NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 05, 2024 - 09:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Halfling team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
With piling on, do you declare the pile on BEFORE or AFTER rolling for armour?
Before
55%
 55%  [ 40 ]
After
44%
 44%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 72

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:11 AM

Whilst the Ogre (and Khemri) teams have ST5 players with easy access to Piling On this is always going to be a problem, especially when combined with Mighty Blow.

As the Ogre Blitzers are always going to have these if they are to become official I think it's Piling On that will need to be revised.

We play that it's chosen before the dice are rolled and so far no problems, but no ST5 players in our league have it yet. Regardless of how to do it (some good suggestions in this thread) I think if these teams are on the way the Piling On issue will need to be addressed.

Boom! He's on his back!

Reply with quote Back to top
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:21 AM

Apedog: I wholeheartedly agree. By the way, there's a guy on talkbloodbowl.com who uses the exact same avatar that you are using right now. There is a lot of crossover between these two sites, and that Avatar will probably result in more than a little confusion. (Munkey, if this is you I'm going to be a bit embarrased.)

-Oscar Wilde

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:52 AM

Certainly is me (casts off disguise!)

Thought Apedog was a little bit more original as in my travels on the net i've come across a few munkeys, then having registered immediately regretted it as i've become quite used to being Munkey on TBB Embarassed

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:06 PM

I'm sure Anthony could change it if you want to - or you could add a little text with your real identity in your tagline.

-Oscar Wilde

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:13 PM

I did think about asking but I figured that he would be busy with other stuff, what with the site just going live. Also I didn't really want to set a precedent and have loads of people request name changes.

Apart from that I also wasn't too sure who to ask Embarassed

Boom! He's on his back!

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:27 PM

http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16

The only reason I know is that somebody beat you to the question. Wink In any case, precedent has already been set.

-Oscar Wilde

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:41 PM

Thanks, got to be worth a try i s'pose

Boom! He's on his back!

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2003 - 07:21 PM

Undisclosed
skummy,
great idea, 1/2 str is much better, but I still think it should count as a foul action.

AristodeimosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2003 - 06:13 AM

Munkey, I agree with you about it counting as a Foul. Unfortunately, the earliest Piling-on would be changed is the next Rules Review. My league will have finished three more tournaments by then. We could make a House Rule, but we are trying to stay true to the "vanilla" rules.

ArktorisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2003 - 11:07 PM

our league plays "after" in accordance with rulebook, but I think it makes more sense to roll "before". It has been suggested by one of our coaches to cap the skill to +3 on armor, regardless of strength.

frecklesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2003 - 03:01 PM

Australia

Wow! I seem to have opened up a can of worms!! It's interesting to read everyone's opinions. I agree that the skill needs to be changed somehow, whether that's by going to 1/2 ST bonus or making it a trait (my preferred option). Think I'll email Babs and talk to him about bringing it up at the Rules Review in October.

Cheers!

spindexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2003 - 11:47 PM

I think if you just change it to a trait it makes it much harder to get for a player. this would cut down on it a lot. then keep it to as is you get to decide after the dice roll.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2003 - 08:23 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

BloodbasherMasher wrote:
I'm sure that MBBL is seeing some of this, right? They have to. If not, I might actually start to PBeM and rock Galak's world. I here he is playing a 1/2ling team Smile

If MBBL is seeing this, I'm sure Galak will have it addressed.

I try to summarize several points:

1) The MBBL is see "some" of this. However, so far the conclusion has been not that Piling On was broken but that non-Big Guys starting with MB was a problem. IE the Mummy. So our BBRC folks that watch over the MBBL requested replacing Mighty Blow with Foul Appearance on the Mummies (a trait they had in both 1st and 2nd edition of BB). So far in the MBBL the Khemri have been averaging 3.25 Cas per a game with the mixed record of 2 games played with MB Mummies and 2 games with FA mummies. Now I have 2 Khemri teams in the MBBL who have 7 Mummies total of which 5 have Piling On. When the Khemri team started with Mighty Blow, it averaged 4.25 Cas a game. Since Mighty Blow was replaced with Foul Appearance, the Khemri team is average 2.25 Cas per a game. The Norse teams in my league are at a 2.4 Average and the Dwarf teams are at 2.67, so the revised Khemri seem to have Cas #s back down with the normal LRB teams.

2) I'm not really going to argue the whole Piling On debate. Chet once went into a very long stats discussion on Piling On vs other skills like Tackle to prove that even after the AV roll the skill wasn't that great. HOWEVER, changing Piling On back to before the AV roll seems to be one of the single greatest House Rules current in BB leagues from the LRB, so it needs considered by the BBRC again. Trust me, I plan on getting the BBRC Hot List back up and running for the new year, and Piling On will again go back on it. But not Diving Tackle ... the skill sucks if it has to be declared before the Dodge roll (but that's another discussion).

3) Rock my world Masher. Trust me, while you are more than welcome in the MBBL I don't think you'd try to break the experimental or existing rules any more so than the 40 coaches in the MBBL currently are. As for coaching Halflings. 10 games played with the team. I've never been held scoreless, and I've only been beating by more than 1 TD twice, so you are welcome to try but I don't use the tactics in BB Mag #6 to play the team ... unlike that guy I actually know how to play LRB Flings.

Think that's it for the summary ... if you want to see the race statistics for the MBBL to date, the link is here:

http://www.blood-bowl.net/MBBL/MBBL_RaceStats.htm

Galak

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 05:19 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
For the record:
I changed it because it was giving an undue advantage and coaches were beginning to choose the skill to stay on par with everyone else who had it. Call it an arms race like Dirty Player used to be. To me it's a sure sign that there is a problem with the skill. There was also a fairly disgruntled undercurrent in the players about the top ranked coach cruising around taking advantage of such a rule. He is a good coahc and did not need to be doing so, but it was making a tournament which could be enjoyable less so.
So I house ruled against the LRB, despite wanting to be as 'vanilla LRB' as possible. So sue me - being in the BBRC isn't a straight jacket you know Smile

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 08:16 AM

Galak and Babs: Thanks for the input. I'll show both of these to my league. The comments about a Piling On arms race are very accurate.

On a sidenote, our league does not have a commissioner, and has to vote in changes to the LRB. Any change to the LRB has to be near unanimous, and can only have one dissenting vote. With a 13 person league, this isn't likely and we will keep playing with this rule until it is changed.

The upshot is, we are eagerly awaiting a ruling on this in the next Rules Review.

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic