NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 20, 2024 - 05:36 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Everyone surround the Rat Ogre. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2011 - 07:55 PM

United States of America
You are just lucky it doesn't animate on this forum!!!!

No harm done Trentus...and I can see your point about the politics of it.

Whether a committee is chosen, voted, or someone just steps up with a killer plan for the event, I wish it nothing but the best and will do my best to attend...

....assuming I actually have money then. Its the only reason I'm out for the World Cup unfortunately. Crying or Very sad

Reply with quote Back to top
DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Canada
I think this is a spectacular idea. I think we totally need something that is specific to NA, to show that we can play BB and support BB just as much as Europe.
And I agree with CS, Niagara Falls is a viable option for Eastern Canada, just as much as Toronto or Montreal. I think that being accessible to everyone is key. Even Buffalo or Seattle could be options, because of their proximity to Canada. Since American internal flights are not terribly expensive.

I will gladly volunteer my skills for whatever is required. And would love to help with the discission committee. I think more realistically, this tournament should be every 4 years, so it can alternate with the WC. Simply for the fact that then maybe we can build this up to be a second massive tournament specifically to NA, until the point when we are considered as good an otion as Europe.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Canada
And as much as local coaches will be important, I think they will make up maybe 25% of the attendees, so making it appealing to the other coaches will more important than the local support.

As mentioned before, Ottawa has a decent group of coaches, but they do tend to only attend local tournaments. Same with Vancouver, they have a huge league, but how many of them would travel to a huge tournament outside the region. As I mentioned, local support is important, but external support is supremely more important.

Anyways, I will stop now. Either way, I love the idea. And things like a trophy that can be used every tournament would be awesome.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Canada
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
I think this is a spectacular idea. I think we totally need something that is specific to NA, to show that we can play BB and support BB just as much as Europe.
And I agree with CS, Niagara Falls is a viable option for Eastern Canada, just as much as Toronto or Montreal. I think that being accessible to everyone is key. Even Buffalo or Seattle could be options, because of their proximity to Canada. Since American internal flights are not terribly expensive.

I will gladly volunteer my skills for whatever is required. And would love to help with the discission committee. I think more realistically, this tournament should be every 4 years, so it can alternate with the WC. Simply for the fact that then maybe we can build this up to be a second massive tournament specifically to NA, until the point when we are considered as good an otion as Europe.

Completely agree with you DR on all but one thing and will gladly volunteer to help with whatever is necessary. I think every 2 years is still the best option to retain interest and because we will be alternating sites held between the US and Canada. Leaves both the US Organizer's and Canadian Organizer's 4 years between organizing a major tournament. The other thing is people will then have more of an opportunity to attend a major event in this lifetime Wink Let's not forget many of us are in our 30's and 40's already, unless we're going to still play when we're all 80 or so I believe every 2 years to be enough of a gap. Just my 2 cents of course, would probably have to be tabled by a committee once there is one in place.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Canada
      jrock56 wrote:
Let's not forget many of us are in our 30's and 40's already, unless we're going to still play when we're all 80 or so I believe every 2 years to be enough of a gap. Just my 2 cents of course, would probably have to be tabled by a committee once there is one in place.

It's a damn good point.. but when you say it like that...... Damn! I feel old! Surprised

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 07:57 PM

United States of America
I agree that every 2 years is paramount. This event is designed for us by us. If non NA people want to attend they are welcome (They should pay more like out of state tuition Razz )

We are growing here in the US as more people join, and more events are being held (and getting more experienced) to make the draw greater. I am sure that a number cruncher can tell us how many people in the US/CAN played in a NAF event here in NA.

I would also suggest people being able to compete and not be on a team.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Canada
WellI would like to throw my services up for hire. I am in NO WAY interested in trying to organize the first event on my own! But I will gladly offer help to any T.O. who does.

I would like to offer the suggestion that every North American tourney that is run should make every effort possible to have at least one rep come out to the event, even if the T.O. themselves are not able to make it. The rep would be bringing a symbol, or something that is representative of that tournament. I think it would be great to see a collection in one place at one time.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 09:20 PM

United States of America
I am also throwing my skills into the hat.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 11:51 PM

Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      jrock56 wrote:
Let's not forget many of us are in our 30's and 40's already, unless we're going to still play when we're all 80 or so I believe every 2 years to be enough of a gap. Just my 2 cents of course, would probably have to be tabled by a committee once there is one in place.

It's a damn good point.. but when you say it like that...... Damn! I feel old! Surprised

LOL! Very Happy We're all gettin' there, your not alone in that feeling.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 04:51 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      jrock56 wrote:
      Spazzfist wrote:
      jrock56 wrote:

LOL! Very Happy We're all gettin' there, your not alone in that feeling.

For Spazz & myself its 40 in July, uggghh!

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Canada
I hit the 40 mark last September and it feels great, well as long as all my bits and pieces keep working. Very Happy

flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 08:37 AM

United States of America

I'm on the side of every 4 years alternating with the world cup. That would make this a special event that people may be more inclined to travel for. There are already larger yearly events that draw bigger crowds(zlurpee, spike, gencon, chaos cup), but this should be intended to draw the biggest croud and be a once every 4 years expense to encourage people to travel. More bloodbowl is great, but if you do these kind of things to often, you'll just dilute the attendance and make it not as special.

I also think Niagara would be a viable location with the proximity of Buffalo and Toronto for flights and that it's on the border. But, people would likely have to rent a car. Shooting for winter months would cut down room costs and event costs abit in that area.

For the first one, a random draw for the hosting country would prolly be best and then alternate countries after that. Keeping the event close to the border will likely keep attendance highest.

DarkOrk20Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 09:32 AM

United States of America
I think I like the idea of it being every 4 years also for the reasons that the Dingle mentions. I like it to be in the middle of the years between the World Cup.

I don't necessarily think that it needs to be on/near the border. I enjoy the traveling to other locations. I think there are plenty of cities that wouldn't be that expensive to fly to.

I see a lot of people wanting to help but I don't see anyone actually stepping up.

Any volunteers? I would suggest that there be at least 2 people from each country and then those people can ask for help from those willing to offer support.

We could shoot for a tournament sometime in 2013.

Any comments are welcome!!!

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 11:27 AM

DarkOrk20 wrote:
I think I like the idea of it being every 4 years also for the reasons that the Dingle mentions. I like it to be in the middle of the years between the World Cup.

I don't necessarily think that it needs to be on/near the border. I enjoy the travelling to other locations. I think there are plenty of cities that wouldn't be that expensive to fly to.

I see a lot of people wanting to help but I don't see anyone actually stepping up.

Any volunteers? I would suggest that there be at least 2 people from each country and then those people can ask for help from those willing to offer support.

as the most canadian-european (british are not european, don't know what they are though Very Happy ), I strongly aggree with DarkOrk points. And doing so might even motivate more europeans that you would expect (especially if the tournament is held during summer).

flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 - 12:19 PM

United States of America

Lizardcore wrote:
      DarkOrk20 wrote:

I don't necessarily think that it needs to be on/near the border. I enjoy the travelling to other locations. I think there are plenty of cities that wouldn't be that expensive to fly to.

as the most canadian-european (british are not european, don't know what they are though Very Happy ), I strongly aggree with DarkOrk points. And doing so might even motivate more europeans that you would expect (especially if the tournament is held during summer).

for sure need the Babel fish...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic