NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 23, 2024 - 04:16 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
I could really use a re-roll... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 - 06:31 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Most Coaches to attend a tournament
Zlurpee Bowl VI 68 Coaches

Most NAF Coaches to attend a tournament
Zlurpee Bowl VI 68 Coaches

Most NAF Games played at a tournament
Zlurpee Bowl VI 203 Games played

Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 - 05:34 PM

United States of America
and your point is ... Wink

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2011 - 04:00 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      Grumbledook wrote:
just butting my english opinion in... ;]

I agree every four years alternate between the world cup seems to be best

as the only coach (afaik) who has been to all four majors, there doesn't seem to be many coaches from american or canada going to tournaments in each others countries

if you have a world cup and 2 north american cups in the space of every 3 years I think you are going to limit attendance

I've been to the chaos cup twice and the spike when it was in toronto, there are also now it seems more tournaments for north americans to attend than before

the choice has been growing well and I'm pleased to see that though (I may be wrong) it appears to me there aren't that many coaches travelling a great deal to tournaments

obviously the distances are greater than we have in europe, though there is nearly a tournament every weekend in the UK now and unfortunately due to that and the fact the £ is worth a lot less now there seems to be a lot less travel around european countries than there was initiall with fewer tournaments to go to

I think the expression of don't run before you can walk could well apply here, I understand the enthusiasm though it isn't like there is a shortage of tournaments in your calender already that you could encourage people to go to

the two that see the most foreign coaches over here now are both the Blood Bowl and the Dungeonbowl (more UK coaches travel for that than any other in europe now)

feel free to ignore me but maybe some outside perspective could help, it is easier to do more if the demand is there than to fizzle out cause you spread yourselves too thin to begin with

Sorry guys for coming into this discussion late, but I did actually take the time to read the entire thread from top to bottom before posting....

I totally agree with Grum on this one. As much as I would love to see a North American Team Challenge, one run by North Americans, one run every 4 years in years that alternate with the World Cup, I really don't see it feasible without other large tournaments in North America suffering numbers wise.

Tom and I, and now Johnny P/Bryan and I have intentially started to host the Spike! Magazine in Vancouver and the Chaos Cup in Chicago within a week from each other to try to encourage cross travelling - not only for the Europeons but for the North Americans as well, in an effort to boost numbers for the 2 North American Majors. Creating yet another large tournament, albeit one that is only run every 4 years, imho is only going to exasperate this. It sounds like too much bread and not enough butter.

The discussion has obviously progressed over 7 pages, but the primary reason behind it was to "show Europe that North America can get enough coaches together to justify putting in a bid to host the actual NAF World Cup" one year. North America, like it or not, is always going to be cursed by geography. The sheer concentration of coaches in Europe as well as cheap flights makes it easy for cross travelling, North America not so much.

Our BB travelling is usually confined to road trips - whether the event is large or not. I drove with 3 others to Calgary in 2007 for the Spike!; my brother and another member took a flight down to L.A. for WCQ 2010, and a dozen+ of us are driving to Seattle this weekend for the Rat City Rumble. But for the most part there is a sphere of travelling that North American tourneys will get that European tourneys are not limited to imho, and as such North America will never see those numbers every four years.

But even if they did do it once, again other tournaments in North America would suffer as a result numbers wise due to the fact that cross travelling for a BB tournament is a much bigger deal here than it is in Europe.

The only valid reason for setting up a NA Team Challenge imho would be to set up a Team Challenge that North Americans can play in due to the fact that the NAFWC is too far/too expensive/blah blah blah. It's meant to compensate for the fact that North Americans don't travel to Europe for BB often to play in the WC. I'm totally against that by the way because we already have a WC for Blood Bowl now, and I totally agree that it should stay in Europe for all the reasons above.

That said, I agree with Ian that the only viable location in North America for WC would be Vegas. It's the only city that I believe might get some serious numbers from Europe and elsewhere - because without them you will never see numbers like you will in Nottingham, Amsterdam, Paris or anywhere in Europe for WC.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the length but I was responding to the entire thread. For those who have invested a lot of thought and text into this idea my sincere apologies for what sounds like a overly pessimistic post but I'm just writing what I think is realistic.

Gj.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Canada
Unfortunately, I have to agree somewhat with generaljason. As much as this would be an awesome idea, the main hinderance would be location and travelling. I mean, its almost the same cost for me to fly to Vancouver as it is to fly to Amsterdam. And as much as I like a North American tournament that is comperable to hte WC, the reality is that it will deter from other tournaments. I think if we concentrated on attending other tournaments instead of making a new one, that would help out the NA BB community more than making a new tournament.

I would love to go to the Chaos Cup, Spike Zlurpee, GenCon or any other large attendance tournament, but finances dictate otherwise. If/when I do have the money, I would be just as happy making it to one of them as much as going to a North American Championship tournament.

Either way, if this does happen, I will try and supprt it as best as I can. But I tihnk the same issues will arise as with people travelling to all tournaments.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Toronto, ON
The mistake here is trying to compare this event to a European one. If 80 people is large for NA, then shoot for that. I don't think we should cry defeat just because it wouldn't be as big as a European tournament.

For most people over here, 80 people would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 12:17 PM
Former President

England
Butting in from England..

A 4 year cycle staggered between WC years would probably attract more Europeans and should minimise the impact on the other larger NA tournies.
So shooting for 2013 is my suggestion, two years after the WC and two years before the next one would be the optimum time to draw the euros over. Plenty of time to sort the details and still get it announced a year in advance during 2012. That timeframe wouldn't surprise me to see upwards of 50 euro coaches over. (Well as long as you don't decide on holding it in Bon Temps or somewhere.... Smile )

Just sharing thoughts...

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 01:39 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:
The mistake here is trying to compare this event to a European one. If 80 people is large for NA, then shoot for that. I don't think we should cry defeat just because it wouldn't be as big as a European tournament.

That's not what I'm saying - I think 80 coaches at any North American tournament would be awesome so we are totally on the same page there. My issue is that having a Team Challenge in North America every 4 years would only take away potential teams going to World Cup instead.

World Cup 2011 in Amsterdam has no North American teams, and it's not because we don't have individual players from Canada and the U.S. that wouldn't be able to go, but that it is extremely hard to get 6 coaches from a North American club together and able to register a team. Myself, my brother, and 2 other guys could have gone from our club - but I honestly couldn't tell you who the other 2 guys would have been.

As Dwarfrunner pointed out, going to Toronto to Vancouver is the same as going from Toronto to Amsterdam. If North America was able to put together a Team event that could get 6 player-teams from clubs scattered around the New World to attend once every 4 years then why not just attend World Cup then?

I agree with James that overall a Team Challenge wouldn't hurt the Major Tournaments in North America (Gencon, Zlurpee, Chaos Cup, Spike!) that much given it's only every 4 years, but I do believe that it would further diminish any chance that 6-man-teams will travel to Europe to participate in the NAF WC.

Again - North America doesn't have one team attending WC this year and I'd like to see that remedied for WC 2015. Imho a North American Team Challenge as much as it would be fun would only make this worse, and I want to see more NA Teams in the WC in the years to come. No teams attending from either Canada or the U.S. is a little embarrassing imho. I'd like to see more effort to get our teams in Europe instead.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
      generaljason wrote:
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:

That's not what I'm saying - I think 80 coaches at any North American tournament would be awesome so we are totally on the same page there. My issue is that having a Team Challenge in North America every 4 years would only take away potential teams going to World Cup instead.

World Cup 2011 in Amsterdam has no North American teams, and it's not because we don't have individual players from Canada and the U.S. that wouldn't be able to go, but that it is extremely hard to get 6 coaches from a North American club together and able to register a team. Myself, my brother, and 2 other guys could have gone from our club - but I honestly couldn't tell you who the other 2 guys would have been.

As Dwarfrunner pointed out, going to Toronto to Vancouver is the same as going from Toronto to Amsterdam. If North America was able to put together a Team event that could get 6 player-teams from clubs scattered around the New World to attend once every 4 years then why not just attend World Cup then?

I agree with James that overall a Team Challenge wouldn't hurt the Major Tournaments in North America (Gencon, Zlurpee, Chaos Cup, Spike!) that much given it's only every 4 years, but I do believe that it would further diminish any chance that 6-man-teams will travel to Europe to participate in the NAF WC.

Again - North America doesn't have one team attending WC this year and I'd like to see that remedied for WC 2015. Imho a North American Team Challenge as much as it would be fun would only make this worse, and I want to see more NA Teams in the WC in the years to come. No teams attending from either Canada or the U.S. is a little embarrassing imho. I'd like to see more effort to get our teams in Europe instead.

That is fantastic that you and 3 of your friends could actually make it to Europe and compete in this WC.. in fact, why not look for 2 more Americans to complete your team?

I think the fact of the matter is, it would be hard for many gaming groups in the this country to find 6 people who can AFFORD to make a 1200$ trip to Europe for WC. It has nothing to do with lack of interest.. Hosting a NA Championship would allow teams from North America to compete in a large scale tournament without having to pay AS MUCH (it wouldn't be cheap to travel all over the country) to play.

I can honestly say that is 100% of the reason why I won't be attending WC2011.. funding and I'm sure there are loads of American and Canadian players out there thinking the same thing..

And worst case.. we attempt to run it and it doesn't work

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Toronto, ON
I guess our thing doesn't have to be a team event. It could be something else. Just having a big NAF event would be great.

BTW I am pretty sure there is a Canadian team going to the WC, so that's one for this year Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Canada
      generaljason wrote:

Hey GJ, just to let you know there is one Canadian team confirmed and possibly a second in the works as we have 2 spots registered on the WC list #38/39 I believe. There are also some players from the US attending as well that I know of (I think there is one team and a few individuals) So there will be a North American presence at the WC this year. That being said, I do agree with much of what you said above. It is hard to estimate whether a NA tourney would impact numbers going to the WC in Europe though as only having one of the events every 2 years is enough of a distance between them that it would be possible to plan on attending both. Anyhow just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents Very Happy

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 05:47 AM

United States of America
This concept in no way infringes on the WC or pointed Events
The people that are going to play are going to play regardless of the other stuff. It was very unfortunate that the recession has been so prolonged and it has hurt long travels to Europe.
We all weigh which event(s) we will attend for a given year and allocate the appropriate funds. Yes we would like to attend them all but it breaks down to simple money.

There is NO reason whatsoever to have 6 man teams. It is beyond comprehension. 3 or 4

Vegas is the most alluring location.

We are going through the venues for the West Coast Quake 2012. I believe we have selected a location and date more than a year out. We have options for more people (just gotta pay for the space). Group discount on the hotel. It is not on the strip and not 5 star. About a 7 minute stroll from the strip. Rooms are large and VERY affordable. (I think you can fit 6 or so in a room (and sleep in beds or pull out couch, we are not even talking floor)

Here is Pasadena I can get us convention space (sitting & tables) for 1000 people or more (Up to 80,000 square feet in one room). (80,000 sf is about 2000 people with tables and chairs and room to spare)

It is all simple logistics
You can contract space for more or less space if you use deposits and secure by a certain date.

Say for example you want to do Vegas 2013
Start a sign up sheet to get loose numbers (while you are shopping around for places that holds different amounts)
Open non-refundable registration 6 or so months out but give kickbacks
Then either lower the rewards (If you register by xx date you get a limited edition y)
The have a larger sum at the door

Yes it is for NA, Great if Euro wants to attend. Several from Europe will attend but not in any great number so it all washes out. Few of us will be able to attend WC at any of the events over the next 20 years. I might can afford 1 and take advantage and plan a 3-4 week family trip. The NA I can go to every time. (Plus we have the attraction of Vegas for the cross ponders)(not to mention the 100s of other vacation hotspots in NA)

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I think a lot of points in daloonieshaman's post are good:

- 4 coach per teams

I dont know if there is a tournament in vegas, but an option is to replace it by the NAC. This is what organizers did for the last Eurobowl in France (even if eurobowl is not like other tourneys): that provided the tourney that the locals are used to have at this period, guarantying a minimal attendance, plus teams coming from all over europe.

And as said previously, if some people are motivated enough to organize the first one, just do it and let see what happens !

PS: think about advertising the tournament properly, very few coaches are coming on this website !

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 04:41 PM

United States of America
Simple suggestions:

Each team gets extra pts for having all different races

Each team with (1 or more) Stunty races gets extra pts for playing against a team that does not have Stunty race

Each team gets extra modeling (painting/conversions) points for all teams being themed the same (say they all look like nascarr pit crew of but of difference pit team colors)

Each team gets extra painting points for Painting all 4 team up the same(ish) (they look coherently like part of the larger Team)

PLEASE PLEASE request that players are required to put numbers on the front and rear of the model base so us old forgetful bastards with failing eyes can keep track of players.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 04:50 PM

United States of America
Player Advertising Venues for NAC:
(I like NAC better than NATC more open to players)

Our Own Leagues
Our Own Events
Our Forums
Local (Weirdo ) Game conventions Laughing (like GenCon)
Talk Blood Bowl
NAF
Pod Cast:
    Zlurpee
    Three Die Block
    Others

Heads of Leagues and events in other parts of the world
Handbills (fliers)(volunteer your time a few bucks to print some out)
Business:
    Impact
    Roll Jordan (people)
    Shadowfordge

Every Blood Bowl related Web Site you can think of

We may be able to draw some vendors (depending on who is in town and if someone has something new out to pimp) for demos and free swag

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 07:39 AM

+ Fumbbl wbsite

+ bloodbowl L E forum

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic