NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 11:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fractured Skull! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
crazylegsOffline
Post subject: Does Foul Appearance Stack?  PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 02:43 PM

I know all about foul appearance working while prone, and the debate that prompts, and I don't want to start that all over again, I just want to know if foul appearance "stacks". Ie: if a player is within 3 spaces of 2+ players with foul appearance does he take -2 (or more) to his pass/catch roll?

thanks,

Reply with quote Back to top
SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 04:08 PM

Canada
I hope it doesn't ! But I couldn't see why it shouldn't. I mean, 4 pass blockers can do their stuff, so why not 2 foul appearing guys?

crazylegsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 04:56 PM

It's a very unique case in that it's a skill that affects things in a zone, that multiple people can have... and I can't find anything in the LRB on point (which makes me think that they do stack, but I'd like to know that before I try to make a handoff with 3 rotters nearby...).

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2004 - 05:38 PM

United States of America
yes it stacks and you can be on the ground too!

Ratin_MutantsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 12:37 AM

What do you mean 4 pass blocks can?
As far as I remember ONLY ONE pass blocker can move, but if you already have players within takcle zones, then yep it is possible.

And as the you can have more TZ on the thrower and the catcher... Foul Appreance is cumulative... that makes the Rotters very nasty to throw the ball against. with 4 rotters and one beast with FA.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 03:11 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Ratin_Mutants wrote:
What do you mean 4 pass blocks can?
As far as I remember ONLY ONE pass blocker can move, but if you already have players within takcle zones, then yep it is possible.

No all pass blockers can move. So long as they can put a TZ on the catcher/thrower or move to intercept.

Being allowed to only move 1 player to intercept was a common house rule.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 03:22 AM

Only one player can be moved into interception range, but as many as are available can be moved to exert a tackle zone on the thrower or catcher. It says in the rules that "the move may only be made if it allows the player to move into a position to attempt an interception, or to put the thrower or catcher in his tackle zone." Only one player can attempt an interception, therefore only one player can put himself in a position to attempt one (unless it also happens to put a tackle zone on the opponent, in which case he's allowed the move but for another reason).

ZFurelliOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 03:38 AM

Scotland

As far as I understand, multiple players can be in a position to intercept (or indeed move to a position where they could intercept using Pass Block) but only one player can make the interception roll.

Furelli.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 03:49 AM

It says "move into a position to attempt an interception". You can't move if it won't allow you to attempt an interception.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 05:08 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
LRB pp36 "the move may only be made if it allows the player to move into a position to attempt an interception, or to put the thrower or catcher in his tackle zone."

All players with Pass Block can move - so long as they theoretically can get into the correct position. They don't even have to move to such a position (although this is flagrant disregard for the spirit of the rule).

You only decide who will intercept after all pass block moves are made so, IMO, Zombie is, unusually, wrong about this one.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 05:09 AM
Former President

England
Hmmm...there's a difference between 'moving into a position to attempt an interception' and making the attempt itself.

If the range ruler passes over three opposing players then they're all 'in a position to attempt an interception'.

Down to intrepretation again, if it's one player then it should read something like 'move into a position in order to attempt an interception', and if it's multiple players it should read something like 'move into a position that allows an interception attempt'.

Who knows?

ZFurelliOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 05:44 AM

Scotland

This is quite amusing. Interpretations of the LRB going on on Both TBB and here involving IanWilliams, me and Deathwing - do none of us have work to do.

Furelli

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 06:29 AM

England
"the move may only be made if it allows the player to move into a position to attempt an interception, or to put the thrower or catcher in his tackle zone."

I too think Zombie is wrong. There is nothing in this statement about the player going on to make the intercept attempt. If it was meant to be that it should read "the move may only be made if it allows the player to attempt an interception." No reference to position on the field in necessary if the pass blocker has to attempt to intercept. If it was not compulsory for that player to intercept then a separate statement that only 1 player could move to a position to intercept would be necessary. You would also find yourself in a strange world where a player can't put a tackle zone on the thrower or catcher because it would put him in a position to intercept and another player has already done the same.

Similarly I think that Doubleskulls is wrong about players being able to move in any direction just as long as they could theoretically have placed a tackle zone on the thrower or catcher, or have been in position to intercept. I think the statement above is a list of conditions and the player must try to meet at least one of them in his move.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 12:45 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
All players with Pass Block can move - so long as they theoretically can get into the correct position. They don't even have to move to such a position (although this is flagrant disregard for the spirit of the rule).

All right, so you agree that moving a player in a position where he can't attempt an interception is against the spirit of the rule. How is this different from the case we're discussing? You're proposing to move a player with full knowledge that there's no way he can even attempt an interception, because you know that another player will attempt it. That's just as much against the spirit of the rule as the other case you mentioned!

If you tried to pull off something like that in my league, i'm sorry, but i'd question your sportmanship.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2004 - 02:07 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Smile Actually my league has a house rule only allowing you to move one player to intercept.... and we insist on you moving until you are in an eligable position.

I can see your point, but TBH I don't believe Pass Block is such an overpowering skill that this makes much difference. Rarely do you see it taken before the 3rd skill choice.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic