NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 03:52 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Rat knows Borak. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cragspiderOffline
Post subject: Some advice for a returning Blood Bowler  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hi there,

I haven't played Blood Bowl since 2nd edition but I'm eager to get back into it. I am part of a Warhammer gaming group of about 8 guys and thought I would set up a tournament to try and get things going again. Some of the guys played with me back in 2nd edition while others haven't ever played. Hence, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice for starting such a tournament. Should I go with the full set of rules? Were can I get a hold of extra game pieces? I have the latest version ordered which will get us going but I was looking to make some new fields or possibly buy some...if possible. Teams are not a problem as I have 8 from before. Any advice?

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
smeborgOffline
Post subject: RE: Some advice for a returning Blood Bowler  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2008 - 10:18 PM

Good boy.

Yes, I recommend you go with the complete ruleset. They have in-built balancing (handicapping) rules. Also there are some pleasing new skills and races (something for everyone).

If you use custome boards (this can be great fun) make sure you have a generic passing chart (the range ruler will not work on a custom board).

I do recommend you go with at least a couple of new teams, but beware, some of them are not easy to play (give them to the better players).

Are you planning a weekend tournament, or a league?

All the best

Smeborg

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2008 - 10:19 PM

And where are you in the world???

Smeborg

thechosengobboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Warrington, England
Boards can be bought from this fine gentleman normlly. Though he doesn't seem to have any in right now...

As for figures, there's always GW mail order for incomplete teams (you can no longer order the individual figures, sadly). However I find that a MUCH better place is this site. They don't have all the teams (yet) but you can get yourself a team consisting of EXACTLY what you want.

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2008 - 09:45 AM

You're probably better off staying with 2ed.

cragspiderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2008 - 12:32 PM

First off, thanks for the replies.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada (or there abouts). As far as the teams, I have been doing some reading up on the forums and now am familiar with the Tier 1, 2 and 3 teams. Teams shouldn't be too much of a problem as the only tier 3 team I have is a Halfling team and I may use them since I have the most experience of the bunch. The other teams I have are 3 human teams, 1 elf team, 1 skaven team (well, 9 models but I plan on buying a few more to finish them), 2 orc teams, 1 Chaos team and 1 dwarf team. Those include the two teams coming with the latest game. I was lucky to get a few of those teams from a friend that left the country to teach a broad. As far as the passing table mentioned above, where can i find it? Thanks for the field link. I'll see if I can track some down and if not I think making some should be fun as I enjoy terrain building in Warhammer. Does any one have links to cool custom pitches/fields? I remember seeing some ages ago...

As far as the event being a tournament or a League event, I think I will make it a Tournament as I am not sure if I will be able to keep the interest going. My plan is to introduce/re-introduce the game with hopefuly the end result being a continuation into a League....fingers crossed. Since i already have so many teams I am also thinking of giving them to my buddies if they are interested in continuing. I figure that may also provide a bit of a catalyst.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Canada
Hey, welcome back. Doing a tournament, and then letting coaches borrow your teams is a great idea. Once they are hooked, then they are likely to go off and buy their own.

The site that thechosengobbo provided is quite good, as it tends to provide exactly what you need in a full roster team. And you can also buy ones and twos to complete the teams that you already have.

As for custom pitch, I'm hoping that Spazzfist is going to jump-in and provide photos of the pitches that he made. He has at least a dozen, that we use at his tournament in Toronto every Spring.

Cramy

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Your plan sounds good to me.

All the best.

Smeborg

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 10:24 AM

You might also want to get in touch with the Thunderbowl league in Vancouver (they ran the Spike! Magazine Trophy tournament this year). Just a thought.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Torg wrote:
You're probably better off staying with 2ed.

I personally can not agree with this.... why you would rather stay with 2nd eddition is beyond me!!!!

I started playing the game at 2nd eddition too, & trust me the current game in my opinion is much better.

Rod

(I have some of Spazzfist's boards in pics , will try & load em here)

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
http://www.bloodbowl.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3992

check out this, its a poll I did awhile back of the various boards he created for his tourney....

Rod

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 02:14 PM

Canada
Thanks Cramy for the intro, and Clan-Skaven for doing the honours and actually getting a link to the pics!

If you are looking into the custom boards I would highly reccomend my inspirations which are the special stadium rules by John Lewis and the "Fans are on the Pitch" rules by Carl and Matt Brown.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 07:42 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

My suggestion: Listen to Torg's second piece of advice ... totally ignore what he wrote in his first piece of advice.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2008 - 11:54 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
My suggestion: Listen to Torg's second piece of advice ... totally ignore what he wrote in his first piece of advice.

I agree!

(see Galak, you & I can agree once in awhile Laughing )

Rod

cragspiderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 17, 2008 - 01:35 PM

Wow Spazzfist, great job on those stadiums. I especially like the Orc stadium...very cool.

I Think you have just inspired me to make some of my own. For the orc stadium, how did you make the field? I particularly like the look of that one.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic