a location that could take all that wanted to attend but may have been a less 'international' event.

Last edited by Deathwing on Jan 10, 2011 - 12:54 PM; edited 1 time in total

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Canada
      Lycos wrote:

I suspect that one of the main reasons Amsterdam won the vote was that it is a major city with lots of attractions to attendees outside of the BB itself coupled with the fact that it has excellent international transport links and is therefore very accessible.

I also suspect that the international transport links were a BIG factor.

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Panico wrote:
I bet Del and the others will be there in a coffee shop anyway, World Cup or not World Cup Wink
Del, can I joinT you? Very Happy

If we don't get in in the next draw I will certainly look at having a very Roken weekend, hopefully LouisX will joinT us. Mon Bodo ami!

ChouOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the great work by the organization. They sure did their best, but they didn't foresee the great expectation this tournament generated.

I'm the captain of the FEBL Team from Spain, and although i'm happy 'cos my team was chosen, i'd like to give my full support to those teams that didn't make it in the original draft, specially those from Spain. As Canales and Pako said, we are still 10 months away from the opening date, so it's logical thinking that a solution can be met. From what I've read, i think the best option is the one from Canales, finding a side place to hold the remaining matches. I know that Amsterdam has a great public transport system, so it doesn't really have to be next to the current place.

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but would it be possible for us to know which steps are being followed to try fixing this problem? Because this way we could possibly add new approaches instead of repeating what the organizators for sure have already thought.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2011 - 05:52 PM

United States of America
Money Talks
Teams you have until say Feb 1 to register and pay (the 450 whatever slots)

Feb1-Feb22
Second round of registers Pay up buddy
Get a place, "cause we have another 100 coaches"(for those not understanding this is an imaginary number) with the catch 22 clause if Lucy cannot sign a place by "March 15" refunds are issued

SIMPLE, DIRECT, AND PLEASING!
PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

TegOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 12:49 AM

Deathwing wrote:
      Teg wrote:
Just to ask, why the italian location (able to host 3.000+ players) was discarded in favour of a location not able to host all of us?

Just to answer this, the process was as follows:
      Lycos wrote:

So here is the up to date situation: We have 3 bids all with different features and attractions. I/We have selected a panel of 18 (it was 12, 6 more are about to be asked) coaches from all over the globe. Most of the 18 are not European. We will give these 18 a breakdown of the bids and ask them to vote. A clear winner will selected. In case of a tie, I will have a casting vote.

For clarity, no coach from one of the countries putting forward a bid will have a vote. The only committee members to vote will be the TD and the FD, for obvious reasons. I only vote if tied.

That's from earlier in this thread. The process was clear.

Some personal thoughts.

It's worth considering that the other bid locations may not have drawn as many coaches, Amsterdam may be a 'victim' of it's own popularity.
Or we could have ended up with a location that could take all that wanted to attend but may have been a less 'international' event.

It would be clear with a post with every locations and their offer, a post with the names of the voters and their vote.
If someone says "a bigger location is too expensive" I reply with the italian location, free and big enough. You can say "we prefer to have the amsterdam 'attractions' and leave at home many NAF members".
This is a good reply and I hope many NAF members will think at it in the next election.

To chose a location for it's popularity and not having the room for that popularity is a nonsense.
Leaving people out of the event makes the WC "a less 'international' event."

However, as said by Canales, we are going forward, we want the organization answer about the question:
"Can you add a side location in Amsterdam to let everyone take part of the international event?"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 01:57 AM

Spain
Thing is that no feedback from NAF or NAF WC organization about working to get all NAF coaches in.

I have no problem with my team out. I was posting months ago about it, I was worried about it prior to got out.

Let consider to play 4 rounds each day. It will increase 25% number or allowed matches. Playing 8 rounds instead of 9, you can get all NAF players in.

Pros:

All NAF players that wanted to be in playing
Free time between rounds to socialize, smoking or tourist visiting
No side venue required

Cons:

More complex timetable (could be assumed, I guess) with gaps
Less rounds in the tourney (8 or even 7)

As Teg said. I just want to read that someone is considering something to get as most players in. That's it. Hope we are learning something.

lesyaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 04:45 AM

There's a date to comunicate the race played?

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 05:05 AM

Sweden
If the chosen venue had been some vast 1000 capacity venue, with associated higher costs and transport problems, I wonder if all of those who are complaining so loudly about a process they likely know the same as I do about (that is, very very little) would then have been asking why it's so hard to get flights and why the event is do expensice and why wasn't a smaller venue chosen?

I'm lucky, my team is in. Unfortunately several friends from a couple of countries were less lucky. I trust those running this event to make it as awesome as possible for as many as possible. I do wonder how much they were expected - by the masses - to know in advance about attendance...I certainly didn't expect over 100 french players to be interested. How many of those would be playing outside France for the first time? Same for Spain, the UK and Italy? If there are - as I suspect - a large number of international tourney first-timers then I think it fully understandable to underestimate the numbers who have pre-registered.

Disclaimer: I'm nominally an RTO, but write merely as a member of very long standing, not any official capacity whatsoever that could be perceived frpm avatar and sig. I am just another joe schmoe looking forward to a great weekend in BB's spiritual home.

VolstaggOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Switzerland
      Thadrin wrote:
If the chosen venue had been some vast 1000 capacity venue, with associated higher costs and transport problems, I wonder if all of those who are complaining so loudly about a process they likely know the same as I do about (that is, very very little) would then have been asking why it's so hard to get flights and why the event is do expensice and why wasn't a smaller venue chosen?

Normally, the more people attending the cheaper it results (this not only applied to bloodbowl, but also to catering services, hosting and even transport). It's just a question of organization and time.

Almost 4 years waitig to play the biggest NAF/BB event and know I'm probably out because of lack of room. Maybe I get lucky and the 22nd Februar my Team is the chosen one, I don't know, and I still don't know what the wainting for.

Maybe you are not upset about knowing very very little, but I'm am!

I think I can complain about it!

And the point is not to say "boo how poor the organization is!" (it will be great anyway, and they will always have my support and gratitude), but lets try to make the best posible WC for EVERYONE!

I 'm attending this WC 99% (shit happens) whether I play it or not, because I don't want to miss it, and as I said before, once there if I have to collect rosters or to play over the bathroom's floor, I'll do it happily.

If it's not possible to find a bigger venue, or a second one, some other options were proposed: playing less matches per day, different timetables... paying 5-10€ extra each one won't wreck anybody's budget, but maybe you will get a nice room to play somewhere.

Just my two cents and the opinion of many spanish coaches that just want to play the game we love.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Canada
      Quote:

Thing is that no feedback from NAF or NAF WC organization about working to get all NAF coaches in.

The problem with feedback is that it can lead to all sorts of follow up unhappyness.
I am certain that things are being attempted, and I am sure announcements will be done as soon as anything is certain. I know I would want to try and stop the "bashing" as soon as possible if I was running the event.

I think the organisers do not want to give anyone false hope so they will not be discussing the steps publicly.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic