NAF Logo
leftstar May 28, 2024 - 12:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Make blocks, not dodges. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WilliOffline
Post subject: Chaos a good team in the long term???  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 08:43 AM

Germany
Hi,

I´m playing a Chaos team in a league and have now played 9 games (2 wins, 2 defeats, rest draw) TR now 182 and I´m now wondering why people say that Chaos is good in the long term. I don`t have the feeling that the team has become much better compared to the other teams in the league.

So when is it that the long term strategy pays off and the team becomes real good (20, 30 or more games)? How would such a team look like regarding skills etc.?

They are fun to play but chances of winning don`t get bigger, when the other teams develop one turners to spoil the 2:1 victory strategy.

So, any good advice for me???

ww

Reply with quote Back to top
AramilOffline
Post subject: Re: Chaos a good team in the long term???  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 09:18 AM

Undisclosed
      Willi wrote:
So, any good advice for me???

Throw some doubles during the Star Player Rolls Wink

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 09:43 AM

20 to 30 games should be enough to get a decent chaos team. After 20 games, they should have caught up with the other teams. After 30, they should downright dominate. 9 games is definitely NOT long term.

The key is getting the right mutations and the right skill combinations. For example, a chaos warrior with claw, razor sharp claw and piling on is the nastiest thing one could ever encounter. A beastman with sure hands and big hand can pick up the ball in 5 tackles zones at 2+ with a reroll. A chaos warrior with tentacles, stand firm, diving tackle and tackle is one of the most annoying things ever. I'm sure you can think of many more.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 11:24 AM

All one needs is a bit of luck with getting enough doubles. And naturally, not wasting them on less useful skills/mutations is an important factor also.

Member #52

RatBastardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 07:17 PM

Zombie wrote:
The key is getting the right mutations and the right skill combinations. For example, a chaos warrior with claw, razor sharp claw and piling on is the nastiest thing one could ever encounter.

Zombie. does the reroll of the armor break include +2 for claw? when u lay your player prone? im gonna guess yes cuz it sounds reasonable.. but wanted to make sure.. cuz piling on is not as uber as before.. but useful in that scenario.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 09:07 PM

The answer is yes.

And piling is only useful now if you have MB and the opponent has AV7, or you have claw and the opponent has AV8 or less. So piling on is now essentially useless on anyone but a player with claw. Still, on a player with both claw and razor sharp claw, it piles up nicely (pun not intended) to make such a player quite a killer.

I hate how they've made piling on useless for almost anyone but stronger than before for the players (claw + RSC) who really didn't need the boost. Piling on giving a reroll was a horrible idea, the worst ever to come out of the BBRC.

BevanOffline
Post subject: Re: Chaos a good team in the long term???  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 01:24 AM

Willi wrote:
They are fun to play but chances of winning don`t get bigger, when the other teams develop one turners to spoil the 2:1 victory strategy.

What's this 2:1 strategy? You aren't taking 8 turns to score are you? I usually play to score as quickly as possible, whatever team I play, and I usually win more than I lose. Razz

I've done quite well with Chaos in short leagues (10 to 14 games) and never had a double to get a mutation. How can you beat a team that can always Blitz with any player with 2 dice without assists? Rolling Eyes

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 01:41 AM

Bevan, maybe the other players in your league are just not up to par with you? Surely you must agree that chaos (especially without mutations) is one of the weakest teams short term...

AramilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 02:28 AM

Undisclosed
I'm running a chaos team in a very short league (5 matches + playoff) just to test it, but I'm having problems with it. After 2 matches (both lost 2-0, the first against wood elves, the second against lizardmen) I made 1 cas, 1 comp and 2 MVP, still no Star Players Rolls and a beastmen dead.
The problem is that I always block with two dice for, but only a few Pow came out... so it's difficult to run a smashing team that doesn't smash! Neutral (I'm always using the black dice.. maybe that's the problem? Wink )

WilliOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 06:55 AM

Germany
      Quote:
You aren't taking 8 turns to score are you?

I definetly do. I think it´s difficult to score with chaos in less than 4 turns, so this at the moment is the onla strategy that helps.

Well it seems that so far I have been unluck. I just rolled one double and this with my Oger Sad . He is now St 6 Very Happy but all other players have only made normal skills if they made enough SPP. Most of them now have block, one strip ball, one sure hands and two guard.

So it seems my only hope are a few doubles. Would you then take stat increases or go straight to the mutations??

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 08:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Always take +ST if its offered.

As for double 5's I think you need to think about what the player already has. On beastmen MA7 is very useful (score in 2 turns without GFIs for one thing), but maybe your team would benefit from an extra Claw or Foul Appearance instead.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 03:21 PM

Always take +1ST or +1AG. Always take a mutation over +1MA, except for gutter runners.

RatBastardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 06:54 PM

my league we are playin a 16 man league wit 3 - 10 game + playoffs.. its almost the end of 3rd season and the best team is 290TR and most average teams are in bout 230s'.. my Skaven this season got beat up last few games.. but im 7-1 wit 232 TR.. and my GR are Stacked! 74,72,71 SPP..but rest of team is naked (armor 7 plague).. now with Chaos at 230s' TR healthy = BEATS! im lookin forward to suckin the 1rst season and gettin my team stacked.. Chaos = solid beats high ratin.. mutations are just amazing.. lucky agi and str increases make the team Godlike.. im really lookin forward to Mino to go 2= block/blitz 4= all else..

and the new Piling On is bad but new WA rule sucks.. especially for Rats cuz Rats cant support him on line against orcs, undead, or lizard bastards..

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2004 - 09:45 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Zombie wrote:
Always take a mutation over +1MA, except for gutter runners.

That depends. If I've already got Dauntless I going to take horns - even on a double 6.

I may even turn down double 5s for Dauntless if I haven't got a Dauntless GR already.

Thats largely because I think the Dauntless GRs are more useful than one turners.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2004 - 12:08 PM

Even for a player with dauntless, i'd take +1ST over horns. +1ST helps you on defense and regular blocks, whereas horns only helps you on blitzes.

However, this kind of dilemma wouldn't occur to me as i'd take horns before dauntless anyway. Horns is better against ST2 for obvious reasons. It's better against ST3 because it doesn't require a dice roll. It's better against ST4 if you can get 2 assists in. It's also better against players who have defensive assists as dauntless doesn't take the assists into account when increasing your strength. Finally, if you roll a second double, there's a 1 in 6 chance that this double will be a double 6, and then you'll be really glad that you took horns!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic