NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 22, 2024 - 09:31 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Halfling team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Canada
Thanks for the info Apedog,

I am looking forward to trying out the team - underdogs or not, they should be a challenge to play! The Bunker plays a league to a finals and then they give it a rest and then play it again a couple of months later. This will be the third league and the third different team that I am playing.

I just wish that I had some more practise playing them before my first game on Friday! Vampire

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Last edited by Spazzfist on Nov 25, 2004 - 09:10 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2004 - 08:11 PM

A vampire team is a bad proposition short term and an unstoppable juggernaut long term.

If you stick with it long enough, they'll become so good that you will either decide to retire them or your league will crumble.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2004 - 09:08 PM

Canada
The league only lasts for a couple of months at which point we go into a quarter, semi and then finals. After that it is disbanded for another couple of months before starting up again.

My thought is whether or not I will be able to get enough games in to make it this "unstoppable juggernaut" you describe! (my game time is quite limited).

Whatever, I am just looking forward to using a team I have never played before!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2004 - 09:20 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
LOL

Having a look a the top Vampires on FUMBBL wouldn't indicate any of them become unstoppable teams at all. In fact the opposite appears to be true with many of the oldest teams being wrecked by too many casualties.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 07:03 AM

Canada
Well to some extent I question the legitimacy of FUMBBL from what I have heard about the "randomness" of the dice rolls.

However, having said that I do not doubt that the team will be plagued with injuries. I mean, the bulk of the team has 7 armour, and even then the vamps are going to be causing their own auto-injuries on their own players. Nice... Like I said, playing it for the fun and the challenge. LYK how I do as it plays out!

Other than that, I am wonderin if people have any tips as to se up or general play of the team?

There seems to be a general consensus as to the skill development. Pro for the vamps and then block, dirty player or kick for the thralls.

Anything else?

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Undisclosed
Knowing you...I think Sure Hands might be a good choice. Smile

-Rob

EDIT:
P.S. I fully expect to get pounded into the pitch the next time we play. But its fun railing on the Keystone...I mean Savage Orcs. Laughing

NAF Member #5236
---

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 07:46 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
If you stick with it long enough, they'll become so good that you will either decide to retire them or your league will crumble.
A fact that FUMBBL has shown to be completely untrue.

Sorry Zombie ... your theories don't work for this team.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Nov 26, 2004 - 07:53 AM; edited 1 time in total

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 07:49 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Spazzfist wrote:
Well to some extent I question the legitimacy of FUMBBL from what I have heard about the "randomness" of the dice rolls.

The "randomness" is fine. Folks have bad luck and the first freaking thing they blame is the random number generator. Had the same problem with the PBeM program ... AND just like Ski's program we proved that the random number generator was just that ... random using a series of tests created by one of our statistics gurus.

People don't like to lose ... and like to find scapegoats ... that the only thing wrong with the randomness of Ski's program.

Galak

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 08:43 AM

Canada
Well I don't want to hijack this thread any discussion about FUMBBL. Like I said it is what I have heard.

Any tactics? First game tonight! I would like to not get totally pounded! Shocked

@lagerbottom - Laugh it up 'fling boy! Sounds like you could use sure hands for your passport!

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Undisclosed
Oh boy...I should have a talk with Anthony...

Somehow Clan-Skaven hacked into Spazzfist's account to leave that post. Sorry Rod...you're busted...You used that joke already. Smile

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 08:55 AM

Canada
Well... you are making jokes based on my orcs performance at the Spike! tournament, if you had actually made it to the Deathbowl, you would have seen that they did not smear lard on their hands before the game! (which gave me no excuse for having the same win/loss record as the Spike!)

Now is the 'fling king going to give me advice on playing vamps, or is he going to chastize me some more for recycling jokes? Wink

Spazz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Undisclosed
Well...I haven't played with the Vampire team in their current state. But way back when I had "BobbyO and His Bumbling Minions," I tried to focus on the Thrall's progression. Given that the name of the team was suggested by one of my opponents...you can see that it didn't go so well. It turned out that the Vampire Lord, who was part of the team at that time and very potent as-is, did everything and progressed pretty rapidly.

He got the Magic Helmet, from the 3rd Edition Magic Items, and two movement increases. Smile AV-10, MA-8 dealer of death. Smile

Anyway...I would still try the same thing if I played them now. Get that Apothocary and concentrate on the Thrall. Maybe start with a high FF and re-rolls and only two Vampires. (Treat them as a more running focused Human team.)

Force the Thralls to do things with the thought that you may not be very successfull in terms of Wins/Losses early anyway. Then as the league goes on you will have More Thralls with Skills and can buy the other vampires later with the piles of cash that you have pocketed-away.

Then when you have the two "bad" vampires, just be sure to partner them with ...umm...less useful Thrall. Smile

Anyway...hope that helps a bit. Not from experience, just speculating...
-Rob (aka King King Fling)

P.S. The 'Flings are still on the fence about retiring. So don't get too excited there Mr. "I can't wait to smash your Halflings" Spazzfist.

NAF Member #5236
---

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 05:00 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
LOL

Having a look a the top Vampires on FUMBBL wouldn't indicate any of them become unstoppable teams at all. In fact the opposite appears to be true with many of the oldest teams being wrecked by too many casualties.

I wouldn't call Fumble Blood Bowl. Sorry, doesn't count. We're talking the real face to face thing here.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Spazzfist wrote:
The league only lasts for a couple of months at which point we go into a quarter, semi and then finals. After that it is disbanded for another couple of months before starting up again.

My thought is whether or not I will be able to get enough games in to make it this "unstoppable juggernaut" you describe! (my game time is quite limited).

Then don't worry about that. I don't think it would happen before 30 to 40 games.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2004 - 07:50 PM

Canada
Well the vamps took the field for the first league game today! Unfortunately, things were so slow that we only finished the first half before the bunker kicked us out!

It was Vamps vs. rats, and the casualties are mounting, unfortunately, they are all for my team! I have one SI thrall, and one dead, one thrall is still KO'd. I did have a vamp who was Badly Hurt but managed to regenerate it. The thrall who was killed was by a very hungry vampire who failed almost all of her OFAB rolls!

But I am up 1-0 and we hope to finish the game on Sunday.

The tricky thing is figuring out the nuances for the use of the hypnotic gaze. So far it has proved very useful.

I am hoping to be able to buy an apothecary soon! <gulp>

Hopefully I have enought thralls to field a team next game!

Skull Vampire Skull

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic