NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Triple Skulls. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NodrogNOffline
Post subject: Pro re-roll question...  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 09:57 PM

The Pro rule in the LRB reads:

Once per team turn, a Pro is allowed to re-roll any one dice roll he has made. However, before the re-roll may be made, his coach must roll a dice. On a roll of 4, 5 or 6 the re-roll may be made. On a roll of 1, 2 or 3 the original result stands and may not be re-rolled with a skill or team re-roll...

I take this to mean that I can't try to use my pro skill and, when it fails, use a team re-roll instead. Can I, however, use a team re-roll to take the 'coach' roll again, which might then lead to getting the pro re-roll...

Sorry if this is blindingly clear somewhere in the rules and I missed it...

The best to you all...

GORDON

Reply with quote Back to top
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 11:21 PM

Toronto, ON
You can never re-roll anything more than once, so you would either have to use the re-roll or Pro, but not both.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

BevanOffline
Post subject: Pro and team rerolls  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 11:26 PM

You're right, you can't use a team reroll for a roll where Pro has been used and failed.

However, you can use a team reroll for (almost) anything a player does and this inlcudes the Pro roll. So if the Pro roll is 1-3, you can use a team reroll to try Pro again. If you get 4-6 then your Pro has succeeded and you get to reroll whatever you were trying to do in the first place. If you get 1-3 again then you just wasted your team reroll.

Just remember you can't make any roll more than twice and if you use a skill like dodge, pass or Pro to get a reroll then you can't use a team reroll for the same thing.

In general if a failed roll means a tunrover and you have a team reroll available it is better to use the team reroll rather than Pro. Use Pro for events that do not cause turnovers when they fail (or when you are out of rerolls). Since armour and injury can't be rerolled this mainly limits Pro to blocks where you need better than a pushback and Big Guys who can't use team rerolls anyway.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 06:49 AM

Bevan - I can't agree with your interpretation, I'm afraid.

The LRB says (under the Pro skill on page 36): "On a roll of 1,2, or 3 the original result stands and may NOT be re-rolled with a skill or team re-roll."

That's pretty clear, I think.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 07:20 AM

Smeborg: The Pro roll can be rerolled. The original result stands and cannot be rerolled, since you can't use a team reroll on a skill you have rolled twice already.

-Oscar Wilde

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 07:30 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

smeborg wrote:
Bevan - I can't agree with your interpretation, I'm afraid.

The LRB says (under the Pro skill on page 36): "On a roll of 1,2, or 3 the original result stands and may NOT be re-rolled with a skill or team re-roll."

Smeborg the Fleshless

Smeborg,

Bevan and Skummy are right ... you can use the team re-roll to re-roll the 1,2,3 for the the use of Pro .... since this is not effecting the original result, the above text you quoted doesn't prohibit this.

It a good tactic when you have a player with Pro and want to try and save the team reroll for a later action in the turn.

Galak

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 06:14 PM

while I can understand how you might think that I disagree because team re-rolls can only be used "for an action carried out by a player" and I don't think pro is an action. now my question about pro is can it be used to re-reoll a bone head or realy stupid roll?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 06:19 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

ponkavitch wrote:
while I can understand how you might think that I disagree because team re-rolls can only be used "for an action carried out by a player" and I don't think pro is an action. now my question about pro is can it be used to re-reoll a bone head or realy stupid roll?

First ... Pro is DEFINITELY an action, so you can reroll it.

And yes Pro definitely can be used on Bonehead and Really Stupid and for Treeman rolling to stand up.

Galak

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 06:52 PM

Toronto, ON
Well, you are both half right. Pro is not an action, but the quote
      Quote:

"for an action carried out by a player"

is badly worded and is meant to mean using skills etc. Referring to Pro as an Action is confusing.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 08:55 PM

Hi guys -

The LRB prohibition (against re-rolling a failed Pro roll) seems like very plain English to me.

As I may be missing the point, please could you give me a clear (step by step) example of Re-rolling the Pro roll?

Thanks

Smeborg the Fleshless

NodrogNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 09:30 PM

The wording wasn't very clear to me (as someone who has never played, admittedly). The clause 'the original result stands and may not be re-rolled blah blah blah.' for me (a language teacher) broke down as 'the original result (being the bad roll which wanted to be pro-ed) stands and (that same bad original result) may not be re-rolled blah blah blah...'

Because it didn't specifically point out that the coach roll couldn't be re-rolled, I was unsure...

Thinking about it further, I'm still confused. In all the other GW games I've played, the rulebook is reminds you about not being allowed to re-roll a re-roll whenever the event seems even remotely possible. I have a feeling that smeborg might be right, but it just didn't feel right...

Anyhow, thanks for muddying the waters more...=9

Bread...

GORDON

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 10:07 PM

Toronto, ON
Your not re-rolling a re-roll, your re-rolling the roll to see if Pro works or not (can I say "roll" a few more times? Wink)

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

destroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 11:56 PM

I would have to agree with smeborg on this one. I dont think you can use a team re-roll on the pro skill.

pro states: on a 1, 2, 3, the original result stands and may not be re-rolled with a skill or team re-roll.

the second rule for skills states: all skills may be used once per action unless stated otherwise.

since pro is a skill and skills can only be used once per action, how do you justify saying it can be re-rolled with a team re-roll? I don't know of any other skill that gives you a re-roll and you can use a team re-roll on for the same action. its like the dodge skill. you don't role the dodge skill and then if you fail, re-roll the dodge skill with a team re-roll.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2003 - 02:34 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      smeborg wrote:
As I may be missing the point, please could you give me a clear (step by step) example of Re-rolling the Pro roll?

Say my player with Pro is making a catch roll. He requires 3+.

1st roll '1' - failure. I decide to use Pro and fail ( Rolling Eyes).

I cannot use a TRR to reroll the Catch roll - because I've already tried to use Pro.

I may use a TRR to reroll the Pro roll, which I do and make it ( Shocked ). This means I can reroll the catch roll, but roll another '1' and fail anyway. Bloody typical.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2003 - 06:29 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

destro wrote:
I would have to agree with smeborg on this one. I dont think you can use a team re-roll on the pro skill.

Pro is a skill just like any other skill ... you can reroll using Dauntless for instance ... Pro is no different. Everything that one of your players does can be rerolled expect Armour and Injury rolls and that's because those items specifically say they cannot be used.

Keep in mind that at the point you roll for Pro, you are NOT rerolling the original result. That comes later.

So the order of operation are:

1) I go to block and get double skulls.
2) I decide to use Pro, and roll a 1.
3) Now at this point the original result has still not been rerolled and Pro is just another skill, so I use a team reroll to reroll the Pro roll, and get a 4 which means that I can now reroll the blocking attempt.
4) I reroll the blocking attempt and get 2 pushes and carry on with my turn.

The original result was only rerolled once by the sequence. I used Block dice so it would be clear that this was true. If the Pro skill use had failed the "original result would stand", but I am able to use a team reroll on my Pro skill just like I can on Dauntless to try and get it to work.

Hope this makes more sense.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic