NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 05:19 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Miss Next Game. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Notorious_jtbOffline
26 Post subject: Bidding open until Jan 31st North American Team Championship  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Canada
NA Team Championship Request for Bids

Following the success of the second NAF World Cup in 2011 we are planning to hold the first North American Team Championship in 2013.
We also want to follow the bidding model to determine the host location for the event each time. The vision is a once every four year event, two years removed from the NAF World Cup each time.

1) Bids must only be submitted by email.
Northamericanteamchampionship@gmail.com
2) Bids must not be publicised on the message boards, any such posts will be deleted and may cause the removal of the bid from the competition.
3) Bids must plan to use a location in North America (just in case we have any jokers Wink )

Key Dates

Bidding open Jan 1st
Bidding closed midnight PST January 31st
Results announced February 21st (latest).

*January 1st bidding process opens

*January 31st last date for full submission.

*Winning bid announced on forums by third week in February

Bidding process will select based on:

Resume of organizing team
    Proposed location
    Proposed Venue
    Suggested Accommodation
    Overall price

Bidding process will not involve:

Tournament format
    Tournament rules

previous post from the 28 12 2011 below:

Just a quick note to forewarn people that the bidding for the 2013 North American Team Championship opens on January 1st 2012.

Essentially people can submit a proposal for their group to run the 1st NA team Championship.

Bidders will submit an expression of interest by email and recieve a fuller description of what is required.

Submissions will be accepted until January 31st 2012.
Winners should be announced by the end of February 2012 giving at least a year to get everything organised.

Please wait for the 1st to bid when the email address will be provided.
Bids posted on the board will be deleted.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by Notorious_jtb on Mar 14, 2012 - 07:26 PM; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
LizardcoreOffline
Post subject: RE: Bidding Process for North American Team Championship  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Who is evaluating the bids ?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North American Team Championship  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Canada
      Lizardcore wrote:
Who is evaluating the bids ?

Great question. We have a group of 10, 5 from Canada (including me) and 5 from the US organising things right now. If any of this group are involved in a bid they will be removed. There are several people not included due to a prediction of their interest in bidding. We also plan to add a number of senior NAF folks from the Rest of the World, hopefully ones involved in the World Cup voting/organising to offer their experienced opinion as well.

This will all be done offline but we will try and offer as much transparency as possible.

The way the process is going to proceed is in an effort to create a structure that can be used for future events (hopefully a 2017 NA Team Championship) that functions independantly of any individual contributor.

sann0638Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North American Team Champion  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 02:47 PM
President

England
I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering - are you envisaging it only open to North American teams, or is it a team championship that happens to be held in North America?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North American Team Cham  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Canada
      sann0638 wrote:
I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering - are you envisaging it only open to North American teams, or is it a team championship that happens to be held in North America?

We believe in open access tournaments so everyone will be welcome. We really would love to have the over subscription problem of the World Cup ii.

So in essence, bring it on Team Swindon Wink

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North American Team   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 - 09:07 PM

United States of America
Who decides the other nine people and why have we not heard from Valen (?) the US TO where is the transparency there?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North American T  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Who decides the other nine people and why have we not heard from Valen (?) the US TO where is the transparency there?

Do not rush to judgement just yet.

There are several senior US folks involved.

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North Americ  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2011 - 08:00 AM

And you're waiting for the bid to start to know who is still in or out ? It's ok if you can't reveal the other names... but just say so ! Smile

I guess you're following the NAF elections, and one major point of debate is the lack of transparency of the NAF (doesnt mean people are doing bad stuff in secret - just that we dont really know what's happening). Nobody is questioning the way things are happening for the NA championship, but I guess people would like to know what's up !

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North Americ  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Canada
Very fair Lizardcore.

You are right, until we know who bids we can't confirm who judges.

I am hoping the system will be such that there will be easy ways to choose between bids and we don't need too much subjectivity anyway....

But yes, we all want lots of transparency!!!!

I think ultimately it would be nice to have elected judges too. But that will take a long time to organise.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bidding Process for North Americ  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2011 - 06:06 PM

Canada
Ok, so here it is, a few hours early Smile

Happy New Year!

NA Team Championship Request for Bids

1) Bids must only be submitted by email.
2) Bids must not be publicised on the message boards, any such posts will be deleted and may cause the removal of the bid from the competition.

*January 1st bidding process opens
    Submit an expression of interest to receive full bidding guidelines.
    These guidelines will help in the construction of the bid document and for comparison of different bids. The expression of interest only needs to be a breif who you are and that you want to think about a bid.
    All correspondence will be conducted through the following email address:

*January 31st last date for full submission.

*Winning bid announced on forums by third week in February

Bidding process will select based on:

Resume of organizing team
    Proposed location
    Proposed Venue
    Suggested Accommodation
    Overall price

Bidding process will not involve:

Tournament format
    Tournament rules

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2011 - 07:52 PM

United States of America
Okay there is already confusion

Do you have a single judge, other than yourself?
Is the US TO defaulted to being a judge?
What are your criteria for the other 8 judges?
How does one bbecome a judge?

The big stank here is the uproar with NAF and transparency.
I do not know how to sugarcoat the following:
I am glad that you came forward and set the ball in motion, BUT
you have aready started and continue with the preception of secreacry and possible nepotism.

Now is the time to come out and put those precptions to rest, less we continue with the current administrative vagueness.

Ps I am not spearheading a bit. I will gladly lend my skills to the actual Cup

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Canada
Daloonie really there are no reasonable objections that can be placed at this time.

The processes is clear all bidders will receive the same opportunity to be fairly reviewed. We have declared that current committee members will not vote if they are linked to a bid. For balance purposes there are 5 USA and 5 Canadian members right now. It is not a group of friends just members who want to make this happen like almost everything in Naf they volunteered. Additionally we plan to ask at least the elected NAF officals for their opinion as well and hopefully a couple of additional senior folks who have run big events in Europe.

I would mention that there are a number of democratic traditions around secret ballots. I also refer you to my earlier post where I suggest that we may be able to reveal the voters once we know they don't need to be excluded.

Equally transparency is nice but influencing known voters is a significant negative.

Additionally some things will always remain off the boards for legal reasons I do not expect any contracts signed for this tournament to be reproduced here for example.

Once this process is over I would be happy to have people suggest an ideal method for a bidding process with maximum transparency.

With regards to this process again, I do not plan to vote myself and I think after the fact transparency is enough. I also mentioned previously in this thread and the larger one I started a while ago that it is about building a process. It is not even clear how many credible bids will be received in this time. We are trying to get one step ahead of the first world cup where Nottingham was just picked as the location.

p.s. edited because I did the first version on my phone!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2012 - 12:18 PM

United States of America
So if I understand you correctly:
Do you have a single judge, other than yourself?
      Quote:
For balance purposes there are 5 USA and 5 Canadian members right now
<they are secret other than yourself not to influnce bidding>

Is the US TO defaulted to being a judge?
      Quote:
For balance purposes there are 5 USA and 5 Canadian members right now
<they are secret other than yourself not to influnce bidding> so you are implying that the US TO is either slighting a primary duty, you did not invite him, or it is a secret and you would have to kill us before you telll us.

What are your criteria for the other 9 judges?
<well I guess we must conclude by your direct answer that other than secretly voulenteering .... none.> It must be safe to assume they are NAF members at least.

How does one bbecome a judge?

Quote:

It is not a group of friends just members who want to make this happen like almost everything in Naf they volunteered.
<before we openend up the judgeing format to the NAF public, otherwise it is a secret and we won't tell you until it is done><wtf? they are auto excluded and most contest make it a BIG show as to who is making the votes, but it's your show so hide them in the dark until all is done>

ps.....
In your stance to show the NAF the NA ability to host the WCIII, I am sure you think you are going about it in a proper way. You are developing the same questions that circled around WCII development (great finish by the way). You give the appearance of trying to "show that you are open" yet still having it tainted in the foul taste of secrecy. Yes it makes people think of "Ole Boys Club" or Nepotisim because you are hiding key cards close to your chest. It is your show and I will critize you every day to have the slightest influence to make it better. We (NA) have the chance to show NAF how it is done, "raise the bar", do it better. Yes we may or may not get 500 people but the process from start to finish should be clean cut and crystal clear.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2012 - 02:46 AM

United States of America
Yes, I'm actually not clear on why the bids should be secret, especially after the bid deadline occurs. Wouldn't it make more sense to have bids be public documents, and allow the membership to give feedback on them?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2012 - 12:40 PM

Canada
      zootsuitjeff wrote:
Yes, I'm actually not clear on why the bids should be secret, especially after the bid deadline occurs. Wouldn't it make more sense to have bids be public documents, and allow the membership to give feedback on them?

Great question Jeff!

The bids will be secret for two reasons:

1) This is what the NAF World Cup did. Instead of creating a new process with lots of accrimony and discussion on the boards, it makes sense to copy a successful process. As can be seen from the previous thread nothing is accomplished on message boards.

2) Protection of the people bidding from annoymous snipers criticising and being negative about something that people put significant work into. I think being fairly judged is preferable to this. People will be free to discuss the bids afterwards but there is no benefit to allowing uncensored discussion of the bids on the boards. This is fairer for everyone believe me!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic