NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 04:51 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
A knee in the groin is worth two in the face. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
generaljasonOffline
Post subject: Spike! Trophy reforged  PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 - 09:23 AM

British Columbia, Canada

Six months after Spike! 2008 - the first year we hosted it, GW shut down GW Canada's head office, GW Canada's Trolls, and Community services. They liquidated everything they had there, crated it and shipped it out to 2 different warehouses in the States. They amalgamated the US and Canadian offices in GW North America, and GW Canada was no more. The stores still exist, but all game support and ordering is now done through the States.

Somewhere in all that moving they lost the Spike! Magazine Trophy. Myself, my brother, Lycos and even JJ himself made inquires for at least 18 months. Dave has probably about 100 emails that he either wrote or sent, but as hard as he tried the Spike! Trophy could not be found. Hidden in a crate somewhere, possibly next to the Ark of the Covenant.

We never really talked about it publicly because I have no desire to embarrass the parent company that owns the game that I play, and whose name we represent when hosting a BB Major. Also we were hoping for a long time that we could find it and so not have to make it public.

But that ship has sailed. We've cut our losses, accepted that the Spike! Trophy is in fact lost......

But the Spike! Trophy is being reforged. With the gracious help of the NAF the original Spike! Trophy is going to remade to it's original design as humanly possible.

This is were we need your help - especially from the veterans of the NAF who have been around since the beginning when the rings of power were made. Wink Simon (Darkson), James (Deathwing), Grum, anybody else from the beginning, we need to pick your brains.

Dave S (Da Scum) from Edmonton - Spike! veteran from the beginning told me that all 4 of the Major trophies were made in the UK. What I need to know is:

01. Who forged these trophies?
02. Does the company still exist?

I don't believe that anybody would throw away moulds regardless of whether the company folded. Even if they were bought out by another company I imagine these same moulds would have been part of inventory. If we can obtain the mould and forge it elsewhere, or forge it at the company that owns the mold - either works for us, that alone would save a grand on production costs.

But anything you guys know would be helpful. If none of you veterans remember anything then fair enough. It's a long shot but I figured it was a question worth asking. Obtaining the original mould would guarantee that the reforged Spike! Trophy would be identical to the original.

Either way we have contacted a custom trophy company from Florida that have already sent us artwork for a redesigned Spike! if this falls through.

Thanks for your time regardless of the outcome, and hope to see you guys at the NAF WC (if I can find 2 more players Wink)

Cheers,
Craig.

Last edited by generaljason on Jan 29, 2012 - 05:49 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Spike! Trophy reforged  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 09:20 AM

soz no idea who made it, not sure it would have been done from a mould either

I wouldn't worry about getting the same one replicated either, why not get it done by someone else (no idea what the situation is regarding copyright on the design though, prob need GW permission?)

the original spike was by far the best of the four trophies, but I still think a better job could have been done

any chance of posting the artwork, avoiding the horrible looking "blood bowl" trophy while we have the chance for community input is well worth doing

Jon

Darkson
Post subject: RE: Spike! Trophy reforged  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Undisclosed
I thought (though I freely admit, I may be wrong) that they were all made in-house.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:20 AM
Former President

England
Unfortunately, I have no info whatsoever on this, sorry.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:16 AM

don't think they were, the blood bowl may have been

from the appearance I would think the chaos cup and the spike were probably the same company though

when I was at the GW HQplace in toronto they also had some replica of a chaos sword that iirc was made by the same company and delivered with the trophy

maybe its the same place that makes the slayer swords? though tbh those look like a much better quality job than the bb trophies are

Jon

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 07:51 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

The manager of the bunker in 2004 had told me that the local bunker had paid for the Chaos Cup forging. So I know it was not made in-house. The best bet would be to find that manager who was in charge in 2003 and 2004 and ask him who they used if you could find him and if he still works for GW.

The two earliest managers in Chicago who might know where the Chaos Cup trophy was cast and thus if Canada used the same company might know about the Spike forging were:
Tim Huckelbery: TimH@Games-Workshop.com or Tim.Huckelbery@Games-Workshop.com or hivemind@games-workshop.com
Joe Krone: colkrone@yahoo.com

Tim was in charge in 2003 when the trophy was made but Joe took over in 2003 as Bunker manager so was probably around to know the details as he worked for GW from 2000 to 2006. I know Joe is no longer with GW and don't know about Tim. Joe had sent a good-bye email in 2006 with his personal email address which hopefully would still work to contact him and ask if he remembers.

Best I can do to help.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Toronto, ON
I was working at GW Canada when the first Spike! was held (actually, I ran it). The trophy wasn't cast - it was welded together from lots of piece of metal and finished with some kind of coating (not sure what it was called).

Anyway, I am pretty sure it was made by a metal sculptor in the UK but I could be wrong, beyond that, I have absolutely no idea who made it. GW Canada had absolutely no idea what the BB majors were all about back then so if it was in the warehouse when they moved I highly doubt it made it out alive.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 02:37 PM

Toronto, ON
Also, I'll mention that the Spike trophy was kind of a piece of junk and started rusting badly after a year, so it's probably a good idea to make a new one Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

DarkOrk20Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 03:05 AM

United States of America
If you need or are looking for some donations to help cover the cost of getting it remade all you have to do is ask.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 03:40 AM

hey Anthony, remember the fun you had trying to find it after JKL and I hid it? ;]

Jon

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Toronto, ON
Hahaha - I just remembered Very Happy

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2011 - 02:59 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but there was at first no activity of the thread, and then a few, and then it got larger, and with all this World Cup pre-reg that I'd been doing: finding players, setting up paypal and the like, I got swamped and there is a lot to respond to here.

Deathwing wrote:
Unfortunately, I have no info whatsoever on this, sorry.

No worries man. When I talked to Dave about this over the phone he said that this might be a dead end but you never know so I figured I'd ask. You never know what people might remember. Thanks for reading all the blather up above and sounding off. Cheers. But if you are truly sorry and really broken up about it you can buy me a beer at the World Cup. Razz

Darkson wrote:
I thought (though I freely admit, I may be wrong) that they were all made in-house.

Same goes for you Simon.

Grumbledook wrote:
soz no idea who made it, not sure it would have been done from a mould either

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
I was working at GW Canada when the first Spike! was held (actually, I ran it). The trophy wasn't cast - it was welded together from lots of piece of metal and finished with some kind of coating (not sure what it was called).
Anyway, I am pretty sure it was made by a metal sculptor in the UK but I could be wrong, beyond that, I have absolutely no idea who made it. GW Canada had absolutely no idea what the BB majors were all about back then so if it was in the warehouse when they moved I highly doubt it made it out alive.

Grumbledook wrote:
I wouldn't worry about getting the same one replicated either, why not get it done by someone else (no idea what the situation is regarding copyright on the design though, prob need GW permission?)
the original spike was by far the best of the four trophies, but I still think a better job could have been done

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Also, I'll mention that the Spike trophy was kind of a piece of junk and started rusting badly after a year, so it's probably a good idea to make a new one

We wanted to get an appropriate replica of the Spike! because we were working under the impression that all 4 were made at the same time and all had a similar bronze/brass finish. If that is not the case then we don't need to make it look exact.

As for the mould or no mould, what Anthony says reaffirms what Jesse (Sallacious) said about it when we had it in our possession back in 2008 - that it wasn't a mould but welded together. I admit that I didn't really give it a good study when it was in our possession back in 2008 because I didn't know it was the last time that I would see it, other than taking this photo:

Or this one back in Spike! 2007 in Calgary:

So that's the end of that mystery - welded not cast.

Grumbledook wrote:
from the appearance I would think the chaos cup and the spike were probably the same company though

when I was at the GW HQplace in toronto they also had some replica of a chaos sword that iirc was made by the same company and delivered with the trophy

maybe its the same place that makes the slayer swords? though tbh those look like a much better quality job than the bb trophies are

GalakStarscraper wrote:
The manager of the bunker in 2004 had told me that the local bunker had paid for the Chaos Cup forging. So I know it was not made in-house. The best bet would be to find that manager who was in charge in 2003 and 2004 and ask him who they used if you could find him and if he still works for GW.

The two earliest managers in Chicago who might know where the Chaos Cup trophy was cast and thus if Canada used the same company might know about the Spike forging were:
Tim Huckelbery: TimH@Games-Workshop.com or Tim.Huckelbery@Games-Workshop.com or hivemind@games-workshop.com
Joe Krone: colkrone@yahoo.com

Tim was in charge in 2003 when the trophy was made but Joe took over in 2003 as Bunker manager so was probably around to know the details as he worked for GW from 2000 to 2006. I know Joe is no longer with GW and don't know about Tim. Joe had sent a good-bye email in 2006 with his personal email address which hopefully would still work to contact him and ask if he remembers.

These are great leads guys. Good eye Jon and thanks Tom for these addresses. If the decision is to find a welder or a sculptor this will help immensely. The only contact we've had as taking this project further is a company out of Florida called Inspired Bronze who could make a custom mould and redesign it.

Grumbledook wrote:
any chance of posting the artwork, avoiding the horrible looking "blood bowl" trophy while we have the chance for community input is well worth doing

For sure. Jesse did the artwork for this trophy:

As well as the coin here:

We also have the original colour scheme of the Spike! Trophy found on this poster on our Spike! tournament homepage (yeah I know it says 2010 - we're in the process of updating it. Wink):
http://www.spiketournament.com/

But as far as redesign, we'd like to make the trophy bigger if we can. Redesign it around an extra large Bauer hockey glove so even the largest of arms can fit - hollow out the trophy (the original was like this) but fix a bar inside the fist for someone to grip. This way they can hold the trophy up with 2 hands but also they can wear it like a proper gauntlet. What do you guys think of that?

DarkOrk20 wrote:
If you need or are looking for some donations to help cover the cost of getting it remade all you have to do is ask.

The NAF is going to be helping us out but this is not a blank cheque nor would we ever treat it like one. The quote from Inspired Bronze in the U.S. for a metal mould 9-10 IN trophy - far smaller than what I proposed above but more akin to the size of the original, is far off the scale of what we or the NAF is prepared to spend I think.

Any other options like welders or whatnot that can bring the price of getting this redone cheaper we are all ears. But we appreciate your support Thomas.

Sorry about the length but there was a lot of stuff to respond to here. Again any help whether it be a lead to another company, or design suggestions, or financial aid to get the Spike! Trophy reforged is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time guys. I'll keep you all posted on any new developments on my front.

Best regards,
Craig.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2012 - 11:45 PM

British Columbia, Canada
After FOUR LONG YEARS OF WAITING, and continued support from the NAF, in particular our president Dave Downes who spent countless hours and emails trying to locate the old trophy once it was lost back in 2009 to no avail, and being committed along with the NAF administration to seeing it replaced if need be, I am proud to announce that the SPIKE! MAGAZINE TROPHY is being REFORGED for Spike! 2012!! Very Happy Very Happy

I would like to thank all the users that posted here throughout and added the comments and suggestions. Some gave us insight on where not to look, and some put us in contact within the industry of bronze casting that we wouldn't have known otherwise.

The reforge will be an improved version of the last:

The project has been a very costly venture to do for myself and my clubmates, but we've always felt as NAF does that the Spike! is a NAF Major and needed to get the trophy back.

I know others had posted in the past that they would like to help us and donate to getting this redone. If coaches still want to help us out this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! We want your help.

Any member wishing to make a donation to TB to help us with this venture please make a visit to the Spike! Merchandize page found here. All contributions made to that page starting tonight will go directly into getting the Spike! trophy remade:

http://spiketournament.com/?page_id=26

Thanks for all your continued support guys - especially Lycos and Geggster: you guys are awesome.

And I'm just ecstatic over on this side of the globe that we can FINALLY announce that this is getting done! Very Happy Canada has it's trophy back! Awesome job NAF! September 29th, 2012 will be an exciting day of Blood Bowl because of your efforts!

Best regards,
Craig.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Heres the last time I saw it, back in 2006.... (too bad I was not allowed to keep it, I shoulda made a run for it Laughing )

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Canada
I can't wait to see the new version! S.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic