NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 05:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Double skulls.. and no re-roll rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 - 06:50 AM

mikeyc222 wrote:
but what if you are the ONLY low TR team in a league where you don't choose who your opponents are but are told who they are. what then? you are DOOMED to be decimated every single match. in open format leagues i can see where it may be a problem but with structured leagues you might as well drop out. then again, if you play in a league like mine and even consider dropping out you are threatened with not being aloowed back in the league because you messed up the "careful planning of their season." so your statement isn't really applicable in all situations. only in open format leagues.

Open format leagues are the only league format mentioned in the LRB. By definition, a closed-format league has created a house rule problem. The league needs to generate its own solution. If the league decides that extra MVPs are a good solution, that's great. But that problem doesn't really apply to the LRB version of the game, so it doesn't need the same fix.

-Chet

Reply with quote Back to top
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 - 07:05 AM

Indigo wrote:
I think we need to bear in mind the cards are never coming back. Is it not going to be better to focus on some new handicap tables instead?

Cards could make a comeback, in theory. It simply won't be a GW-sponsored comeback. Consider:

Indigo wrote:
I personally dislike the "sticking things onto playing cards" ideas too, using tables in a book is neater for one thing, and you can't "lose" an entry in the table like you can a card Wink And it's a helluva lot less fiddly!

Cards offer one advantage over a table: surprise. This means that you can create situation-dependent circumstances that dictate when you can play the card. A table loses much of the flexibility - accordingly, the LRB table is built to be played pre-game. Why pretend the surprise element exists when it's clear that it will be negated by the table format?

Well, you "pretend" so that you can create more interesting special plays, of course. Consider the table used in my league. It is a table - we've simply transferred everything over to some very sharp, laminated Special Play cards emblazoned with our league's logo. Very nice!

But you can use the table or the cards. GW could even use such a table officially, perhaps...and then rely on an independent organization like the NAF to provide the printed material.

Think that's financially impossible? Consider: We printed and laminated each 36-card deck at a cost of $5 US. That's it. Think that wouldn't drive up membership in this organization? Think again Smile

Now, back to one last point:

Mordredd wrote:
I have now had the chance to read through Tutenkharnage's table. Looks good to me, though I notice that the jacks/queens/kings weren't used.

The table could be expanded with another 12 entries, and a D8 used for the tens column instead of a D6. More variety = more fun.

People could then roll on the table, or buy a cheap deck and draw cards instead. (Lose a card? Chuck the lot and buy a new one.)

The table could certainly be expanded. However, I was satisfied with the size of the deck relative to two factors:

1. Ability to be used as a D66 table
2. Manageability

The first point isn't essential - as you noted, you could use a D8 to cover some added possibilities. But the second was very important. The deck is very manageable, and much easier to balance at a reasonable number of entries. Sure, the cards aren't perfectly "equal" - but I believe they're all "balanced," which is a different issue. As my assistant commish commented to me last night, "Some cards will always be viewed as the best, and some will always be viewed as the worst. That's just the way things work."

I'm going to pull a Monty Python and just end this skit abruptly.

Cheers!

-Chet

SjapieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2003 - 07:45 AM

Belgium
Our league is using the current handicap table but we've taken out a couple of the lousy results and included a couple new ones to replace them. The league has a set number of games and teams having to play one another have the same number of games under their belt. Still in case something like losing 2 or 3 players happens sending you down to the bottom of the league, we have included the extra MVP's. It is working out very well.

kaltenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2003 - 03:55 AM

Intresting, in our league we use both! Because we play two games against each team we play one with the cards and one with the table - it is up to the players which game they play with which set of hadicap, but it seems to balance out quite nicely.

Download the SWARMM BloodBowl League Spreadsheet!

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2004 - 11:22 AM

Quote:

Its bloodbowl, if you want a "fair" strategy I might suggest chess... Dirty tricks, unforseen events and luck in general are a big part of what makes a league colourful and its usually the way trophies are won and lost...

Amen brother.

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic