NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 11:46 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff fancies Zara! Heard it from Varag..... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject: Questions regarding the Chaos Cup '04 . . .  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 05:41 AM

Undisclosed
Preview
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:22 pm Post subject:
GalakStarscraper wrote:
Hmmmmm ... 2004 becomes the year the US organizers goes it alone:
Quote:
Tom,
Well, I have some bad news. Games Workshop will not be at Gencon this year for several reasons and due to the Regionalization of the country we have a very limited budget on prize support. As of right now I will not be able to support the tournament in the way of prizes or stamping it an official GW event. I am currently working on a long term plan for the Chaos Cup which means that this upcoming year we will not have the proper marketing or promotions to run an awesome Tournament system. We are looking at unfolding the Chaos Cup in 2005. Unless something changes I will be in touch but good luck and have fun.

Joe Krone
Midwest Promotions Manager
Quote:
thanks for the reply Joe ... sorry to hear that ... will there be a Chaos Cup 2004 at all?

Quote:
I think so but we are working on the where, when, how and to what extent.
Joe Krone

I hoping that the Cup can still be held. I'm going to work with Joe to see if I can help him in any way.

Galak

I don't believe I'm often a 'Chicken Little' kind of guy, but the above was posted under the GenCon thread on TBB, and I would like to ask if anyone can shed more light on the Chaos Cup situation. The only answer acceptable to the question "Will there be a Chaos Cup in 2004 at all?" is "YES", not "I think so", especially since the costs of space and trophy were incurred in 2003 and should not be repeated in '04.

I had thought the regionalization of the sales force would be a good thing but surely there is corporate support for ongoing events - I would be amazed that no national sales bugets exists in GW.

Last year's GenCon was a strictly GW event - only Tom can say whether it will remain so. While I'm not at all trying to pick a argument, to me this is an example of the same short-sightedness that caused BB to be dropped years ago. At the least, it indicates a lack of planning and indecisiveness I find troubling.

OK, enough from me - trying not to make a determination without more information. Anyone?

-OMM

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 07:27 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

As a sidenote ... Jim and I are offering our assistance in a couple ways to make sure there is a Chaos Cup.

Jim and I have some ideas that we are presenting to GW-US, so no mass e-mails yet. Give us a second to get some more information. Hopefully we'll have some good information to give on this note soon.

Galak

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 11:45 AM

United States of America
If there's anything I can do, let me know.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 11:49 AM

Undisclosed
Well, if GWUS don't want to host the Chaos Cup, maybe GWUK will step in and hold it Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 12:39 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Darkson wrote:
Well, if GWUS don't want to host the Chaos Cup, maybe GWUK will step in and hold it Wink

I don't think having it will be an issue ... how big it is might be the problem depending on how well GW-US is willing to work with non-GW employees.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 03:17 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Joe had emailed me to say it will be held again in 2004 at Games Day Chicago just like last year.

Galak

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 06:40 PM

Undisclosed
Glad at least to know this, Galak - thanks for the update!

-OMM

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:04 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Unfortunately by not agreeing to move the Chaos Cup to GenCon ... I once again get to fight them for coaches as the two are so close together time wise.

And I'm not bashful. GenCon is a bigger and better run event, and if Team Spain is going to fly over ... I'm going to try to convince them and every other coach thinking of hopping on a play to come to the GenCon Bowl instead of the Chaos Cup.

Do I like this situation ... heck NO! ... but I sent a detailed business case for moving the Chaos Cup to GenCon for 2004 so that we didn't compete for coaches again, and got turned down ... so I wish them luck ... but I'm not going to pull my punches on trying to get folks to come ... didn't last year ... not going to this year either.

My biggest fear is this ... the 2003 Chaos Cup was new last year. GenCon is well known to most Midwest gamers. I had several friends and local leagues go to the Chaos Cup with their spending dollars, because in their own words: "its the US National tournament ... surely its going to be THE big tournament to go to this year." Those same friends have told me that they were disappointed when they got there and realized that it only had 2/3rd the number of coaches as compared to GenCon and realize now that the Chaos Cup wasn't really the one US touranment to save up the pennies to attend. Now we are finding out that the Chaos Cup in 2004 might get even less support in terms of prizes and advertising even if it is held at Games Day Chicago. If that is the case, what happens when the folks that went to the Chaos Cup last year because they though it was the event to attend don't come? If the Chaos Cup only gets 25 coaches showing up what does that do to GW-US's perception of Blood Bowl because they spent 3k USD on the stadium and the Chaos Cup itself.

Now call it self-aggrandizement if you want, but my real fear is that when these two events are within 2 weeks of each other again this year that GenCon could end up killing the Chaos Cup after last year's wounding.

I'm going to be honest and pray that I'm wrong because I hate the fact that the two tournaments have to duke it out. But if I'm right about what I was hearing last year ... then my fears may become true.

We'll see ... I'm still going to try and convince folks like Team Spain and Andy Hall to visit Indy if I can instead of the Windy City. Oh well ... I live for the challenge. Already have emails off to two gaming publications to see if they'll run some ads about the GenCon Bowl for me ... and to GenCon to get the tournament considered a "featured event" which means its gets its own paragraph in the front of the guidebook instead of just being mixed in as 3 line entry along with the other 1,000 tournaments... let the battle for coaches begin.

Galak

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:19 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
Now we are finding out that the Chaos Cup in 2004 might get even less support in terms of prizes and advertising even if it is held at Games Day Chicago

Is that possible?
Sounds like they aren't considering how much they are setting BloodBowl up for failure. I'm worried that the Chaos Cup attendance will be down and they will judge the popularity of the game here on the low attendence there without considering the number of people at GenCon or the lack of effort they want to put into the game. Why did they spend $3,000, to half ass it last year and then do even less this year? The Dungeon Bowl in Germany sounds like it has a lot of good things going for it already, and the BloodBowl is always great. Hopefully the Spike will go for some of the same things the Dungeon Bowl is doing and ignore this mess with the Chaos Cup.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 02:15 AM
Da Warboss

England
lol just a side issue but from what I hear the Spaniards hate being called Team Spain - apparently they are adamant the name is "Spanish Team" Smile I've heard no end of complaints after they printed Team Spain in BBmag Very Happy

NAF #60

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 07:20 AM

Germany
well....I went ot Chaos Cup last year. It was my first BB tournament ever. I was kind of exciting, but I was disappointed. The $60 ($20+$40) could have been invested better. I just read the Dungeon Bowl post (in German) and they offer a much superiro package. It costs 75 Euro (roughly $90), but you get 3 meals Very Happy AND it pays for staying at a youth hostel Cool , plus you get a special Dungeon Bowl 0.5l (quart) glass mug Shocked . You can't beat that!!!!!

The prizes at the CC were kind of lame, except the spiked football. But why spend all that money for the huge CC trophy if it's on stays with GW. For me that's an expensive trap to collect dust.

Not knowing where I'm going to be next year during the time of GC and CC, but hearing all about GenCon and the way it was organized (compared to the lousy way CC was) I would opt for going to GenCon, that's for sure.

Just my 2cents

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 10:29 AM

United States of America
I thought the chaos cup was just fine at 2003 Games Day. 2004 should be just the same.

BBC Lockerroom

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 01:07 PM

Hey Majortusk, welcome to the NAF forums! King

Do you still work on BBC now and then? Still have plans for it?

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 03:19 PM

Undisclosed
Galak, just make sure the powers-that-be (on both sides of the pond) understand the situation. Maybe if GenCon again turns out to be bigger than the Chaos Cup they'll see sense (but knowing GW, probably not Wink ).

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 07:36 PM

United States
      majortusk wrote:
I thought the chaos cup was just fine at 2003 Games Day. 2004 should be just the same.

I agree, I think it should be held at the US Games Day as usual. If that doesn't work out, I'm sure there would be plenty of GT's taking place in the US that would make perfect opportunities to fit in the CC.

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic