NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 12:55 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You're right, he does have very long legs. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Aurora, IL, USA
I think they said it would be a little while till it all gets updated. but either way.. that was a lot of fun! My first tourney, and now I am pumped to get into more. Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Carol Stream
I had a great time there, and it was the second year in a row that I made it to the final round. The turn out was less than anticipated, but with some things that Tom brought up sounds like it will be a great one next year. The winner received a team of his choice professionally painted by the GW 'Eavy Metal team. Awsome, especially for someone like me who can not paint worth a crap.
Here is who won off memory, which is failing me in my old age Wink . Tom mentioned the Chaos Cup site will be updated real soon.

Frank - 1st (Dk Elves)
Dean - 2nd (Skaven)
Valen - MVP
Jim - Most Touchdowns Scored
Mike - Best Painted (Pro Elves)
Phil - Best Sportsman (Amazons)
Alex(?) - Most casualties (2nd year in a row)
Ethan - Fewest touchdowns allowed (Goblin)

In the final, my Rat Orge refused to do anything worth while (as well as being injured in the fisrt turn of 2 of the other games), and my rats were getting knocked out like crazy! Frank played one heck of a game with his Dark Elve team and really deserved to win the final. Good job!

My Skaven team, Warped Vengeance, will be benched for a while and I plan on bringing out my Norse Team to next years Chaos Cup '06!

Here are a few thumbnail pics of the event. The last pic is the Giant ref holding the limited edition coin with the two team captains for the Chaos Cup.

Last edited by avatar666 on Nov 08, 2005 - 06:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 02:00 PM

United States of America
Awesome pics Dean. It was a fun time. Although I choked on Day 2, losing both games and finishing 2-2-1 (WLT), it was still great to see some people I met last year as well as all the new faces.

Hopefully we can continue the support in the Chicago area and get some NAF sanctioned tourneys locally in the meantime before next year's Chaos Cup.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 05:43 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Got the start of a photo album together though I will have to go through it with more detail later.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v506/Xtreme_NAF/Chaos-Cup/

Started out bad for me, Lost my first two matches pretty decidedly. Second one to Valen even Embarassed Wink
Then recovered nicely and won the remaining 3 games.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Carol Stream
Bryan, great job with your pictures. My old 1.3 mp camera didn't focus in on the close up's I took of the painted teams. All 4 teams selected for the Best Painted Category were incredible and I'd say golden daemon quality.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 06:43 PM

United States of America
looks like it was fun guys. that pro-elf team was damn nice!

looks like brian forgot his gimmick for this tourney Smile

shame the wife kiboshed me, would've loved to have played you guys again!

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 08:12 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Yeah ... there were 18 folks which actually isn't a bad size for a US based tournament outside a convention.

However GW is seriously upping the ante ... the 1st prize for the Chaos Cup was a 16 man team of the winner's choice painted by the GW staff with oversight and assistance by a 14 time Golden Daemon winner ... so for all those of you that had better things to do than attend the Chaos Cup ... Frank thanks you for his wonderful 1st prize.

Doing this from memory:

Winner: Frank Bedford (Solarflare) with Dark Elves
Runner Up: Dean Peltis with Skaven
Most Valuable Coach: Valen with Dwarves

Best Painted: Michael (need to get last name) with a very incredible looking Pro Elf team.

Most TDs outside of the top 3 awarded above: Jim Morgan's Chaos Dwarves

Least TDs allowed outside of the top 3: Ethan Rippon's Goblins

Most CAS: Alex Schutte with Khemri

Best Sportsman: Philip (need to get last name) with Amazons

==========================

... it should be noted that Valen tied for Best Sportsman (so I don't know why you guys give him such a hard time).

For all the critics of the Chaos Cup ... at least we have GW's backing which isn't easy to get for SG events. They have a permanent stadium for the event. There is a permanent spot in the Bunker for the Chaos Cup trophy and a plaque showing the winners from each year. They are making etched crystal trophies for the top 3 winners and the GW staff painted 16 man team is just about the best first place prize I've ever seen offered for any BB event.

Why it doesn't get more players ... got me for now. US geographics are a serious pain to deal with. But they have already agreed on the date for next year and they are going to offer the same 1st prize next year and with the double NAF points as well ... I'm hoping the tournament breaks 30 to 40 players next year ... we'll see.

To help increase draw we did discuss this as an option already and GW agreed:

The other thing GW and I talked about doing is the below for next year's Chaos Cup.

1) Attendance for the Chaos Cup will be $20.
2) If you attended in 2005 and bring a friend, you get $10 off your entry fee for each friend up to 2 friends OR an extra limited edition Chaos Cup figure for each friend (your choice of the 2 options) ... however if you can bring 3 friends or more you'll get free entrance and an extra figure for each person you bring in your group ... (so bring 4 friends and get in free + 5 extra figures)
3) If you did not attend last year and bring 1 to 2 friend, you each get in for $15.
4) If you did not attend last year and and there are 4 or more in your group, you each get in for $15 and each get an extra limited edition Chaos Cup figure.

Add this to the 1st place 16 man team painted prize ... and we are hoping for some pretty good draw to visit.

Galak

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 - 08:34 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      gken1 wrote:
looks like it was fun guys. that pro-elf team was damn nice!

looks like brian forgot his gimmick for this tourney Smile

The Elf team was unreal.
I have several sketches for my gimmick for GenCon next year. Wink

StoutYoungbloodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 07:36 AM

Undisclosed
Hey Bobbo,

Played my Amazons and had 3 wins & 2 ties to come in 4th overall after Gavin. Won best Sportsman, though.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 07:50 AM

United States of America
what's the date for the next Chaos Cup?

I think the current time frame is bad for most people in the US. Most people are traveling for thanksgiving and the holidays and a November tourney puts too much impact on them. Also like VTdoogie said in another thread, it's football season and many alumni go to their college games or watching pro games. A summer tourney in the June time frame when people aren't in school and such would be best I think. People will come if the time frames better, the first CC was in August if I remember correctly and had the best draw.
If people are forced to decide between family vacation and bloodbowl, family vacations will win out almost every time.

Just some thoughts if you want more outside midwest people to come.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 08:31 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

gken1 wrote:
what's the date for the next Chaos Cup?

I think the current time frame is bad for most people in the US. Most people are traveling for thanksgiving and the holidays and a November tourney puts too much impact on them. Also like VTdoogie said in another thread, it's football season and many alumni go to their college games or watching pro games. A summer tourney in the June time frame when people aren't in school and such would be best I think. People will come if the time frames better, the first CC was in August if I remember correctly and had the best draw.
If people are forced to decide between family vacation and bloodbowl, family vacations will win out almost every time.

Just some thoughts if you want more outside midwest people to come.

Really early November interferes with Thanksgiving? Never would have had that thought cross my mind.

June is completely out of the question as I'm on vacation that entire month on the beach.

July doesn't work well either for two reasons ... 1) 4th of July is a big summer travel holiday and 2) if you avoid the 4th of July you'll put the tournament within weeks of the GenCon Bowl.

August is out because of GenCon.

I think the tournament is well placed ... I think folks just didn't see the reasons to come. As for the best attendance the 1st year. Lots of folks flew over from Europe, it was the 1st event, and JJ attended. All of those factors are very big deals to that 1st year attendance number.

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 08:51 AM

United States of America
It's during school season so college kids are pretty much out unless they live in the area.

If you have kids and are traveling for Thanksgiving/christmas, it's really close to do "another" trip and away from family. Need to spread things out. I think May should be considered then. I understand you have other committments during the summer but if you want to maximize attendence, summer is the time to have it. I also understand the Bloodwieser is in May, but I really doubt we are competing with the same crowd as the bloodwieser.

if you want people from outside the midwest, I think the summer would get more people. If not, you'll probably max out around high 20's/low 30's. People have more free time in the summer, I think that's pretty much a given.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Aurora, IL, USA
Whatever works for you guys.. I know that the local people to the Chicago Bunker (Downers Grove), and going to be recruiting much more next year. I game there all the time, so I know for one.. I will be trying my best to get attendence up.

I think it just comes down to telling friends who tell friends.

StoutYoungbloodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 11:06 AM

Undisclosed
      gken1 wrote:
It's during school season so college kids are pretty much out unless they live in the area.

... I think May should be considered then...

Early November is great, most colleges have Midterms done by then and it is early enough not to interfere with Thankgiving.

May is when most colleges have finals. Personally, when I was in college, the only things I thought about in May were finishing finals and finding another job for the summer. I don't think that would be the most optimal time esspecially since it would compete with the Blood Bowl. I know, eventually, I want to go to both.

I agree with Tom about a July/August event. I would be able to go to one but not both.

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 11:07 AM

It was definitely a great time. I would have liked to play Valen a game and leaving Hooters early was a bummer (althought I at least didn't get caught in the flood/rainstorm), but overall it was a blast.

All of my opponents were fun to play against, and I finished all of my games with only a tiny bit of nudging from Tom (finishing all my games was my stated goal because, well, sometimes I play too slowly).

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic