NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 01:49 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Why do 2+ dodges fail so often? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will you be attending LRB5 tournaments?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 47 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 71

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 10:06 AM

United States of America
Then what will you do when LRB6 comes out....switch to 5, or stay with 4?

My point is, you need to evolve with the game. When the original 4th edition came out my league was totally against it and we played with 3rd edition with a bunch of house rules added in for a long time. Then we when started playing with other people and in tournaments, we felt like beginners. Since then we have always played the newest rules set, sometimes even before they are official!

Reply with quote Back to top
CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 10:29 AM

jpeletis wrote:
My point is, you need to evolve with the game.

Actually the game needed to evolve with us not us to the game. That's how we got LRB4. The LRB5 isn't evolution. Evolution would have been to allow the tournament scene to grow into it's own. Instead we're slapped back to square one with new rosters, skills, costs, cards, etc. All of which need to be tournament balanced all over again.

ZinakOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Undisclosed

Quote:

What's better? A 36-man LRB 4 tourney, or a 20-man LRB 5 tourney

If LRB5 is the current rules set then I would say that a 20 man lrb 5 tourney is better way to go.

If you get right down to it you need to realise that the rules has changed/evolved and we need to move on with them. This happenes in all the GW based games and you hear the same bitching everytime. I bet if I took the time or even cared to I would see the same people who are bitchin' now be the ones who bitched when lrb 4 came out.

Anyway try and rememebr its a game and if you do not like the rules then don t play the game.

Zinak

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Quote:

Instead we're slapped back to square one with new rosters, skills, costs, cards, etc. All of which need to be tournament balanced all over again

Back to square one? What cards? Are you kidding me? The differences from LRB 4 to 5 in respect to tournament play are so minimal these kind of statements just show the kind of blind hatred and ignorance some people have to this switch over. If you want to bitch about LRB 5 in respect to league play, I m fine with that. There are radical changes there (some I think are good, some I think are awful). But for tourney play you re talking a few much needed roster changes and a handful of new skills. For the most part, unless you re keen to play Ogres, DEs or Norse (none of which are particularly popular tourney teams) the change will be largely transparent.

Go play 1st edition if you are so blindly against change. This is GW s game... every single system they have does this... new editions come... players adapt and you move on. The ones who d rather hold their breath until their faces turn purple than stay current can be left behind. No big loss.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 04:50 PM

bampf wrote:
If you want to bitch about LRB 5 in respect to league play, I m fine with that. There are radical changes there (some I think are good, some I think are awful). But for tourney play you re talking a few much needed roster changes and a handful of new skills. For the most part, unless you re keen to play Ogres, DEs or Norse (none of which are particularly popular tourney teams) the change will be largely transparent.

Actually I've stayed pretty far away from any league discussion of the PBBL rules for the simple fact that I havn't played league in years. It's really not a form of the game I'm interested in and I've said many times that these rules are probably fine for league play. Tournament play though is a different game.

Norse aren't a popular tourney team. You're kidding right?

Fan Favorite, Fend, Grab, Sneaky Git, Titchy, Wrestle, to but name a few of the new skills, never mind the modified ones, are more than a hand full of new skills. That's like saying we'll remove block and dodge from the game and nothing will change.

bampf wrote:
Go play 1st edition if you are so blindly against change. This is GW s game... every single system they have does this... new editions come... players adapt and you move on. The ones who d rather hold their breath until their faces turn purple than stay current can be left behind. No big loss.

Actually it's not GW's game but that's a whole other discussion. When GW decided to abandon BB for a decade I guess those of us who still played the game were pretty darn stupid and should have just followed the shepherd and done the same. Man what were we doing thinking for ourselves. Boy were we blind. Maybe there's a few amongst the crowd who like to think for themselves instead of being lead around blindly for no better reason than whim and fancy.

lawquoterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 05:37 PM

United States of America

It's our game. f*&k gw.

I'll go wherever snew, xtreme, phil, omm, mrinprophet, karl, and the rest of my boys are. Hell, I don't even have to play. I'd prefer to, but it's not the real reason.

#1 U.S. Vampire Coach (of 2 )

*note: loss only on the Street while playing halflings.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 06:46 PM

United States of America
GW had very little to do with this latest rules change.....

It is more about the people at this point. I'm gonna miss the mafia and my old league.

My main dislikes in non-league bloodbowl: the new fouling rules, the messing with skaven roster, norse roster, losing bad kick, adding new positionals, messing with big guys...surprisingly the treeman is now the cheapest big guy-----

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Undisclosed
      gken1 wrote:
...surprisingly the treeman is now the cheapest big guy-----

I guess the Iron Chefs must have had a coupon. Smile

EDIT: Seriously though...regardless of who own's the game that you end up playing...pick your preference and enjoy. OR...come up with your own game and enjoy. I know that the whole point of this forum is to dicuss such things...but I think before anyone plays politics...it should be remembered that it is just a game. I wouldn't care if the next 2000 people voted against LRB5...I am still going to play whatever the nearest tournies and leagues dish-up. (And make a run at the Spoon...or whatever it's called in the current incarnation of the game. Smile )

NAF Member #5236
---

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 02:46 AM

Undisclosed
      Zinak wrote:
      Quote:

What's better? A 36-man LRB 4 tourney, or a 20-man LRB 5 tourney

If LRB5 is the current rules set then I would say that a 20 man lrb 5 tourney is better way to go.

Guess that's where we differ then. I'd rather attend a tourney were I can catch up with 35 other guys that I might not see again for a few months, rather than a tourney were only 19 of them turn up, just because it's playing the "official" rules.

Quote:
If you get right down to it you need to realise that the rules has changed/evolved and we need to move on with them.

Why? Why do I "need to move on"? I can happily play BB at my club in a league, and I attend 5 or 6 tourneys a year happily playing LRB 4, with many more if I had the time/money. All the tourneys I go to are well attended. Why would I be happy to see a reduction in attendees and/or tourneys, just to be up-to-date?

Quote:
I bet if I took the time or even cared to I would see the same people who are bitchin' now be the ones who bitched when lrb 4 came out.

Well, can't speak for others, but I thought LRB 1-4 were improvements, and welcomed them. Can't say the same for LRB 5.

Quote:
Anyway try and rememebr its a game and if you do not like the rules then don t play the game.

I do remember it's a game, and I enjoy playig it against friends, which is why I'd rather play a fun version with more mates, rather than a "new" version with fewer.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 03:40 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Darkson wrote:
What's better? A 36-man LRB 4 tourney, or a 20-man LRB 5 tourney?

Bigger is better Very Happy I really couldn't care less about the rules used.

lawquoterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 05:34 AM

United States of America

I suspect this edition will be like the gold. oops, shouldn't have mentioned it. Mr. Green

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Trouble maker Laughing

bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Quote:

Fan Favorite, Fend, Grab, Sneaky Git, Titchy, Wrestle, to but name a few of the new skills, never mind the modified ones, are more than a hand full of new skills. That's like saying we'll remove block and dodge from the game and nothing will change.

Now that s about the silliest statement I ve heard in this discussion yet. In a tourney format where people choose around half a dozen skills you think those additions will make that much difference? Compared to Block and Dodge?

First off two of the skills you ve listed can t even be selected. Add in juggernaut and kick return and that s it. A couple of which you ll never see taken in tourney play. That s a handful.

I m in my fifth league using the new skills (save for some of the later additions like Sneaky Git) with over 560 games played with them! I ve yet to see any one of them to be overpowered. Rarely is one even selected. People will still always take Block, Dodge, Tackle and Guard first because they re still the most powerful and useful skills. The overall impact will be minimal. Coming from 500+ games experience, I assure you of that. The sky is not falling. It s still BloodBowl. Give it a try and you ll see that.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 09:19 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
      gken1 wrote:
...surprisingly the treeman is now the cheapest big guy-----

I guess the Iron Chefs must have had a coupon. Smile

You know folks ... if you are going to slam me ... it would be appreciated if you actually read the rules so that you at least slammed me for valid reasons.

The Treeman is not the cheapest big guy. Brian already rolled out his Galak abused this and that with the power of the Halfling team and its background ... at least he used a chair with three legs (although he and I beg to differ if they were shaped like a triangle or a line) instead of the two legged comment I just read.

=====

On a side note ... I've played dozens of games at TV 100 with the LRB 5.0 rules and they play the same to me in everyway that actually matters ... so I'll go to any tournament I can get to whether LRB 4.0 or LRB 5.0 ... because playing the game is the only thing that matters to me.

Galak

lawquoterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2006 - 09:34 PM

United States of America

CyberHare wrote:
Trouble maker Laughing

who me? Razz

you think LRB 5.0 sucks, you just wait until you see LRB 6.0. Twisted Evil

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic