NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 20, 2024 - 06:34 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Mamma Mia... Luca Toni! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
FeralOffline
Post subject: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Montreal

jrock56 wrote:
From southern Ontario, to Montreal it seems there is a dedicated group of us now that can hopefully continue to branch out and attract more people to these tournies. The organization amongst everyone has vastly improved just within the last year, and will hopefully continue to do so.

I agree with you jrock56, seems like things are picking-up. I had doughts about creating a League here in Montreal but if the community is shaping up it just might be a wortwhille effort. I think I have a good base of supporters. I've already assembled a bunch of friends and other like minded individuals here in Montreal. If I could contact some of the coaches that are of this site maybe something could be done about the BB scene in the city.

Now if someone could send me in the right direction for rules concerning the creation of an official NAF League and Tourney creation and we'll see if time's on my side.

Feels good to be part of something you care about. Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Canadian Tournies  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 08:39 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
I agree with Rod..... to a point.

But let it be known, that I think Clan-Skaven's true motivation for wanting the Spike! tournament to leave the land of the maple leaf if so that no-one else besides himself (and the now absent Ben Tusim) can lay claim to being a true Spike! champion (I won the Friday Spike! tourney last run in Ontario, but it was the Saturday only that was counted as the true Spike!)

I was being serious (for once ya ya I know , big shock!) , but I don't I really don't care about the "so called Major" I won, it was a joke of a tourney.....

And as usual Spazz when I try & do a legit post with a legit point , you yet again mess it up with useless dribble!

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Canada
[quote="Feral"]
      jrock56 wrote:
I had doughts about creating a League here in Montreal but if the community is shaping up it just might be a wortwhille effort. I think I have a good base of supporters. I've already assembled a bunch of friends and other like minded individuals here in Montreal. If I could contact some of the coaches that are of this site maybe something could be done about the BB scene in the city.

There certainly is a good base of BBers in the Montreal area. It is the leagues that get people playing regularly, and then increases the support for the tourneys that happen within yur area. I look forward to you breathing some life back into the Montreal crowd and hopefully we can get anotehr tourney back out there some day!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Canada
      Feral wrote:
      jrock56 wrote:
From southern Ontario, to Montreal it seems there is a dedicated group of us now that can hopefully continue to branch out and attract more people to these tournies. The organization amongst everyone has vastly improved just within the last year, and will hopefully continue to do so.

I agree with you jrock56, seems like things are picking-up. I had doughts about creating a League here in Montreal but if the community is shaping up it just might be a wortwhille effort. I think I have a good base of supporters. I've already assembled a bunch of friends and other like minded individuals here in Montreal. If I could contact some of the coaches that are of this site maybe something could be done about the BB scene in the city.

Now if someone could send me in the right direction for rules concerning the creation of an official NAF League and Tourney creation and we'll see if time's on my side.

Feels good to be part of something you care about. Smile

I can help you with tournament creation. No problem.

If you want to do an event in Montreal, you should get in touch with Taxal. He has been wanting to the do the same for a couple of years (basically since deathbowl moved to ottawa at the end of 06). I just exchanged a PM with him about it yesterday.

If you guys connect your gaming groups I am sure you could put together at least 1 event in your city.

Taxal, bellothunderslam, jell-o and sabarslax all came from montreal to Deathbowl and they play in two different groups in your city. There are a bunch of guys who used to come out for deathbowl when cyberhare ran in montreal too who I am sure would be up for playing again.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
Taxal, bellothunderslam, jell-o and sabarslax all came from montreal to Deathbowl and they play in two different groups in your city. There are a bunch of guys who used to come out for deathbowl when cyberhare ran in montreal too who I am sure would be up for playing again.

SBG is another one. He won the Deathbowl one year if I am not mistaken - believe it was DB II. He disappeared for a while, but has been popping up on NAF more frequently as of late.

ColinOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 10:09 AM

i don't understand why people in eastern Canada think the last 2 Spikes held out here in western Canada were failures. Is it just because the results from the 2007 Spike were never entered in the NAf database? Seems a strange way to judge the success of a tourney. I'm sure any missing results can get sorted out, that's not really a big deal in my mind. The thing that determines a good tourney, in my mind, is if it is well run and the amount of particiipants. I attended the '07 Spike and it was a well run, very fun tourney with about 30 coaches in attedance (which is a large tourney for North Amercian standards). From what I understand from those who attended the Spike this year, it was very fun and well run as well with about the same amount of or more coaches attending (some from the US, not just Canada)
Having a major tourney here in western Canada that can be attended by coaches from Canada and the US.is a good thing and helps stimulate the tourney scene out here. Hopefully there will be more tourneys for western Canadainas and Americans to attend as it's very expensive to travel to the other side of the country (as I'm sure you are all aware). As long as the Spike keeps getting good crowds showing up and coaches as having a good time, that's all that counts. If attendance drops off so that there are only 10 people showing up (like the last time it was held in Ontario), then, yes, by all means, put it somewhere else. People in Ontario and Quebec can easily travel to the Chaos Cup in Chicago, so having another Major in close proximaty isn't needed or a good thing. That's why I don't think it should go back to being held in southern Ontario. So if the organisers of the Spike out here in western Canada do wind up "dropping the ball" and get bad attendace due to a poorly run event, then let GW give the tourney to another country, but it's a little premature to be calling for that now (but everyone's entitled to their own opinion).

Last edited by Colin on Oct 24, 2008 - 10:51 PM; edited 1 time in total

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Canada
      Torg wrote:
E don't understand why people in eastern Canada think the last 2 Spikes held out here in western Canada were failures. Is it just because the results from the 2007 Spike were never entered in the NAf database? Seems a strange way to judge the success of a tourney. I'm sure any missing results can get sorted out, that's not really a big deal in my mind. The thing that determines a good tourney, in my mind, is if it is well run and the amount of particiipants.

You are right, in general people want a nice fun tournament with lots of players there. That is where most of the fun is to be had.

Problem 1 is that the spike is a "Major" which a great many people in the bloodbowl community are interested in.

Inputting the results of tournament is a way that event is reconnected back to the wider community. Which is a nice thing for all tournaments but vital for a major as everyone has a stake in the majors doing well. A lot of people dream about trips to play in the majors at some time in the future. Whether they ever will or not is imaterial. If people don't know they exist then they won't dream about it.

Problem 2 is that additionally, NAF ranking points excite some coaches, definitely not all, but some. If people see an impact of playing a tournament on their global standings they maybe motivated to go out and play a ranked event again to get those extra points to be a) higher than their buddy b) not the bottom ranked coach c) be #1 nurgle coach int he world for example.
By not entering the results you deny many of the attendees of part of the fun of tournament play.

Also by not entering the results you deny any attendee the biggest benefit of NAF membership which is the recording of their tournament history.

For good or ill, people like to be able to look back and go, yeah I remember that, that was cool, fun or that was when my dice deserted me and nuffle p*ss*d in my porridge.

So in conclusion, a tournament where only the people attending see the results is only ever ok.
A major where the wider community don't get to know about the results is definitely a failure until they do.

JTB

p.s. I don't have any problem with it staying in western canada. I like to dream about travelling over one year to play, just as I do with the chaos cup, bloodbowl, dungeon bowl and million other great events.

p.p.s. If someone gave me the data from the events I would enter it myself!

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Vancouver, BC
      Torg wrote:
E don't understand . . .

Hounestly, I am suprised that the Easterners claim the recent Spike! was a failure. I guess they never looked at the Spike 2008 webpage. So I appologies on their behalf. And please guys, do some research before you claim facts on something . . . remember what happened with LRB 5?

I personally do not have a problem where it is held as long as it gets the interest it deserves. My only gripes with the Spike! was how GW: Canada miss handled the last 2 held in Ontario and, most importantly, the fact that is has changed venues (Ontario-Alberta-BC) and has had no consistent time-of-year that it is run. If these two points are made consistant than until someone fails in running it I see no need to move the tourny.

BTW, for reference the Chaos Cup has changed venue. So it is no longer in Chicago but now another 3+ hours away. And, there were a few of us planning on going until this change happened.

L3athalKOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 12:53 PM

Canada
Hi, just a thought here but why not alternate the Spike from west to east every other year? And why not hold the Spike in Montreal? It could really help draw out the Bloodbowl crowd in Quebec. I'm sure it might also attract some Americans to come play in a Eastern Canadian tournament. Last time i recall playing in a tournament with an American coach was at Deathbowl IV, which of course was held in Montreal. It has been three long years since a major tournament has been held in Montreal and I believe that the city is due for one. But again, just my 2 cents Very Happy

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately no one answer will satisfy everyone. I personally do not like the alternating venues as the logistics would be a nightmare. i.e. what if it clashes with local tournaments in the east but not the west (or vice versa) when we try to hold it at the same time every year. If we have alternate dates for the east and west that could meen one is in April and the other Sept. Making the span between tournaments 7 or 17 monthes. Also, consistancy in how the product is delivered would be an issue.

I say one TO, one location, @ the same time every year. When the quality of the tournament becomes an issue that is time for this conversation.

Last edited by Eric.R. on Oct 24, 2008 - 01:11 PM; edited 1 time in total

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Canada
      Eric.R. wrote:
      Torg wrote:
E don't understand . . .

Hounestly, I am suprised that the Easterners claim the recent Spike! was a failure. I guess they never looked at the Spike 2008 webpage. So I appologies on their behalf. And please guys, do some research before you claim facts on something . . . remember what happened with LRB 5?

I personally do not have a problem where it is held as long as it gets the interest it deserves. My only gripes with the Spike! was how GW: Canada miss handled the last 2 held in Ontario and, most importantly, the fact that is has changed venues (Ontario-Alberta-BC) and has had no consistent time-of-year that it is run. If these two points are made consistant than until someone fails in running it I see no need to move the tourny.

BTW, for reference the Chaos Cup has changed venue. So it is no longer in Chicago but now another 3+ hours away. And, there were a few of us planning on going until this change happened.

I agree with Eric about the Spike 2008 webpage, i meant to mention that I think the "Thunderbowl" group seems like a splendidly run league and would have no problem with then in anyway, if they would just put the results in for the event.

Didn't know about the Chaos cup...... Sad

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Canada
      Rug-Thug wrote:
Hi, just a thought here but why not alternate the Spike from west to east every other year? And why not hold the Spike in Montreal? It could really help draw out the Bloodbowl crowd in Quebec. I'm sure it might also attract some Americans to come play in a Eastern Canadian tournament. Last time i recall playing in a tournament with an American coach was at Deathbowl IV, which of course was held in Montreal. It has been three long years since a major tournament has been held in Montreal and I believe that the city is due for one. But again, just my 2 cents Very Happy

Unfortunately GW has control over the spike to some degree so they have a lot of say in its location.

Montreal should get its own tournament soon though, both Feral and Taxals groups seem keen to stage and event, so fingers crossed it will happen.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:13 PM

Canada
      Eric.R. wrote:
Unfortunately no one answer will satisfy everyone. I personally do not like the alternating venues as the logistics would be a nightmare. i.e. what if it clashes with local tournaments in the east but not the west (or vice versa) when we try to hold it at the same time every year. If we have alternate dates for the east and west that could meen one is in April and the other Sept. Making the span between tournaments 7 or 17 monthes. Also, consistancy in how the product is delivered would be an issue.

I say one TO, one location, @ the same time every year. When the quality of the tournament becomes an issue that is time for this conversation.

I agree that for preference it should stay in the same place. But the ONLY reason I am in this conversation is to get the results into the database. GW could decide to hold it on the moon, and that would be fine as long as the games were entered in a timely fashion Laughing

FeralOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Montreal

[quote="Rug-Thug"]Hi, just a thought here but why not alternate the Spike from west to east every other year? And why not hold the Spike in Montreal? It could really help draw out the Bloodbowl crowd in Quebec. quote]¨

Yay! I like that idea of having Spike here in Montreal. Very Happy Would be a great way to draw up the BB fans here in Québec! Though I still haven't made contact with experienced BBers here t

The idea of switching the Spike! from one end of the country to another would truly make this an interesting event and maybe give the chance to some people who don't normally have a chance to go to Majors or Tourneys to bask in the fun of such an event. (Has anyone heard of any kind of event in the Maritimes??? Question )

Then there's the human factor... Call me conservative but why change the organising team when the one claiming responsibility for it has proven that they can uphold this responsibility? Changing city year after year you risk end up with flimsy organisation (like from what I understand happened in 2006/2007). I don't think we want that with a Major... Plus changing locations over and over and you risk alienating some of the crowd that usually go to such events.

But hey, it's an interesting idea! Maybe the should could be organised by twin cities respectively, altering from one year to the next the responsibility of hosting the event.

Just throwing ideas here....

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frogs in the blender?  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Canada
      Feral wrote:

Then there's the human factor... Call me conservative but why change the organising team when the one claiming responsibility for it has proven that they can uphold this responsibility? Changing city year after year you risk end up with flimsy organisation (like from what I understand happened in 2006/2007). I don't think we want that with a Major... Plus changing locations over and over and you risk alienating some of the crowd that usually go to such events.

I think if you have designated and experienced people running the Spike! then it will be fine wherever you have it. That was the problem with the 2006 Spike! in that the people running it were totally inexperienced, The Spike! being their first. Not something you want to be done with a major!

I also like the idea of alternating it back and forth. I can understand the West wanting to hold onto it, but if we have it back and forth then we can spread the love, and as long as it is is in capable hands on both sides, then it is something that people can look forward to, and maybe attract an international crowd again, as it has done in the past.

BTW...... how did this thread go from being about Canadian tourneys to now being named "Frogs in the Blender"???

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic