NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:16 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where would we be without Mungk? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 08:09 AM
Da Warboss

England
Apologies if it's been discussed before, but:

1) What happens if there is nothing in range of the Vampire - where does the ball scatter from? Since the coach MUST make a move action, can they move the Vampire nearer his own players so when the ball scatters from his final square it might bounce near/onto one of his own team? Must the vamp NOT move if he can't reach a thrall?

2) Can a vamp GFI to reach a Thrall?

3) Can a vamp GFI to reach an opposing player? The ball then scatters into the opposing player, is not caught and bounces to a friendly player and it IS caught - is this a turnover?

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 08:55 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Indigo wrote:
Apologies if it's been discussed before, but:

1) What happens if there is nothing in range of the Vampire - where does the ball scatter from? Since the coach MUST make a move action, can they move the Vampire nearer his own players so when the ball scatters from his final square it might bounce near/onto one of his own team? Must the vamp NOT move if he can't reach a thrall?

2) Can a vamp GFI to reach a Thrall?

3) Can a vamp GFI to reach an opposing player? The ball then scatters into the opposing player, is not caught and bounces to a friendly player and it IS caught - is this a turnover?

Quote:
The player's team loses the declared action for that turn and the player must instead make a Move Action. ... If the player does not finish moving next to a Thrall from his own team, then he runs into Reserves to find a pretty maiden groupie to quench his thirst. Place him in the reserves box, this is a turnover (if he was holding the ball it scatters once from the final square of his movement.)

From above ... its a normal move so yes you can GFI and it scatters from the final square of that normal movement where you are standing and this drop is automatically a turnover as stated above regardless of what happens with the scatter.

Galak

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 09:55 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Forgive the attitude, but I've grown to the opinion that playtesting and thoughts by the online masses doesn't matter for jack recently so it affects my thoughts on topics like this one.

How coincidental! I was just thinking that certain good minds in the on-line community have become a bit locked into a particular way of seeing a certain problem (e.g., OFAB), and that opinions expressed contrary to that particular way of seeing that problem (both backed and unbacked by playtesting efforts) don't matter for jack recently.

Consequently, this has certainly affected my thoughts on topics like this one, although I'm trying harder of late to let it slide. It's that self-awareness that helps me take a step back and consider the issue a bit clearer than I might if I let myself get a bit hard-headed instead.

Food for thought! Today's leading item: mint candies Smile

-Chet

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 11:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

With the new rules review ... expect to see OFAB change. With Pro as a trait, the skill as its stands will probably need to be simplified.

Chet eariler in this thread suggested something like:

On 1, Vampire loses his action for the turn. In addition, if not standing adjacent to a Thrall (prone, stunned, or standing) Vampire runs off pitch causing turnover.

No more INJ roll to the Thrall. This would make the team play similar to my Snotling team in the MBBL2 or the Ogre #2 roster in the MBBL where the Snotlings have to get next to the Trolls or the Goblins to the Ogre Blockers to make sure that everyone works right for the turn when the Big Guys start to move.

I'd be willing to test Chet's recommended change in light of the change to Pro. And I'm not that hard-headed ... really.

Galak

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 12:11 PM

Toronto, ON
Hmm I like this idea... I might have to convince the boys to playtest this one.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 01:03 PM

OFAB got a lot of attention during the Rules Review. We played around with many options, ultimately deciding to table it until the Playtesters Vault goes live (which will be a few weeks from now). Most of the permutations suggested here and elsewhere have been used to suggest a few alternatives to the current version. (I myself am allergic to causing turnovers on failed negative trait rolls and to injuring your own players on those rolls; I'm not at all allergic to an on-pitch variant that keeps Vampires near Thralls for feeding, however.)

-Chet

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 01:48 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Tutenkharnage wrote:
(I myself am allergic to causing turnovers on failed negative trait rolls and to injuring your own players on those rolls; I'm not at all allergic to an on-pitch variant that keeps Vampires near Thralls for feeding, however.)
-Chet

With that in mind ... you could go with this instead:

On 1, Vampire loses his action for the turn. In addition, if not standing adjacent to a Thrall (prone, stunned, or standing) Vampire becomes Stunned from the lack of blood (this does not cause a turnover even if the Vampire was holding the ball).

I could live with testing that.

Galak

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me. I'd probably add that the Thrall goes stunned if he's standing next to the Vampire, too. So on a roll of 1, you lose the action AND someone goes stunned.

Make that a standing Thrall and I think you've got a really good basis for a test rule. (Standing because, again, you should get penalized for failing the roll, so stunning an already-stunned thrall should be out.)

Slightly easier version: If the Thrall is standing, he immediately falls prone. If no standing Thrall is adjacent, the Vampire is prone.

So that's a pretty good on-pitch version, IMO. A good starting point, at any rate. Continually passing out from lack of blood might seem a bit silly, but no more so than continually running of the field to be absolutely useless, IMO.

-Chet

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 04:15 PM

Undisclosed
Sigh, now I have to find 3 teams for the new MBBL. I enjoyed injuring my thralls! (And Pro a trait??) Sad

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 04:57 PM

I would like this new version a lot. It's simple and effective.

OrtharRrithOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2003 - 02:14 PM

As a Vamp player I too like this idea.

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 05:53 AM

My gut feeling is that I prefer the old version. I quite liked the injuring the Thralls idea and it made the Vamps the proper stars of the team.

The new version seems like the Thralls will be doing most of the work and supporting the vampires who will be doing the bashing on the line, because the Vamps will move last.

I realise they are still experimental though and could live with playtesting the new rules. I might even like them once i change tectics a bit Smile

Boom! He's on his back!

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 07:09 AM

Good point. I don't think we want a team where the thralls are more important than the vampires. I retract my earlier comment. This might not be such a good idea after all. In terms of balance, it seems fine. In terms of fluff though, it's not as good as the old one.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 07:33 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
. In terms of balance, it seems fine. In terms of fluff though, it's not as good as the old one.

I long since gave up trying to win fluff battles on the Undead Zombie. As long as the rule works at this point I'll be happy.

Galak

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 09:33 AM

Fluff isn't always the best guide. Crippling the team by making constant injury rolls against the Thralls is just poor mechanics, no matter how fluff-worthy it is. I don't see that much changes here: either the Vamp is alone and goes prone, or a Thrall is adjacent and goes prone (or stunned). Seems "fluffy" enough for me.

-Chet

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic