NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 05:59 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Groin Strain! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CyberHare
Post subject: Tournament for sale  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 04:16 AM

Well with a heavy heart and after a lot of soul searching I'm retiring from Blood Bowl. I love you guys and I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Blood Bowl bug but life it seems has decided it's time for me to "grow up", as the wife has termed it, and move on a little.

Now that would be all fine and dandy except for the little problem of Death Bowl. I would hate to see the event die. I've loved running it over the last 4 years and I've had the fortune to have some of the best guys in Blood Bowl attend the event over the last 4 years. You guys were always the ones who really made it a success. I'm wondering if there's a soul out there who's interested in purchasing the stadiums and carrying on the event. If not I'm interested in selling the boards individually. The Axe I'm holding on to but I'd be happy to provide it for the tournament each year.

Anyway I wanted to give you local guys the first choice of getting your hands on the stadiums. If anyone is interested PM me and let me know.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Canada
Tell me that this is a joke!

The Deathbowl has always been hailed as the best tournament in Canada by myself and many others (this coming from a fellow TO!) And to think that it would be in the hands of someone else (if anyone at all) is a terrible shame.

I am sorry that you feel the need to "grow up", as there is still room in life to be a responsible adult while still playing with stall metal figures in a board game. I mean, the whole gaming thing is an outlet for us as I am sure it is for you too. We, as adults still need our down time, need our hobbies. My wife knows that my painting and modelling is one thing that helps keep me sane! Only just last night I was in a terrible mood (no particular reason) but as she watched TV, I painted, and she didn't question it, because she knew that it would help me feel better.

The Deathbowl is mor than a tourney to many of us, it is also a chance to get together with friends that we see that one time a year, it is a chance for a road trip and a weekend away. It is a damn good time overall!

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider. However, I think that you would not have already given this some very serious consideration first.

If NAF had a flagpole, it would be at half mast buddy. We are losing one of the best.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I hear you my friend and I tell you honestly that I haven't come to this point easily. It's been in the back of my mind for quite some time now and I almost made an announcement at Death Bowl when you were all there but I didn't want to spoil the weekend or end it on that note.

I don't like the term grow up. It's one my wife used but it's not how I feel about you guys and this hobby. I'm just moving into a different phase in my life. I'm not trying to pin anything on my wife either. Those of you who have been to the DB have met her and know that she helps out as much as the rest of my crew to make the event run. She's always been nothing more than perfect when it comes to accepting my hobby and the time I've devoted to it. I might make the odd joke about her "nagging me" here or there but she's always had more patcience than I would have ever had.

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Canada
WOW Shocked Shocked

This is a surprise!!!!!

This was very sad to read. I am sorry to hear that you have decided to retire from Bloodbowl and from running the Deathbowl.

It was definately the best run tournament around and the one i most look forward to every year.

I totally agree with Craig in saying that you need something in your life to escape and feel like a kid again. I have an extremely busy schedule with work and am always holding meetings, chairing meetings etc but i love to once in a while get away for a weekend and play some bloodbowl with the guys. So i hope your decision was more based on wanting a change, rather then 'growing up'.

Does this mean that you won't be out at all to any of the tournies around Ontario? I hope you at least keep some form of contact.

Anyways, on to the Deathbowl. I for one would not want to see it go. I would be more then happy to negotiate a price with you to purchade the boards etc and keep it running but it would be in Ontario.

Although i'm not sure where that leaves the Canadian Open.

Send me a PM or give me a call 416.565.8326 and we can discuss this matter further.

Ben

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Undisclosed
The NAF flagpole is indeed at half-mast...

Dear friend,
I can only pretend to know what you must feel, so I will speak only of my feelings of loss and void. I know I have been remiss in staying in touch as much as I surely should, and regret extremely missing this year's tournament and the chance to see you and your family once again.

I can only speak to the person I've seen do heroic things, talk passionately about the little thing like Blood Bowl, and manage so sweetly the things that truly matter - family and friends.

I know you have been at the center since the Resurrection of Blood Bowl and long before, and your active hard work and diligence, both as a NAF officer and tournament organizer, has meant so much to so very many.
I will trust that among the coaches you have inspired there will be those in lovely Montreal who will carry on with your great tournament and keep the DeathBowl alive and well and living in Canada.

For now and always I wish you and yours the very very best. I'll call you here in a day or two, but let me now publicly praise a very good man and friend...

Your pal always,
Jim

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Canada
Wow, sorry to hear that brian!

I had a great time at Deathbowl, glad I was able to get out to the tourney whilst it was still run by its creator! It was certainly the best tournament (any game) that I have attended.

I have a suggestion re a future home for Deathbowl.
We still havent sorted out the theme for the ottawa event, but it may be possible that we could run the Death Bowl in Ottawa, that way its
A: closer to Montreal (than if it was in Toronto)
B: Ben still gets to keep the Canadian Open going and
C: We don't "Lose" any tournament with "history"

just a thought.....

PM me if this is an interesting option,

good luck with your future distractions Brian Wink

Joe

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
Wow, sorry to hear that brian!

I had a great time at Deathbowl, glad I was able to get out to the tourney whilst it was still run by its creator! It was certainly the best tournament (any game) that I have attended.

I have a suggestion re a future home for Deathbowl.
We still havent sorted out the theme for the ottawa event, but it may be possible that we could run the Death Bowl in Ottawa, that way its
A: closer to Montreal (than if it was in Toronto)
B: Ben still gets to keep the Canadian Open going and
C: We don't "Lose" any tournament with "history"

just a thought.....

PM me if this is an interesting option,

good luck with your future distractions Brian Wink

Joe

That's sounds like a plan.

Although i would love to get my hands on some of the boards.

Ben

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 09:47 AM

Here's a list of what gear I'm going to send along with the tournament.

-Carnage Colloseum (The Death Bowl Stadium) & the transport dolly
-Phantom Field (The glass BB field) & the transport dolly
-the PVC legs for both stadiums
-Fuzzyfoot Field (This years Halfling field)
-4 Stools for the stadiums
-7 Death Bowl combo fields with Death Bowl on one side and 2 BB7's boards on the other.
-www.thedeathbowl.com (though it'll need to be transfered over to a new server or the buyer will have to take over the current account which runs about $250 per year)
-the death bowl web software though it is incomplete and will need a little TLC from a php savvy individual.
-All of the table trimmings (Table cloths, plastic table markers,etc)
-The Dark Angel Statue for the Admin table.
-The Wooden Spoon
-The Halfling legacy trophy
-My complete supply of 2004,2005 & 2006 tournament figs and I'll put you in contact with Indigo as we've already started working on the 2007 anniversary fig.
-The House Rulez Blimp which includes the aluminium carrying case, the balloon bladder and a pump to blow it up.
-I'll supply the buyer with the Death Bowl Orc poster art original digital copy in extreme high res.
-all the other assorted trophy bits and stuff I can't think of right now..

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Ben, would you rather I try to work a deal out with Joe?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 10:06 AM

Canada
      CyberHare wrote:

I think we would all rather that you reconsider! Wink

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 10:15 AM

Canada
      CyberHare wrote:

Why don't you supply us both with your proposition and we can sort it out between the three of us.

I don't mind whatever the outcome is as long as your happy with the deal and Deathbowl can continue.

Ben

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Spazzfist wrote:
I think we would all rather that you reconsider! Wink

Thank you guys for the kind words and praise. Trust me though when I say I've considered, reconsidered, pondered, discussed and reconsidered this again. I'd like to take a little pride in having run the DB for 4 years but it's time to pass it on and allow it to grow. I've been playing BB for almost 2 decades now. Back from the days of the ole' bb usergroups and mailing lists. It's been a wild ride and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I know though that I'm leaving the hobby in good hands with you lot on guard. I just need to find a good home for DB.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Canada
You'll have to let me know how much you get for it..... I might consider selling the Q'ermitt! Laughing

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Canada
      Quote:

Why don't you supply us both with your proposition and we can sort it out between the three of us.

I don't mind whatever the outcome is as long as your happy with the deal and Deathbowl can continue.

Ben

Sounds good to me!

Joe

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Canada
      Quote:

Here's a list of what gear I'm going to send along with the tournament.

-Carnage Colloseum (The Death Bowl Stadium) & the transport dolly
-Phantom Field (The glass BB field) & the transport dolly
-the PVC legs for both stadiums
-Fuzzyfoot Field (This years Halfling field)
-4 Stools for the stadiums
-7 Death Bowl combo fields with Death Bowl on one side and 2 BB7's boards on the other.
-www.thedeathbowl.com (though it'll need to be transfered over to a new server or the buyer will have to take over the current account which runs about $250 per year)
-the death bowl web software though it is incomplete and will need a little TLC from a php savvy individual.
-All of the table trimmings (Table cloths, plastic table markers,etc)
-The Dark Angel Statue for the Admin table.
-The Wooden Spoon
-The Halfling legacy trophy
-My complete supply of 2004,2005 & 2006 tournament figs and I'll put you in contact with Indigo as we've already started working on the 2007 anniversary fig.
-The House Rulez Blimp which includes the aluminium carrying case, the balloon bladder and a pump to blow it up.
-I'll supply the buyer with the Death Bowl Orc poster art original digital copy in extreme high res.
-all the other assorted trophy bits and stuff I can't think of right now..

thats one hell of a lot of Stuff Shocked

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic