NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 01:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Pass action..pick up Nobbla... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PakoOffline
Post subject: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Spain
In order to create this event properly, I already contacted Pippy to assure NAF support. There is an interest from NAF to support the creation of a European Team contest every 4 years (two yeras from WC) so the first one should be set up at 2013.

Spanish community is organizing themselves to propose a bid. But all we (NAF and spaniards) think that every european country should have the chance to bid as well.

Details are still being proposed/discussed (timing, bidding requirements,etc.). This message is only to allow people interested to start considering it.

Hopefully, Pippy will provide us soon the guidelines for submit bids, the time schedule for decisions and the requirements.

This is only to inform that the project is going on and to give all us the same chances to organize it.

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I think calling it the NAF Team Open would be better as it is more clear and distinguishes it from existing events

Jon

PipeyOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 - 12:11 PM

England
The NAF certainly supports team events like these.

Before discussion of any specific details (e.g. bids, hosting etc.), I would recommend a full debate about what the community might want from a tournament like this. Your concept seems to involve participation from all European nations so it would be good for them to have their say.

I guess the questions would be:
- How would the idea fit around existing team events in the calendar e.g. Eurobowl, NAFWC?
- What is the wider appetite for this tournament? Would there be widespread attendance?
- Would NAFWC attendance be affected?
- Is 4-year frequency preferred?
- Other details e.g. name, imagery?

Might be worth a plug on local forums to draw people in to the debate? RTOs could you help with this?

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 - 01:22 PM

personally I think there could be room for an "open" team event, not restricted to nations either if people wanted a mixed team of players from where ever

I also think (as it was mentioned elsewhere before) piggy backing it on top of existing large team tournaments is well worth considering and rotating it around each time

perhaps also give it a higher K value, not as much as the majors but perhaps splitting the difference (the majors attract a larger travelling attendance)

Jon

PakoOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 12:39 AM

Spain
Name is provisional. As Pippy said, we need to discuss a little bit about relative interest of the tournament.

I guess about WC, it could be a smart solution to move WC outside Europe without substracting europeans (that wouldn't travel outside the continent) the chance to get a huge NAF team tournament.

Frequency would grant a different image than Eurobowl, and permits to have it as far as possible from WC, so maximizing the possible attendance.

I hope we could share in some extend the image, ruleset and names with other initiatives similar (Ausbowl, North American team tournament) in order to build a shared worldwide event. Could be a new issue for NAF.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 01:53 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I think an open team tournament every 4 years (2 years after the world cup) is a great idea.

I would give a specifically European name, e.g. NAF European Team Open (NETO Laughing ) but since its Open you are implicitly allowing teams from anywhere to attend.

I don't think there is any time of year that is particularly open... so someone's toes will get trodden on. I'd keep it away from EuroBowl and NAFC time slots - so either July/August or Jan/Feb.

As to whether the NAFWC attendance would be affected, I can't see it TBH - two years is a lot of time for most people to save up, and people who can't afford going to a big team tournament every 2 years are much more likely to pick the world cup over the NETO.

PakoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 02:56 AM

Spain
      Doubleskulls wrote:
but since its Open you are implicitly allowing teams from anywhere to attend.

Yes, but if we manage the business in order to provide a North American Team Torunament and Ausbowl as well, people will focus on their particular continental tournament without restricting the access.

To me, it is a question to make an event in three different localizations (North america, Australia and Europe) in 2013, that could be commented in 2015 at WCIII we all we join the tournament.

I would suggest (NAF) European Team Championship to share the name with americans (hopefully aussies will go on too). They (americans) moved first and I think is their prerogative to save the name and ours to follow in this particular issue.

A consensus could be made in order to have comparable (if not exact) rulesets and image (logos and so).

VolstaggOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Switzerland
      Pako wrote:

I would suggest (NAF) European Team Championship to share the name with americans (hopefully aussies will go on too). They (americans) moved first and I think is their prerogative to save the name and ours to follow in this particular issue.

A consensus could be made in order to have comparable (if not exact) rulesets and image (logos and so).

I also like the idea of sharing the name and having a similar logo in both Tournaments, I think it reinforces the idea of "community".

But we should ask them first, and see there are no IP/Copyright issues. Wink

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: NAF Euro Cup  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 08:23 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
AusBowl (the Australian version) is already running and I suspect unlikely to change name - it shares its name of the Australian regional BB forum and the two are quite closely linked. As its already running they'd have the change management issue of rebranding.

The issue I'm trying to avoid is possible confusion with EuroBowl, the existing European team championship. Including the word Open in the name clearly shows that. Perhaps the North Americans could include Open in their name too?

magictobeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 11:31 AM

Belgium
I am all for an extra team event in Europe but I think it will effect attendence at eurobowl if it will be an extra tournament.

But I like the idea.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Spain
I think Eurobowl attendants are very committed with the tournament. I think they will probably not join the Team Championship instead if they should choose. But most of spanish Eurobowl players told me they will come to both of them.

ValenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 01:58 AM

England
I agree with magictobe, which is why when the WC is on the Eurobowl is not run

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 02:02 AM

Spain
Yes. But we won't mess it up with Eurobowl.

Spanish bid will try to be compatible with Eurobowl, setting up the tournament in different dates.

magictobeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 02:20 AM

Belgium
Yes, I understand that date could be far from eurobowl but two big team tournaments in a year can be harsh on bloodbowl budget Wink

But, again, I am all for NAF euro cup.

Maybe

eurobowl
Naf euro cup
eurobowl
World cup

as schedule?

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 02:23 AM

Spain
I already had a very unpopular relation with Eurobowl. And I won't go into that again (as Pippy's document for NAF sancioning solved the most of my concerns).

So I will pass in this particular issue.

However, I guess people who play Eurobowl are traveling quite a lot around Europe. I guess they will not have problem for play two big tournaments the same year every 4.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic