NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 02:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Groin Strain! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GlamdrynOffline
Post subject: East Coast Circuit?  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 08:01 AM

United States of America
West and Central/Zlurpee have their circuits all set up and they look epic. Where the hell is the east coast?

I officially volunteer to setup a tracking sheet and take information for upcoming tournaments. Id love to see a prize at the end of the year for the winner as well. I update the google maps project at least once a week, so tracking the circuit would not be very much extra work.

The east coast really only has a Canadian scene in Toronto, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec and then a group in Harrisburg, PA. There aren't very many tournaments outside of these areas.

As per the google maps project here are the tournaments that could qualify for an east coast circuit:
Undead Fouling Formal 2012
Capitol City Kick-Off 2012
Daggerbowl V
Gnome Bowl 2012
Atlantic Coast Charity Cup 2012
Beantown Brouhaha V (Unconfirmed)
Pub Bowl 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Blingtoof's Gitbash 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Deathbowl X (Unconfirmed)
Dragon Bowl 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Four Diamonds Cup 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Golden Sweetbun 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Lakeside Cup 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Orion Cup 2012 (Unconfirmed)
Warpstone Cup VI (Unconfirmed)
Power of 1 / Bongo Bowl (Unconfirmed)
The Challenge of Q'ermitt (Unconfirmed)

So as you can see, there are a shit load of tournaments that can show off our BB skillz. I would even propose that the Chaos Cup, Gen Bowl, Zlurpee Bowl, Spike, and West Coast Quake be considered as overlapping tournaments across all 3 circuits as they are the largest tournies in North America.

Last edited by Glamdryn on Jan 24, 2012 - 02:16 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 08:48 AM

United States of America
PROPOSAL:

Copy and modification of ZuitSuit's work (which is excellent by the way):

Official Standings can be found at:

ECGP Standings 2012

To raise the level of competition and encourage travel between east coast North American Blood Bowl communities for tournaments, as well as to encourage additional tournaments to be held, we are continuing the competition in 2012 for the best overall coach in eastern north american tournaments. Any open, NAF sanctioned tournament in eastern North America will be included. These would include, but not limited to:

TBD

The rules will be slightly different this year. I'm trying incentivize and encourage participation and travel between states/provinces for tournament play, while still making it overall a competition for the most dominant coach.

Points will be give for the following:

Part A - Participation:1 point for attending a 1 day event
2 points for a 2 day event

Part B - Traveling: To increase attendance and competition between the many states and provinces of the region, a traveling bonus of 1 point will be awarded for each state/province that you attend a tournament in. You will only receive this extra point once for each state/province. Canada will be broken open into 3 regions:
Toronto, ON
Ottawa, ON
Montreal, QC

Part C: Additional points will be given for final standings in a tourney, determined by the tournament. A tourney will need a minimum of 10 coaches to get these points. Tournaments with 50 participants or more will score x2 points.
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 8 points
3rd place: 6 points
4th place: 5 points
5th place: 4 points
6th place: 3 points
7th place: 2 points
8th place: 1 point

Tournaments with less than 10 participants will score:
1st place: 5 points
2nd place: 3 points
3rd place: 1 points

Tiebreakers will be determined in this order:
1) Total NAF games won in 2012
2) Total NAF games drawn in 2012
3) Total traveling points
4) Total NAF sanctioned tournaments played in 2012

Prizes:
TBD

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Canada
You forgot ...

Montreal , Quebec

Power of 1 / Bongo Bowl

- 2 one day tournaments that we hold the same weekend (1 Sat and the other Sun) at the same local.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 11:08 AM

United States of America
I know Florida had some tournaments at one point... maybe Old Man Monkey was running those? Just going by memory.

Would be awesome to reach of a goal of at least one BB tournament in every state in the US.

Then of course... go to a tournament in every state! A bit tougher goal... Very Happy

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Qermitt?

hasnt been held in 2011, but maybe 2012?

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 12:37 PM

United States of America
Rando was running the East Coast Grand Prix for 2011. Unless he has completely disappeared, you should coordinate with him about 2012...

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 12:41 PM

And maybe, for simplicity, you could have only 2 Canadian regions: Toronto, Cobourg, Niagara falls in one, the other one being Ottawa / Montreal.

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 01:33 PM

United States of America
      Lizardcore wrote:
And maybe, for simplicity, you could have only 2 Canadian regions: Toronto, Cobourg, Niagara falls in one, the other one being Ottawa / Montreal.

If simplicity we are after, I can just push it to State/Province? Itll give people in ottawa and montreal a freebee point, but I think thats ok.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Canada
Like zuitsuitjeff stated above, Rando was already keeping track of the East Coast version of the Grand Prix and if I'm not mistaken will be announcing the Winner(s) at the CCKO this weekend seeing as both of the top 2 participants will be in attendance. There is already a whole forum topic dedicated to this as well, will track it down and post

Rando
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Canada
Hey Glamdryn, thanks for head's up about this conversation. I was hoping you hadn't forgotten about me! Smile

As far as awards are concerned, like you, I was very keen on making sure that there was something for the victors. I have purchased medals for 2011, 2012, and 2013 (since it was cheaper en masse) each of which is engraved with the words "coach of the year 20xx" on the back and they have grand-prix checkered flags on the front (I was hoping to keep it a surprise until the award ceremony this weekend!)

As far as the absence of the post is concerned, that is easily explained as the first tournament on the East Coast is not for a few days yet I felt I had time to work out the last details of how to deal with tie breakers, which deviate from teh west (more on that below).

I feel quite invested in this so far (not just financially) and I would like to continue to manage the ECGP unless there are any strong objections.

As far as the rules are concerned; my primary interest is in making 2012 comparable to 2011 and so the ECGP will be deviating from the west (as the mid-west has done before us) in that there will be no travel points awarded. I am interested in having players this year track their own progress in comparison to last year's coach of the year who won with 40 points. It's a bar that's been set nicely and I would like to see players try and beat it (at least for this year) on the same grounds as those players had last year.

As always, I think conversation and community is important. Please let me know if you guys have any feedback. If not I will make a 2012 post a sticky on the 27th of January and it will not include the travel bonus. There will also be "Hickling's Law" which factors in being the odd man out in a tie breaker (but only to settle a first place tie).

Ryan

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 07:59 AM

United States of America
The main thing I'd like to see is the tournaments participating in the circuit before the year starts, so that people can plan if they want to participate or not.

Right now its pretty much a Canadian circuit, which is a shame. If we can show everything right up front then maybe the interest will increase in the states.

Rando, I am fine with you continuing with the ball, but I think everything should be set up by the end of January to make this thing more official. It shouldnt take too much effort. The biggest thing is to contact all of the TOs and ask them if they want to participate and how theyd like to see the circuit run. I also would like to see more activity on the NAF boards.

I think it would be great if in the ticket price of participating circuit touneys a dollar per person went towards prizes for the circuit. It should make TOs and coaches feel more invested in the system. Right now the points really only matter to about 10-15 coaches, which is pretty sad. I'd like to see the interest in a tournament scene jump up quite a bit.

On the topic of points being comparable between years, I think that is a bad reason for not changing the point structure. Right now there are very few tournaments outside of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Harrisburg. Having comparable points only makes sense if the circuit is relatively static, which we want to not have (we want growth). I think the goal should be to promote more tournaments, not less. We should use the point system to encourage players to spread out and go to far away tournys.

We need more traveling across the border for tournaments.

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Couldn't you guys just do it together ?

I guess that using people's motivation toward a project is always positive ?

I wasnt personally favorable to the travel thing, I don't see it as incentive. For the contribution, I guess each tournament could spare 5 bucks total (not 1 per person). It should be enough to make something with it ?

For the points, it doesnt really mater IMO. I dont think people are going to travel to montreal (800 km !!! ) just to get the extra bonus point.

Maybe the 1 day versus 2 day tournament bonuses is a good idea. The points depending on the number of participants is also a good idea.

Anyway, thanks for taking care of this, and thanks for the surprise (a bit spoiled, but that's ok Wink ).

Rando
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Canada
Hey Glamdryn, It sounds like you are really enthusiastic about trying a few things (like collecting money and adding travel points) which I am not interested in doing. I think you should run the GP for 2012, but let me explain why.

My principal has always encouraged me to try out my crazy ideas in my classroom because he can see how it would probably drive me crazy to NOT do them and I have really benefited from this kind of support (and I think my students have too!). I say, let's have you take it in the direction you want, especially because in this way the community gets to have someone involved from your region and not just the Ottawa region! We will never know otherwise.

I did contact all the TO's over the course of 2011 and the only tournament standings which eluded me were the Tri-State Challenge in NJ, but you can't force people to participate. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Kudos again to Zuitsuitjeff, the very fact that there are discussions like this one happening in the West and Mid-West is testimony to how much fun this is.

Good luck! I hope to play you some time soon!

Ryan

P.S. As for comparison between years, I've always thought that by adding and playing in more tournaments you are simply encouraging people to beat the standard of the previous year by playing in more tournaments than people like Lizardcore, who only needs to show up from time to time and still sits on top due to his high placements. See you soon Lizzy! Smile

*Edited for typos

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Rando wrote:
P.S. As for comparison between years, I've always thought that by adding and playing in more tournaments you are simply encouraging people to beat the standard of the previous year by playing in more tournaments than people like Lizardcore, who only needs to show up from time to time and still sits on top due to his high placements. See you soon Lizzy! Smile

Hey ! 6 tournament in 1 year is the most I have ever played since the comeback of bloodbowl tournaments in 2003 Shocked

nick_namelessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Last year there was a NAF tournament at I-CON on Long Island, but the only people that showed up were a few of us from DorkaMorka in Boston.

DorkaMorka has a pretty sizeable group of players but we appear to be the only players in the region that are willing to come out of our shell. I have reached out to several local gaming stores and groups trying to drum up interest but keep coming up empty-handed.

I put together a rules packet for a tournament last year, a doubles-team tournament, but it didn't look to go very far when I was failing to get that interest generated.

If the Beantown Brouha gets reborn then the chances of a few other tournies popping up in our area increase. Hopefully those folks will get things running again sometime soon Smile

DMBBL

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic