NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 02:48 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That's ok - he has Regenerate. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2004 - 08:45 PM

Well, here's how i see it, from top to bottom. B = bashing, A = agility, M = middle or average. I should have said top fourth vs bottom 3 fourths.

B,B,M,M,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,A,A,A,B,A,B,B,B,A,B,M,M,A,B,B,A,A,M,A,A,B,A,B,B,A,A,B,B,B,B,B,A,M,A,M

The first agility team in the tournament came in 12th place. There were 9 bashing teams above it.

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2004 - 08:54 PM

I had fewer categories than you. Ogres in my book are a bashing team, and at low TR so are norse (all block) and necromantic (2 guys with frenzy + claw, cheap dirty players and regeneration).

Skaven are agility, and so are halflings. I rank goblins as average since they can bash pretty effectively with 2 big guys and secret weapons.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: ..  PostPosted: Aug 22, 2004 - 10:14 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Great job Tom. I wanted to thank you for a very fun weekend. Despite the fact that I still do not have my first win vs. an NAF player! Laughing

Tom do you still need me to go have a talk with that GenCon Organiser for you? Laughing

I'll be there next year for sure! Just as long as I get the time off from work.

Thanks goes out to Jim (OMM) as well. Thanks for being a great roomate for the weekend. I really enjoyed hanging out with you this weekend & being your drinking buddy. "Jim your a Dog... woof woof!" Razz (long story) Many beers many laughs! Laughing

Thanks also goes out to Brian (Cyber Hare) & Rene for being great travle buddy's! Thanks soooo very much for picking me up & driving me to the Gen Con. Also thanks for putting up with my useless babbling about mostly nothing! Laughing (Hey its a long car ride, ya run out of stuff to talk about real quickly after 7+ hours in a car!)

I also wanted to thank all of my new friends that I made this trip. I'm terrible with names but here goes...

Steve (Snots) thanks for the 16 sided die, that was really cool! You & I gotta go out drinking again! (Next time I'll try & keep up! Embarassed )

Val I'll look foward to discussing conversion ideas with you in the future, and maybe next time we meet you could teach me a thing or two!

Marcus, debating various BB topics was great. I understand why you won the most sporting player award, after knowing you for such a short time.

Matt you still look like "Josh" stay away from forrests man! Laughing

As far as everyone else I met this weekend (I'm drawing blank on names but I still remember the faces) thanks to all of you as well for a great time! Oh & if I messed up anyone names sorry, let me know.

Thanks.

Clan-Skaven (Rod)

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

ZarhanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 07:37 AM

Had a great time, went 2 wins, 2 ties and 0 losses. I think the best game was my first round match up my Khemri versus another Khemri team. Our teams were nearly identical, however I took a throw ra, intead of a 3rd reroll. Anyways, I enjoyed all my games, and the con much better. My high elves got dominated last year it felt good not to have 70 percent of my team out. I allowed 1 run to two of the guys who ended up with 11 TD's for my only 2 TD's allowed during the tourney.
As far as 5 games next year, It's not that I wouldn't enjoy another game, however the timing isn't really great. Perhaps toggling with the start time each day would be more apealing to myself. Tom mentioned starting at 8 AM on Saturday, I would recommend starting both days at 8 AM, letting out earlier Friday. Anyways, thats my two cents. And thankx Tom, you taught me how multiple block is used, and I got to use it, yeah two pushes. Darn Amazons. I will keep checking as I'm unsure where I finished in the tournament, place wise.

Bobbo

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 09:21 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Tournament Results:
http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/GenCon2004_TournamentResults.htm

zarhan ... you tied with 4 people for 9th place out of 46 coaches.

Just entered in all the NAF results for the tournament as well so your NAF rankings should now reflect GenCon. If I could not get all the materials up on my website before the event ... at least we are cruising now after it.

As for an 8 am start on Friday. The problem with that is that a lot of coaches are just coming to GenCon for the 1st time on that day. You need a little bit of buffer that morning for them to find your tournament and in many cases get tickets to play in it.

Galak

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 01:32 PM

Hey what do ya know I came in last Wink Though it's odd that even after missing a round I still didn't come in last in points. All well, I tried Smile

Sorry to everyone for not being more social. There are just sooo many things to do at Gencon that it's hard to get them all in with the time available.

Tom, as always it's a blast to be at Gencon. I can't guaruntee I'll be the odd man out forever but I can say for sure that I'd be glad to help out next year.

A couple of suggestions for next year. Don't pick the best painted teams yourself. It'll save on the agrivation. Confused State how many teams you'll be picking up front. That'll also save on the arguments.

If you're going to stop games at a specific time then be firm. Everyone should get the same amount of time to play unless you're letting people finish their games. Personally I think people should finish their games but if it is timed then you've gotta be firm and call it. It's the only way to be fair to everyone. Also if you're only allowing 2 hours per round I'd very stongly suggest encouraging people to use timers.

I know you're set on having 5 games for next year. Cool, it'll make the event that much better. Just find a way to give people that Saturday afternoon off. I know I saw a fair amount of BB coaches scurring around the dealer room as I was after the tourney. I think it'll come back to you being firm on the time Saturday morning.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 04:39 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

CyberHare wrote:
A couple of suggestions for next year. Don't pick the best painted teams yourself. It'll save on the agrivation. Confused State how many teams you'll be picking up front. That'll also save on the arguments.

Agreed ... although the guy that left the tournament I think over my comments on his paint job stiffed me for the tournament entry fee. The ticket he gave me was for another game and I didn't catch it so I'm out that cash. Not bitter ... and I'd like to believe that it was an honest mistake ... but the irony is not lost on me. But lesson learned.

Quote:
If you're going to stop games at a specific time then be firm. Everyone should get the same amount of time to play unless you're letting people finish their games.

Now I did try and be firm. When I called time ... I meant it ... but I allowed folks extra time if I thought I had it to give. The whole tournament ran only 30 minutes over on Friday and was only 10 minutes over on Saturday ... so I thought we did pretty good for an event that sized.

Quote:
I know you're set on having 5 games for next year. Cool, it'll make the event that much better. Just find a way to give people that Saturday afternoon off.

Firm schedule for next year:
8 to 10 Game 4
10 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 12:15 Game 5
12:15 - 1:00 Break
1:00 - 1:30 Awards

That should be very doable and gives folks 4 1/2 hours in the vendor area the next day.

The other option that I'd be interested to hear feedback about would be this for Friday:

8 to 9 Registration
9 to 11 Game 1
11 to 11:30 Break
11:30 to 1:30 Game 2
1:30 to 3:30 Break
3:30 to 5:30 Game 3

This schedule would give folks 2 hours to get lunch and check out the dealer room along with a 1/2 hour before the dealer room closed on Friday.

All total ... that would be 2 1/2 hours on Friday and 4 1/2 on Saturday for 7 hours total of useable time off during the tournament.

Now that might be a better format. Thoughts???

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Aug 25, 2004 - 05:47 AM; edited 1 time in total

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 07:28 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Now I did try and be firm. When I called time ... I meant it ... but I allowed folks extra time if I thought I had it to give. The whole tournament ran only 30 minutes over on Friday and was only 10 minutes over on Saturday ... so I thought we did pretty good for an event that sized.

It's not a matter of being on schedule it's a matter of fairness for all involved. Some people actually stopped their games when you called time and others continued to play. Those who stopped got cheated out of game time where they could have been making casualties and td's. I realise that there were games that started late and it sort of threw things off but there are better ways to handle it than letting some play longer than others. I really hope that you can come to the Death Bowl this year so that you can see how I do it.

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Firm schedule for next year:
8 to 10 Game 4
10 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 12:15 Game 5
12:15 - 1:00 Break
1:00 - 1:30 Awards

That should be very doable and gives folks 4 1/2 hours in the vendor area the next day.

It's doable, very tight but doable.

Da_ScumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 08:21 PM

Undisclosed
Once again the Goblins fear and amaze their opponents... Laughing

...I think I'm going to get into even more trouble with the rest of them with my team's incredible ability to COMPLETELY wreck the bell curve in figuring out just how bad they really are supposed to be. Wink

(I'd recommend build a stadium, that home field advantage has been killer since I started using it...)

A HUGE "Huzzah!" to Tom for one hell of a great tournament...just let me know who stiffed you on the money and I'll go goon him for you. Twisted Evil

Thank you for all the great opponents, even having my green butt handed to me by the Legendary Old Man Monkey was well worth the trip...even if my ass is going to be sore for a week...

...now time for the boys to go celebrate 4th place with the Maggotettes! Then we're prepping for the Spike!

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 - 09:36 PM

Undisclosed
Nothing legendary about this OMM - fortunate to be able to travel and meet so many good coaches and make friends with so many good people. Great to have a game, DS, and look forward to seeing you, and all the rest, in a few short weeks!

A great hurray for the Maggotettes - long may they rule their strange green world!

ZarhanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 07:19 AM

I like the time table you set up, and definately like the competition at GEN CON. I am going to try to make it to the Halfling Mug next year, I thought you were involved in that one as well, I could be mistaking. you gave us a sheet with the proposed 2007 changes, and you guessed it I lost it, darn gen con. Could you give us an url for it.
And thanx for another great tournament. And I only have one question for everyone, Will there be a three time champion next Gen Con, or will he be dethroned?

Zarhan

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 08:53 AM

United States of America
The reason I like galak's rule that all fouling cas count towards Most Cas award: Khemri team is guaranteed Most Cas. Gives other teams a shot Smile

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 10:02 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

zarhan wrote:
Could you give us an url for it.

http://fumbbl.com/files/GLN/home/m0nty/vault1p51_refsheet_v1bw.PDF

Quote:
And I only have one question for everyone, Will there be a three time champion next Gen Con, or will he be dethroned?
Wolfgang is one of the best technical players I've ever seen. I think he definitely has what it takes to 3-peat ... we'll see if he comes back to GenCon to go for it. With Beniot taking 2nd when he took 3rd last year definitely proves to me that Blood Bowl is a game of skill with a luck element. So you guys have 2 players that you guys need to worry about next year.

I'm really hoping we can pull in the coaches from overseas at some point beyond Wolfgang.

Galak

Da_ScumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 12:42 PM

Undisclosed
      GalakStarscraper wrote:

Quote:
And I only have one question for everyone, Will there be a three time champion next Gen Con, or will he be dethroned?
Wolfgang is one of the best technical players I've ever seen. I think he definitely has what it takes to 3-peat ... we'll see if he comes back to GenCon to go for it. With Beniot taking 2nd when he took 3rd last year definitely proves to me that Blood Bowl is a game of skill with a luck element. So you guys have 2 players that you guys need to worry about next year.

I'm really hoping we can pull in the coaches from overseas at some point beyond Wolfgang.

Galak

Pah! If I hadn't had such a disasterous round of Dice betraying me against OMM the Goblins would have shown him what-for! Very Happy My fans would have made sure he paid for visiting MY home stadium! Worship

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 01:40 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

For those wondering since the Chaos Cup might be using rules similar to GenCon ... here is what worked for the 1st through 5th placed players:

1st place: Wolfgang's Undead:
2 Mummies
2 Wights
3 Ghouls
2 Skeletons
3 Zombies
3 Rerolls
5 Fan Factor
(Wolfgang also made good use of the Necromancer which allowed him to add a Zombie to his team as soon as an opponent died).
Skills taken in order: 2 wights took Tackle; 1 Ghoul took Block; 2 Ghouls took Block

2nd place: Benoit's Chaos Dwarf:
1 Minotaur
6 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
5 Hobgoblin
4 Rerolls
7 Fan Factor
Skils taken in order: 2 CD took Mighty Blow; 1 Hobgoblin took Strip Ball; Hobgoblin took Sure Hands and a CD took Guard

3rd place: Frank's Humans:
2 Blitzer
3 Catcher
2 Thrower
6 Lineman
3 Rerolls
2 Fan Factor
Skill taken in order: 2 Catchers took Block; Blitzer took Pro; Blitzer took Mighty Blow and Lineman took Kick

4th place: David's Goblins
2 Trolls
Ripper Bolgrot
Fungus the Loon
7 Goblins
2 Rerolls
8 Fan Factor
Skills taken in order: 1 Goblin took Dirty Player; 1 Troll took Guard; 1 Troll took Block

5th place (tie): Steve's Ogres
5 Ogres
6 Goblins
2 Rerolls
2 Fan Factor
Skills taken in order: 1 Ogre took Sure Hands; 1 Goblin took Side Step; 2 Ogres take Guard

5th place (tie): Jim's Chaos Dwarves
1 Minotaur
2 Bull Centaur
5 Chaos Dwarf Blockers
3 Hobgoblin
2 Rerolls
1 Fan Factor
1 Apothecary
Skills taken in order: 2 Bull Centaurs take Break Tackle; 1 Hobgoblin takes Sure Hands; 2 CDs take Guard

Just to give you some ideas of the rosters and skill choices that won the tournament this year.

============================================

Okay made a quick and dirty picture page for GenCon. ... the pictures haven't been resized yet ... so they are huge. High speed users only should check out this link.

I have several shots of the teams for Xtreme, Snots, Wolfgang, OMM, Da_Scum. Also several shots of Mrin's pitch.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/2004/GenConPicList.html

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic